UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC Fight Night on FS1 does 1.71m viewers

8/18/13 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/18/13 7:26 PM

The main card (8-11 pm ET) averaged 1.71 million viewers - or 10 times what SPEED, FOX Soccer and FUEL TV did combined in previous year.

8/18/13 6:08 PM
Clarence Parents
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/18/13 6:16 PM
iHazpoopz
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This sounds really stupid question. But does this mean it bombed? Didn't they have like 90 million homesv Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 6:17 PM
Poptarts
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not bad, I expect the next card will do a bit better like 2.4Million.

Hopefully the UFC can keep this shit rollin'.
8/18/13 6:17 PM
i remember halloween

No, 1.7M is a HUGE success for the first night of a brand new network. Bellator does like 400K.
8/18/13 6:20 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iHazpoopz - This sounds really stupid question. But does this mean it bombed? Didn't they have like 90 million homesv Phone Post 3.0

No, that is decent under the circumstances. It is a new channel that did not even appear on the listings until that morning. And my guide did not even list the event until that afternoon.

For comparison, the last UFC on Fox card averaged 2.04 million and that was network television.

8/18/13 6:21 PM
Team GDP
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iHazpoopz - This sounds really stupid question. But does this mean it bombed? Didn't they have like 90 million homesv Phone Post 3.0

: Do you know what numbers they needed to be considered a true success?” This was the network's first day. Huge success.

The ratings were higher than the average of all 8 previous UFC on FX events and the total viewers more than 7 of the 8 main cards on FX.

Okay, 1.71 mil average would be a pretty obvious success. like...very much a success. Which is good as the card was fantastic

8/18/13 6:24 PM
FOTN
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm impressed - thought that it might do about the 1 million mark. They've ended up doing more than the majority of the FX live shows on a less well known channel.
8/18/13 6:25 PM
slamming
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not too bad. Next one might crack 2m. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 6:28 PM
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their debut on FX, an established channel, in Jan. 2012 drew 1.3 million, so this should be considered a success.

8/18/13 6:31 PM
Kirik
1601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Next one will be better still, as the fighters delivered. Watching that show on free tv was kind of surreal for me.

8/18/13 6:34 PM
epwar
646 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Next one will be better still, as the fighters delivered. Watching that show on free tv was kind of surreal for me.

I think the next show will do less in terms of viewers as it isn't as stacked and won't have nearly the promotion.

8/18/13 6:42 PM
ghost842
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good numbers but I think this was realistically a PPV worthy card. Phone Post 3.0
8/18/13 6:44 PM
Chris27

Wow thats actually huge, thats the average so its safe to assume the peak was over 2 mill.

8/18/13 6:44 PM
Porkchop

epwar - 
Kirik - 

I think the next show will do less in terms of viewers as it isn't as stacked and won't have nearly the promotion.

Yeah there is no way they will keep stacking cards like that. They built that card for the opening of the FS1 channel and they will taper them down to what they normally are.
8/18/13 6:47 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm amazed. Brand new network. Even the UG couldnt find the channel to watch the fights. MMALogic was expecting numbers as low as 600k and as high as 1.3m

Awesome numbers. FOX should be happy.
8/18/13 6:50 PM
FOTN
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget that the next two live events are on Wednesday night's so that'll have an impact on the ratings.

Also, this was the launch night so there were people tuning in out of curiousity, so ratings are likely to fall.

Nevertheless, I still feel it was a really promising start and hopefully casual sports fans that were tuning in liked what they saw as it was a great night of fights.
8/18/13 6:53 PM
RicGillespie

Wonder what the main event peaked at?
8/18/13 6:56 PM
Dana Stern

Huge success, It wasn't even in my guide so the average person who would want to watch without really putting effort would struggle to find it. UFC really is the brand for the people and people like to hate in anything that does well, but Dana and them are fans like us in the end and have the passion like we all do which is why they are light years ahead of any slimy Bellator or whatever mediocre promotion. ZUFFA has spent time and money to invest in their brand and sport and no other promotion has or does that. Watching 5 free hours straight on one channel for free to debut a new network for FOX is amazing considering where they brought the sport from. Then to turn around and dish out bonuses after bonuses when it wasn't even a PPV card really shows what kind of people that are running the show are about. Phone Post
8/18/13 6:59 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. I'd love if this channel became a good alternative to ESPN Phone Post
8/18/13 7:07 PM
Chris27

FOTN - Don't forget that the next two live events are on Wednesday night's so that'll have an impact on the ratings.

Also, this was the launch night so there were people tuning in out of curiousity, so ratings are likely to fall.

Nevertheless, I still feel it was a really promising start and hopefully casual sports fans that were tuning in liked what they saw as it was a great night of fights.

All FN will now be on Wed, only Sat events will be Fox, PPV, FS1 PPV prelims and maybe international events that air on FS2.

So no more Fight Night live FS1 Sat night cards.  Cards wont be as good and Wed night will mean lower ratings.

How low is what will determine success.  IF they can hit 1-1.3/4 mill which is close to what alot of UFC on FX Sat cards did it will be a success.  If they only do 700k it wont be a success.

I also dont think these numbers were based on casual fans, Fox shows that do 4 plus mill are because casual fans, right now you have about 1-2.5 mill mma fans that will tune in for cards no matter teh station, Fox, FX, now FS1.

I think they are the UFC base fans and they tuned in for this card. 

8/18/13 7:07 PM
Ocean6

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Wow. I'd love if this channel became a good alternative to ESPN Phone Post

I don't know. Everything they have put out so far shows them trying to take the looney path of comedian sports journalism.
8/18/13 7:15 PM
DanChow
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fox Sports 1 got off to an impressive debut Saturday night doing a 1.33 rating and 1.71 million viewers for the three-hour main card headlined by Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Chael Sonnen based on Nielsen's fast nationals.

The rating is the key, because FOX Spots 1 was not in as many homes as FX. The company's most successful card on Spike, the Jan. 19 show headlined by Michael Bisping vs. Virtor Belfort, did a 1.27 rating and 1.86 million viewers. Essentially, on its first night in existence, the UFC show, had it been in the same number of homes would have beaten the highest-rated UFC card to date on FX, an established top-tier cable channel.
8/18/13 7:26 PM
Team GDP

DanChow - Fox Sports 1 got off to an impressive debut Saturday night doing a 1.33 rating and 1.71 million viewers for the three-hour main card headlined by Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Chael Sonnen based on Nielsen's fast nationals.

The rating is the key, because FOX Spots 1 was not in as many homes as FX. The company's most successful card on Spike, the Jan. 19 show headlined by Michael Bisping vs. Virtor Belfort, did a 1.27 rating and 1.86 million viewers. Essentially, on its first night in existence, the UFC show, had it been in the same number of homes would have beaten the highest-rated UFC card to date on FX, an established top-tier cable channel.

should be fx not spike. don't know how that got past the editor

8/18/13 7:32 PM
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Considering it was on a BRAND NEW CHANNEL that either just got bumped into a new position or is still in the nether regions on a lot of carriers, that numbers pretty fucking good and Fox execs have to be ecstactic. I did not think they've break 1 million frankly.

It seems the deal Fox made with Time Warner, Comcast, and Dish was that they waived asking for more higher carriers fees but had them move it to a prime location instead. Seems this was the smarter long term move (in a couple years they can ask for way higher carriage fees, and I haven't done the math but maybe they can ask for more, and advertising is still the primary source of income for most non-premium cable networks).

Anyway this is a fucking great number and beating out the Big Four in key demographics just makes it extra sweet.

I really hope they'll consider doing more shows like this from time to time where they're fucking stacked top to bottom like this and all the (non-Facebook) prelims air on the same channel as the main card.

Imagine the sort of show they could be putting on Fox if they wanted, from 6-11 PM Eastern / 3-8 Pacific. This could also make it easier on hardcore fans in some of Western Europe who can finish the show before dawn now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.