UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Blackzilians really paid Reem $500k

8/17/13 11:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fight4right
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember a lot of talk that Blackzilians paid Reem $500k to join team after he beat Brock. He has since been suspended for a year and lost two consecutive fights. If true that may be the worst MMA investment ever. Phone Post 3.0
8/17/13 11:17 PM
funwithbakedgoods

I was just thinking that. What an epic fail
8/17/13 11:20 PM
DTAlexONE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kind of fight model is that??

I thought the orgs paid the fighters. Do the blackzilians take his purse or something?? Phone Post 3.0
8/17/13 11:21 PM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would they pay him? I thought fighters shared a small percentage of their purse with their gym......
8/17/13 11:22 PM
12SixElbow
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apparently he is a horrible "team mate" anyway, and just has his own trainers and does his own thing. As opposed to really being part of the team. Horrible idea.

8/17/13 11:25 PM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ShanTheMan - Why would they pay him? I thought fighters shared a small percentage of their purse with their gym......
You would think. Phone Post 3.0
8/17/13 11:30 PM
fight4right

There have been many stories about a rich fan named Glenn Robinson offering a bunch of ATT fighters money to leave the team and start their own. They were supposedly all put on the payroll and they went on a spending spree trying to make a mega-team overnight by paying guys to leave their camps and join the Blackzilians.

Reem decided to move to the US and was supposed to fight for the belt and Robinson allegedly paid him $500k to join his team. Many of the fighters went there have performed relatively poorly and coaches have been hired and fired routinely and lots of people have enjoyed their failure based on the way the team started.

Reem is the poster boy of the spend big philosophy blowing up in their faces. Phone Post 3.0
8/17/13 11:32 PM
BernardHopkins

Edited: 08/17/13 11:32 PM
Kostakio - 
UGCTT_ShanTheMan - Why would they pay him? I thought fighters shared a small percentage of their purse with their gym......
You would think. Phone Post 3.0

8/17/13 11:32 PM
WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overeasy

8/17/13 11:51 PM
Tiguel Morres

Glenn Robinson is a highly successful businessman. It doesn't seem logical that he would make an investment like that without having some kind of guaranteed return. Dont forget Overeem does have a huge contract which the management gets a portion of. Also he could win 2 fights in row and still get a title fight. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 12:33 AM
fight4right

Tiguel Morres - Glenn Robinson is a highly successful businessman. It doesn't seem logical that he would make an investment like that without having some kind of guaranteed return. Dont forget Overeem does have a huge contract which the management gets a portion of. Also he could win 2 fights in row and still get a title fight. Phone Post 3.0
Wasn't a business move for him. It was an ego move. Rich guy joins an mma gym and thinks UFC is cool so he offers some of the fighters cash to leave their gym and start their own. He gets his name in the media and fighters mention him on tv in their interviews. Now he is a "star" and his ego is stroked and he wants his team to be the best and he wants it overnight so he tries to buy the best talent he can find.

Reem was going to fight for the belt and Robinson thought he'd win and was willing to pay $500k to get that belt for his team. I think his approach sucked and like seeing it blow up on his face. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 12:44 AM
Panda head
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U -

Overeasy

I just lol'd at work Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 11:31 AM
fight4right

Tiguel Morres - Glenn Robinson is a highly successful businessman. It doesn't seem logical that he would make an investment like that without having some kind of guaranteed return. Dont forget Overeem does have a huge contract which the management gets a portion of. Also he could win 2 fights in row and still get a title fight. Phone Post 3.0
Reem had that contract before he came to the Blackzilians. His deal with Robinson was supposedly $500k in return for a % of his sponsorships and hopefully to win a belt for his team. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 12:19 PM
Hikikomori

LOL @ quoting FRONTROWBRIAN's bullshit as fact.

Fight4right is a huge HATER of the Blackzilians.

He couldnt post shit about Michael Johnson and Rashad winning so he decides to dredge up an old unfounded rumor.
8/18/13 9:24 PM
fight4right

Hikikomori - LOL @ quoting FRONTROWBRIAN's bullshit as fact.

Fight4right is a huge HATER of the Blackzilians.

He couldnt post shit about Michael Johnson and Rashad winning so he decides to dredge up an old unfounded rumor.
I agree I am a Blackzilian hater. I think it is pathetic that a rich fanboy wants a new toy so pays guys to leave their gyms to join his "team". Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:22 PM
Gomrad

Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson had great range as a shooter... Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:30 PM
44 Magnum
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gomrad - Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson had great range as a shooter... Phone Post 3.0

LOL... part of the fab 5 at Michigan. This story HAS to be made up
8/18/13 10:38 PM
slowdiver
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is interesting since I have never heard of this kind of thing, but I guess I don't really care how people so much richer than me spend cash. Good for them? Phone Post
8/18/13 10:45 PM
Carson's Corner radio show

44 Magnum - 
Gomrad - Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson had great range as a shooter... Phone Post 3.0

Which one of the Fab 5 was he, Jalen Rose?

8/18/13 10:55 PM
Dr Schopenhauer

I personably know Glenn and he is a good fella and will make a big difference in mma. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 11:04 PM
44 Magnum
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Schopenhauer - I personably know Glenn and he is a good fella and will make a big difference in mma. Phone Post 3.0

Strong BJJ I hear..strong to quite strong. Referred to as Glenjitsu
8/18/13 11:06 PM
44 Magnum

Carson's Corner radio show - 
44 Magnum - 

Yes, before Weber called a timeout
8/20/13 8:54 AM
Gomrad

44 Magnum -
Carson's Corner radio show - 
44 Magnum - 

Yes, before Weber called a timeout
My memory is fading but I think Robinson played college ball at Purdue Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 9:18 AM
Kneeblock
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These last few posts really made this thread pop. Phone Post
8/20/13 9:38 AM
AJDavis
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know, lots of the people in the business took years to build guys from various stages in their careers. Glen went out and started buying these fighters off these people. Unethical enough, but you could say its business, although its stupid business from an economical stand point, because the numbers paid would never reflect the possible revenue brought back. The worse part in this, is the fact that most of the guys that went to BZ, saw their careers take a down turn, if not be ruined. Its a sorry story. There are no short cuts, nor no miracles in MMA. If you want a winning team, money is not enough. You need leadership and experience. Ego will never replace that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.