UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Will the UFC cut Alistair Overeem?

8/18/13 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Alistair Overeem, the first man to ever hold major world heavyweight titles in both kickboxing and MMA, entered the UFC on a 10-fight win streak. There was a level of fan expectation around the Dutchman exceeded only by that for Brock Lesnar.

Then 'Reem kneed Lesnar out of the sport. And he had taken the Lesnar fight over an offered immediate title fight, so he wouldn't have to wait around. Fans were delerious.

That was 20 months ago.

Weeks before the title shot, Overeem tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone, and was suspended by the Nevada Athletic Commission.

When he finally fought, he was knocked out by Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva. And Saturday night he was defeated by Travis Browne, not via wrestling or Jiu-Jitsu, but by the simplest kick in kickboxing - a front kick.

Overeem is not cheap. His reported purse for beating Lesnar as $385,000. He officially made $285,000 for losing to Bigfoot. What happened?

UFC president Dana White offered a clear assessment at the UFN 26 post-fight press conference.

"You guys especially all believed that he was the best at one time," said White. "He had a big following, and we bring a guy like that in and you see what happens. We bring in the best guys in the world, guys who are supposedly the best guys in the world and we find out, that's what we do."

When asked if Overeem would be released, White was uncharacterisitically uncertain.

"I don't know," said White. "We need to see. These are not the decisions I make tonight."

What do you think UG? Will they retain Overeem? And if so, who is next?

8/18/13 10:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/18/13 10:10 AM

He will get another fight.  He's exciting.  Overrated, but definitely fun to watch. Since the UFC seems interested in getting Struve punch drunk before 30 maybe he will be next.

8/18/13 10:10 AM
ipponssting
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No point in releasing him yet. 3 strikes and he's done, but he was beating up Bigfoot til he lost and another referee may easily have stopped the Browne fight. Plus, win lose or draw, he's an exciting fighter Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:14 AM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His physique, and the remainder of his paper-tiger lineal-champion hype will get him one or two more fights.

I predicted he would wash out of the UFC in straight losses... The horse meat and death bed Lesnar kind of ruined that. But I wasn't far off. He's gone, unless they feed him someone very hand-picked.
8/18/13 10:14 AM
Kick Boxe
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no

8/18/13 10:20 AM
Kostakio
529 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ipponssting - No point in releasing him yet. 3 strikes and he's done, but he was beating up Bigfoot til he lost and another referee may easily have stopped the Browne fight. Plus, win lose or draw, he's an exciting fighter Phone Post 3.0
This.

I want Overeem vs. Jordan. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:22 AM
Authority Figure

He's got two more UFC fights in him. And he will make folks pay for doubting him.

8/18/13 10:23 AM
mghan44
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overeem is still a huge draw, an exciting fighter to watch and can still potentially beat any HW on any given night. No fucking way UFC cuts him.
8/18/13 10:23 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Not just yet but they must warn him to sort his act out or he's gone. He shoulda won both fights but... Coulda, shoulda, woulda gets you fuck all. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:24 AM
jack_wilshere
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No obviously the UFC won't cut Reem. He's a bigger name than 99% of the roster and fights in the thinnest division. Overeem also has the look to attract casual fans, even though his physique is slightly less über than in the past.

$300,000 or whatever his purse was, is peanuts to the UFC. And at the end of the day regardless of the outcomes, Reem's last two fights were both highly entertaining and will help promote first Bigfoot and now Happa in the future.

The only reason Dana sounds hesitant is for leverage in future contract negotiations, which he sees as his fights (according to Handy) since Dana can't fight ufc.

Reem will continue to fight in the UFC for sure - he has fans all over world, especially in Japan and I've yet to see a boring fight of his. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:24 AM
Wilson_20
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might look at how much there paying him for his performance. Similar to the Jon Fitch scenario Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:27 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alistair Vs Big Country next please Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:30 AM
The Principal
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he wasn't getting paid so much, I'd say he be around a bit longer. I can't see them keeping him around with what he's paid if he's losing. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:31 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Mix6APlix - wait till the piss test comes back hot.

fuck reem.
Goodnight sweet Prince. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:31 AM
TheHaunted2

I thought the last time he got ko'd would have given him a kick up the back side and to respect his opponent. Hopefully he will do it in his next fight because he will difintely be cut Phone Post
8/18/13 10:32 AM
Steve4192
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They might not cut him, but you can bet your ass they're going to offer him a 'pay cut or get cut' ultimatum (also known as a Werdum).
8/18/13 10:34 AM
JOESONDO
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio -
ipponssting - No point in releasing him yet. 3 strikes and he's done, but he was beating up Bigfoot til he lost and another referee may easily have stopped the Browne fight. Plus, win lose or draw, he's an exciting fighter Phone Post 3.0
This.

I want Overeem vs. Jordan. Phone Post 3.0
That's a great idea! Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:37 AM
TuLegit

They won't cut him yet. They'll give him some can like Barry to crush in hopes of a strong return. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:43 AM
Pessimist_Pete

Just give him Mir or Big Nog next so he can get back in the win column. The he'll be 2-2 in UFC. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:49 AM
DNAsmoothie
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a possibility, my guess he gets one more shot Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 10:54 AM
kinson

I think it would make sense to cut reem I don't think the ufc will. There is still money in another reem lose. So one more fight. Phone Post
8/18/13 10:55 AM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 more fight for Reem!

maybe Struve or something.
8/18/13 11:01 AM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he gets one more fight on the other hand I could understand letting him go he probably has a sweet deal. Or keep him around so Bjork doesn't pick him up. Phone Post
8/18/13 11:04 AM
Chris27

I dont think they should but it wouldnt shock me.  I think you give him someone like Nog or Struve next, maybe a Hunt rematch.

But all I could think of last night was imagine if he did get to fight Cain or JDS?  They woudl have destroyed him.  He clearly is the same Reem we saw in 2010 without his special (horse meat).

8/18/13 11:06 AM
eljamaiquino

They should cut Shogun first if you want to be logical about it. Rua's performance over the past 2 years has been much worse than Overeem....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.