UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Newell: I can compete with anyone in the UFC

8/13/13 11:00 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Nick Newell and is now 1-0 in the World Series of Fighting, and 10-0 as an undefeated professional mixed martial artist. That is impressive on it's own, never mind Newell did it with only one arm, his other being deformed since child birth. Throughout his career, Newell has consistently proved the naysayers wrong and believes he has what it takes to compete at the highest level of the sport, in the UFC:

“That’s really the only [promotion] that’s bigger,” said Newell. “But I love the way World Series promotes their fighters and they put me on the main card which is amazing. UFC is the biggest, I could compete with anyone in the UFC and make it a good fight. I’ve been saying that forever, it’s just no one believed me until probably now.”

“I was a free agent and I signed with World Series of Fighting and I couldn’t be happier. They’re on the up and they really know what they’re doing. I’m not going to complain and like say I want to be somewhere else. I’m very happy.”

read entire article...

8/13/13 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He absolutely wants to be in the UFC. Understand him not coming right out and saying it but its pretty obvious. I love watching this guy fight and hope he continues to win so we can one day see him fight against the best.
8/13/13 11:35 PM
WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - He absolutely wants to be in the UFC. Understand him not coming right out and saying it but its pretty obvious. I love watching this guy fight and hope he continues to win so we can one day see him fight against the best.

^

8/13/13 11:37 PM
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U -
Kings21 - He absolutely wants to be in the UFC. Understand him not coming right out and saying it but its pretty obvious. I love watching this guy fight and hope he continues to win so we can one day see him fight against the best.

^

^ Phone Post
8/13/13 11:38 PM
Andersons_Chin
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rudi -

^

^ Phone Post
^ Phone Post 3.0
8/13/13 11:52 PM
RKing85
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he certainly can't compete with everyone in the UFC, but there are certainly some UFC fighters that he could beat.
8/13/13 11:55 PM
allforroy
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - he certainly can't compete with everyone in the UFC, but there are certainly some UFC fighters that he could beat.
This is probably the closest to reality. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 12:12 AM
NFABeeJay
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huge fan of Nicks, but I honestly don't think Dana wants him in the UFC because of the possibility of him beating a few UFC fighters. Obviously he isn't beating top 10 guys(yet) and that's the reason I believe he won't be marketed in the UFC world. Just my 2 cents. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 12:19 AM
GooseLeeMMA

I like him and what he's accomplished but give him any good wrestler w td defense and he has no chance. Not to sound rude but to me vs Caldwell he had difficulty locking anything up and keeping him down.. His standup wasn't bad at all tho. I like watching him fight Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 12:22 AM
ruger007
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could fight in the woman's division in CA with the new law they passed...not being disrespectful just thinking out loud.
8/14/13 12:58 AM
Mika_

NFABeeJay - Huge fan of Nicks, but I honestly don't think Dana wants him in the UFC because of the possibility of him beating a few UFC fighters. Obviously he isn't beating top 10 guys(yet) and that's the reason I believe he won't be marketed in the UFC world. Just my 2 cents. Phone Post 3.0
I am quite sure that the reason is the exact opposite. They are worried that he will be beaten, or in particular KOd, and how the general public would respond to that. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 1:32 AM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mika_ - 
NFABeeJay - Huge fan of Nicks, but I honestly don't think Dana wants him in the UFC because of the possibility of him beating a few UFC fighters. Obviously he isn't beating top 10 guys(yet) and that's the reason I believe he won't be marketed in the UFC world. Just my 2 cents. Phone Post 3.0
I am quite sure that the reason is the exact opposite. They are worried that he will be beaten, or in particular KOd, and how the general public would respond to that. Phone Post 3.0

This is how I understand it as well. If he wins then they can easily market him as a one armed wonder who is doing amazing things (which is already true) but if he loses, especially if he's brutally KO'd, it looks pretty terrible to the general public. Personally I think Dana wants to see the guy continue to beat better and better competition and eventually force his hand in signing him. I think they'd throw him on a televised prelim. It would be great ratings if promoted well. Its just a huge risk at this point. He's still relatively unproven, though he's continued to look good with each step up.
8/14/13 1:40 AM
ChaosOverkill
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there's no reason not to give this guy a shot with all the Weak Brazillian talent that have less fights and worse records they have scooped up.

8/14/13 1:43 AM
ChaosOverkill
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - 
Mika_ - 

This is how I understand it as well. If he wins then they can easily market him as a one armed wonder who is doing amazing things (which is already true) but if he loses, especially if he's brutally KO'd, it looks pretty terrible to the general public. Personally I think Dana wants to see the guy continue to beat better and better competition and eventually force his hand in signing him. I think they'd throw him on a televised prelim. It would be great ratings if promoted well. Its just a huge risk at this point. He's still relatively unproven, though he's continued to look good with each step up.

I think it's a bit of both, if Newell beat some heavily touted prospect or someone they push, I think Dana will consider it more embarssing that an regular loss to that fighter and hurt their marketability in that someone with a hancidap is beating their "big bad best in the world", and I think there is the fear that if he get's hurt by something that can remotely be attributed to his not being able to defend it from having on full arm and hand, they think will give a reason for the Culinary Union to attack them with teeth.

8/14/13 1:53 AM
bknumber1
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing wrong with a little self promotion. I wish him the best of luck! Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 3:22 AM
DarkHelmet

bknumber1 - Nothing wrong with a little self promotion. I wish him the best of luck! Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 3:36 AM
xAdRockx
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I asked DFW about Nick Newell in February in London. I can't remember the ins and outs but basically, it was a no.
8/14/13 3:39 AM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

xAdRockx - I asked DFW about Nick Newell in February in London. I can't remember the ins and outs but basically, it was a no.
Theres guys in his weight that have names he can beat to get the ufc's attention Phone Post
8/14/13 3:45 AM
xaeo

Mika_ -
this and only this. Everyone else is just being nice. the ufc would get ripped apart if he fought. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 9:32 AM
Chris27

He can beat the bottom guys, probably beat some mid guys but he loses to mid guys and the top guys.

Like I dont think he beats Melvin, I dont think he beats Lauzon.  Forget Bendo, Pettis, Grant, Maynard etc cause they all beat him.

But if he keeps winning he should get a shot in the UFC.

8/14/13 9:44 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can appreciate where he's coming from, but he's gonna get some "L's" on that record if joins the UFC.

It wasn't always stacked in the UFC, but it is now, and the guys coming in always have targets on their back.

Serious question, does ZUFFA fear Nick getting bloodied and beaten on a national television card?
8/14/13 9:45 AM
Slapsymaxi
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax -
xAdRockx - I asked DFW about Nick Newell in February in London. I can't remember the ins and outs but basically, it was a no.
Theres guys in his weight that have names he can beat to get the ufc's attention Phone Post
I think he said he left XFC because he wanted to fight former UFC guys and other names that would get him noticed...

His aggression, athletic ability and heart are high level. His skill is good.

I'm worried that his aggression and heart could lead to a really vicious loss if he fights one of the killers in the division... Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 9:56 AM
cripplersc
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess WSOF is doing a lightweight tournament that will likely have him facing Dan Lauzon. If he wins the tournament or beats Dan or even Tyson Griffin I think he should at least get a spot on TUF if not get a shot on a undercard of a ufc. Phone Post
8/14/13 2:11 PM
n3g
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think some people here are confusing what he said. He didn't say he could beat anyone in the UFC. He said he could compete with anyone in the UFC.

That's really all he has ever asked for. Is the chance to compete just like everyone else. Without people judging him based on something they don't know anything about.

I think he absolutely can compete with anyone in the lightweight division. He has 9 finishes in the first round including a brutal knockout by knee.

Anyone who thinks he can't compete in the lightweight division doesn't know fighting. Anything can happen when you trust your heart, chin, conditioning and are willing to move forward and aggressively look for the finish at every second of the fight.
8/14/13 2:20 PM
Ozzabong

Andersons_Chin -
Rudi -

^

^ Phone Post
^ Phone Post 3.0
Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.