UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: My dream fight? Cody McKenzie, or Wand

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/14/13 10:31 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1421 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a recent piece for SI/CNN, Jeff Wagenheim relates a moment in a recent interview with Chael Sonnen, in which Wagenheim's 10-year-old son got to ask Chael Sonnen a question. Son and father were on the way to a bluegrass festival with a work detour through Boston.

It is pure Chael.

"OK," Aaron said a bit shyly, looking down at his nearly empty lemonade bottle. Then he looked up at Chael and said, "OK, if weight was not an issue, and you could choose anyone, who would you want to fight?"

Sonnen leaned toward my boy and smiled. "I would want to fight the smallest guy with the worst record in the largest venue for the biggest paycheck," he said, eyes dancing. He was speaking slowly and deliberately in order to make sure every word was heard and understood. In other words, he was doing what he always does: connecting with his audience. "I would need a second to figure out who that fighter is. I would imagine it's Cody McKenzie." Chael sat back, then leaned forward again. "No, I know who it is. The worst guy under contract with the UFC is clearly Wanderlei. Wanderlei Silva, there's your answer."

Aaron stared ahead, blankly. I imagined that he was thinking, "Is that plastic figure I have in my room of Wanderlei Silva or Anderson Silva?"

Sonnen had a different idea of what was going through my boy's head. "I know what you're thinking," he said. "You're thinking, 'What about CroCop?' And you're right: CroCop was terrible. But I would probably fight Wanderlei."

I am not sure my kid knows who Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic is. But he was satisfied by the answer. He enjoyed it a lot, in fact, judging by the smile.

But Sonnen wasn't finished with him. He looked down by Aaron's feet, where the boy's black fiddle case sat. Becasue of the oppressive heat, we didn't dare leave the instrument in the car, with the tent and other camping supplies. "Now let me ask you a question," said Chael. "Can you play 'The Orange Blossom Special'?"

Read entire article...

Chael Sonnen fights Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua in the main event of UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen on FOX Sports 1 on Saturday night.

8/14/13 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol poor cody Phone Post
8/14/13 10:40 AM
MEOWticket
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/14/13 10:50 AM
< img src="http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59e8uYhOq1ry1rm7o1_400.gif"
8/14/13 10:52 AM
MEOWticket
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MEOWticket - < img src="http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59e8uYhOq1ry1rm7o1_400.gif"
Damn it!

Phone Post
8/14/13 10:54 AM
forrestfan
425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the sad thing is Cody would sub him
8/14/13 10:55 AM
BshMstr
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/14/13 10:54 AM
funny, for a guy with the submission defense that Chael has (or lack thereof), he calls out a guy with the 3rd most guillotine subs in the world...
8/14/13 11:33 AM
EckY
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CroCop of today would beat Chael.
8/14/13 11:40 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

I'd like to see him fight Mirko. Weigh in at 207 chael.

8/14/13 11:57 AM
Card
2684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/14/13 12:14 PM
nesdaM
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the title alone you could foresee a couple of gifs.

I do not feel let down.
8/14/13 12:14 PM
Mustard Tiger
718 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/14/13 12:22 PM
yunshan

Chael is an amazing character and one of my fav male mma athletes. Great story and funny. Phone Post
8/14/13 12:30 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cody would probably guillotine chael

8/14/13 12:36 PM
Aaron Becker

yunshan -  Chael is an amazing character and one of my fav male mma athletes. Great story and funny. Phone Post

you have favorite female mma athletes? I find it funny that you even mention male
8/14/13 12:49 PM
UGCTT_RoryStyledMyBaconberger
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol so much butthurt in here. People actually saying Cody would sub Chael. Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 12:59 PM
Augustus Caesar
918 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rudi - Lol poor cody Phone Post
LOL...

That was still hilarious by Chael. Phone Post
8/14/13 1:22 PM
Phil999

Chael can go on forever about Wand but there is no way he can beat the way Wand owned him in the limo.

Never mind a response to a question he already knew was coming.
8/14/13 1:24 PM
epwar
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The sad part?  Chael will look terrible in the Shogun fight (he hasn't looked good post-TRT regulation) and then Dana will give him another main event.

8/14/13 1:25 PM
Aaron Becker

Phil999 - Chael can go on forever about Wand but there is no way he can beat the way Wand owned him in the limo.

because he avoided a heated exchange in a vehicle? He was trying to act civilized, ever heard of "not here not now"?
8/14/13 1:26 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leonard Garcia doesn't get the respect he deserves in these conversations Phone Post
8/14/13 1:35 PM
Phil999

Aaron Becker - 
Phil999 - Chael can go on forever about Wand but there is no way he can beat the way Wand owned him in the limo.

because he avoided a heated exchange in a vehicle? He was trying to act civilized, ever heard of "not here not now"?

Nice try.
8/14/13 1:38 PM
The Lurker Below

CC would knock him out with a high five
8/14/13 1:43 PM
Aaron Becker

Phil999 - 
Aaron Becker - 

Nice try.

you're a moron
8/14/13 2:20 PM
JayBRO
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao Cody would sub Chael in a fight? Come on son, he wasnt lying, Cody is one if the worst overall fighters in the UFC. Not fighter bashing, but on a ranking scale, he'd be down there Phone Post 3.0
8/14/13 2:44 PM
I LOVE GSP

lol.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.