UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Austin BBQ Spots - TME

8/16/13 5:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
psujunglist
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Headed to Austin again on September for the Black Crowes show at Moody. Now, I have been to Franklin, Mueller, Stiles, and Stubbs. Anywhere else have comparable brisket/BBQ in the area? Phone Post 3.0
8/16/13 6:03 PM
slo ko
1141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Salt Lick and Rudy's

Get the sausages and brisket (moist) at both places

8/16/13 6:06 PM
kickasspoolparty
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklins! Phone Post 3.0
8/16/13 6:11 PM
pitbullismyfather
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Salt lick down the road in driftwood. Go early with a cooler and have some beer and lounge with friends.

Do the family platter $20 (cash only). Unlimited refills. When you're done eating, get another refill and you can take your food to go! Phone Post 3.0
8/16/13 6:16 PM
psujunglist
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard good things about Salt Lick. VTFU Phone Post 3.0
8/16/13 6:27 PM
slo ko
1141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

by the way, assuming you're flying in, avoid the temptation to get an early start by eating at the airport Salt Lick. It is NOT the same.

8/16/13 7:12 PM
psujunglist

slo ko - 

by the way, assuming you're flying in, avoid the temptation to get an early start by eating at the airport Salt Lick. It is NOT the same.

Yeah, I have heard it's not even close.

I am coming out from San Diego and we do not have BBQ like the Austin area.

Have you ever ventured out to Lockhart? I hear that is the spot too. I am a HUGE fan of John Mueller's place and of course Franklin is legit too. I am trying to get to as many spots as I can with the wife while we are there this time. Thanks for the feedback!
8/16/13 7:14 PM
UGCTT_Messiah
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

psujunglist - 
slo ko - 

Yeah, I have heard it's not even close.

I am coming out from San Diego and we do not have BBQ like the Austin area.

Have you ever ventured out to Lockhart? I hear that is the spot too. I am a HUGE fan of John Mueller's place and of course Franklin is legit too. I am trying to get to as many spots as I can with the wife while we are there this time. Thanks for the feedback!

Don't go to the Salt Lick in Westlake either. Take the time to go out to Driftwood to the real one, it's more than worth the drive.
8/16/13 7:17 PM
tubuku01
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slo ko -

Salt Lick and Rudy's

Rudys is shit and waaay overrated. Phone Post
8/16/13 9:29 PM
slo ko

tubuku01 - 
slo ko -

Salt Lick and Rudy's

Tread lightly

8/16/13 10:24 PM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/16/13 10:25 PM
is franklins good? its featured in that chase commercial with chef nobu

anthony bourdain went there too

3 hour wait ???
8/16/13 10:57 PM
pendejopresident
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beef ribs at county line on the lake are incredible. Phone Post
8/16/13 11:00 PM
Right Hand JO Power
1188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slo ko -
tubuku01 - 
slo ko -

Salt Lick and Rudy's

Tread lightly

I like Rudys. I have lived in Austin for over 10 years and sure there is better around, but for the price and consistency, i will always defend rudys. Phone Post
8/16/13 11:09 PM
UGCTT_Messiah
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tubuku01 -
slo ko -

Salt Lick and Rudy's

I fail to see how a place that claims to be "the worst BBQ in Texas" could be overrated. Phone Post 3.0
8/16/13 11:16 PM
cheesesteak
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Threadgills
8/16/13 11:18 PM
Ogami

You've been to good places, and there's nothing wrong with anything that's been mentioned so far, but fuck them all and head to Lockhart and go to Black's.
8/16/13 11:21 PM
Ogami

sreiter - is franklins good? its featured in that chase commercial with chef nobu

3 hour wait ???

Franklin's brisket is mighty tasty, and worth the wait for the experience alone. That said, if I want the best brisket I've had so far (note the qualifier) I head to Chappell Hill.
8/16/13 11:27 PM
FaceToFace
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ogami - You've been to good places, and there's nothing wrong with anything that's been mentioned so far, but fuck them all and head to Lockhart and go to Black's.

This^...or go to Luling and eat at the City Market. The best BBQ in the world IMO. Their sauce is the shit.

8/16/13 11:29 PM
JDV
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LA barbecue and dont fucking question me! Phone Post
8/16/13 11:35 PM
Chris's Weidman in Tom O'Butthole
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't go to Lockhart or Luling or Driftwood, because A) None of those places are in Austin and B) there is plenty of good BBQ right near downtown: Green Mesquite, Iron Works, and County Line are all awesome. Phone Post
8/16/13 11:41 PM
tubuku01
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Messiah -
tubuku01 -
slo ko -

Salt Lick and Rudy's

I fail to see how a place that claims to be "the worst BBQ in Texas" could be overrated. Phone Post 3.0
There's a couple of rudys down here in san antonio and it's always being pimped out as tge best bbq joint every year but there are several places that do it better, It didn't even make texas monthlys 50 best. Two bros and willies are good shit though. Phone Post
8/16/13 11:48 PM
Chris's Weidman in Tom O'Butthole
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, while Blacks (40 minutes from downtown if there is no traffic) has great brisket and sausage, it is not worth the drive and there is nothing else in Lockhart. Whoever suggested you drive to Luling (which constantly smells like a steamed fart) is out of their mind, it is at least an hour away. Salt Lick has ok meat (personally I think it is overrated) and NO BBQ sauce, which is a part of Texas BBQ (you want dry rub take your ass to Memphis). Phone Post
8/17/13 9:07 AM
slo ko

Locals, what's the name of that place that was featured on MvF, which is in a trailer and has people buying them out daily? I remember the big draw being burnt ends.

8/17/13 9:30 AM
Rhymenoceros
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sreiter - is franklins good? its featured in that chase commercial with chef nobu

3 hour wait ???

3 hours? More like 4, at least. And yeah, it's worth it.
8/17/13 9:36 AM
SickEyeDiaz
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm jealous OP...I love The Black Crowes and BBQ!

I have a question for people from Austin...Is 'The Texas Chili Parlor' from Death Proof  a real place? I'm pretty sure I read that it was.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.