UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> JLau explains what happened vs. Johnson

8/19/13 3:09 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

You never know what is going to happen in MMA, which is why you have the fight. That being said, most of the hardcore fanbase was baffled Saturday night by the one-sided shellacking that Joe Lauzon suffered at the hands of Michael Johnson.

Dana White, who is in addition to being president of the UFC is a huge fan of the sport, called it "one of the most lopsided, one-sided beatings you'll ever see in the UFC."

One judge saw fit to call the fight by a nearly unheard of 30-25, reflecting the 116 to 25 strikes imbalance recorded by FightMetric.

"What, did a limb fall off? He kick a limb off?" said White of the score. "Actually, it was close to a limb. That guy had two contusions. That could have been a 30-10."

"First of all, Lauzon looked terrible," continued White. "He looked like he wasn't even there. On the other side, he looked f---ing awesome. It was one of those things where he had the worst night he ever had, and he had the best night he's had in a long time."

In an interview with Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole, Lauzon concurs.

"Dana said it was one of the most lopsided beatings ever," said Lauzon. "I would have to agree. It was pretty bad. That was me at my worst, but I think you have to give credit to Michael and I was so bad because he was at his best. I watched the fight three or four times and he just did a really, really good job."

So what happened?

"Michael Johnson happened," Lauzon explained.

"The plan going into the fight was to try to take away his jab. If you try to take away his jab, you have to make him miss by a very narrow margin. Part of that is, you're going to get hit a little bit. We didn't do a very good job at that and that's where the whole plan started.

"Michael Johnson is very tough to take down. He's constantly moving around, he has great footwork and he moves great laterally, from side to side. He does a great job of not coming crazy forward, except when you're in a purely defensive state. I couldn't get going and he tagged me with some really good shots, and that was it."

"It was 100 percent not my night. But I stand by everything I said: I had great sparring partners and I had a great training camp. I was feeling strong. I was feeling fast. I was feeling super confident and I wasn't looking past him, because I knew how super tough he would be. Just looking at myself, I felt I was in great shape and ready to go and he right off the bat took me out of my game. I never really got started and usually, I like to come out and be really aggressive.

"For this fight, it was the opposite a little bit. We wanted him to come forward and we wanted him to throw a little bit so we could close the distance on him. Some people think I wanted to have a boxing match or a kickboxing match or that it was me trying to show off my new improved stand-up."

"That couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth. I was trying to get the fight to the ground. There were a couple of times I got in and got a body lock, and he did a great job of shaking away and getting away. I was trying to set things up, but he did a great job and I could never get things going."

"He had a slight speed advantage on me when we started out at the beginning. If I couldn't catch him when I was at my best, and fresh, it got even worse when he was inflicting damage on me. He fought really smart. He beat me up a lot in the first and basically took the second and rested and kind of coasted a little bit. Then, he beat me up really good in the third. Give Michael credit - he fought a really, really smart fight."

Read entire article...

8/19/13 3:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/19/13 4:26 PM

Props to Lauzon. He made no excuses and gave full credit to MJ. I hope that he gets that bonus record in his next fight.

8/19/13 3:18 PM
WeidmansPHD_in_G0atslaying_fr0m_h0fstra_U
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

speed kills.. knew he was dead after a minute of seeing the difference

8/19/13 3:19 PM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He moves from side to side, eh? Shogun could lean something from Johnson.
8/19/13 3:22 PM
Hikikomori

joe's honesty is refreshing
8/19/13 3:26 PM
tenchu
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher - 

Props to Lauzon. He made no excuses and gave full credit MJ. I hope that he gets that bonus record in his next fight.

Weidman haters could take a page from his book.
8/19/13 3:35 PM
TheGoldenRule
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta love JL Phone Post
8/19/13 3:46 PM
luctaro
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to write a bunch of stuff but in the end Ill just write this. Lauzon, welcome to good boxing and footwork. Johnson did great compared to himself in previous performances but what he did wasnt an extraordinary feat.

The things you seemed to gunning for were fine except you dont have the skill developed for such a gameplan. No footwork or head movement to take away his jab and raising your guard hardly counts as success even when he is coming forward as you said you wanted him to do while he is using you as a punching bag.

We didnt had the full minute in your corner but there wasnt any sense of urgency there whatsoever even in the 3rd round. Ugh. I will just stop typing.

I hope you realize it wasnt just Johnson doing things right. You&your corner did some things wrong as well.

Love you Joe. Tough love. Tough love.

8/19/13 3:47 PM
cheesesteak
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe, your still the man
8/19/13 3:47 PM
Michael Chase

No excuses... Respect! Phone Post
8/19/13 3:57 PM
Don Silvio
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even bigger fan now. ... giving respect where respect is due
8/19/13 3:58 PM
Feelz Good

Love this guy, you ask him what happened and he says "well, I got beat up". Not only can he admit he was beat, he'll come back and fight again, he's either crazy or just a bad mother fucker. Phone Post 3.0
8/19/13 4:09 PM
Pghreal412
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feelz Good - Love this guy, you ask him what happened and he says "well, I got beat up". Not only can he admit he was beat, he'll come back and fight again, he's either crazy or just a bad mother fucker. Phone Post 3.0
I think he's just one crazy, bad mother fucker Phone Post
8/19/13 4:13 PM
Card
1915 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Johnson improve his TDD that much after losing to Madadi and Jury? 

8/19/13 4:13 PM
rummy
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chase -  No excuses... Respect! Phone Post

this

8/19/13 4:14 PM
Arse Face
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So what Joe Lauzon is saying is that Michael Johnson used the side step throughout the fight and pulled the upset.

SIDE STEP = WIN
8/19/13 4:15 PM
kevsh
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His take on it is pretty much exactly what I said here after the fight. So many UGers were looking for answers but most were looking solely at Joe, not Michael.
8/19/13 4:17 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/19/13 4:21 PM

The side step comments are taking over the ug right now lol

8/19/13 4:18 PM
horsemeat grew my head

meco24 - He moves from side to side, eh? Shogun could lean something from Johnson.
Yep, side step the double leg FTW. Phone Post
8/19/13 4:50 PM
dennisv
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arse Face - So what Joe Lauzon is saying is that Michael Johnson used the side step throughout the fight and pulled the upset.

SIDE STEP = WIN

Correct. Side step beats all.

8/19/13 5:02 PM
JoeMimic
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got nothing but respect for Joe Lauzon. He'll be back winning another submission bonus in no time. Phone Post
8/19/13 5:04 PM
tjmitch
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luctaro, you seem very well versed in the manly arts.

No, not really. You seem like an asshat.
8/19/13 5:17 PM
GWizz

Gotta love and respect Joe. Thats how a man should act
8/19/13 5:19 PM
Osbot

Joe plays FPS's he should have respected the strafing more.

Strafing is legit overpowered.

8/19/13 5:22 PM
JStrongMMA

Respect to Jlau for admitting he just got beat and props to MJ for that performance when his back was against the wall. Everyone thought he was basically being brought in to lose. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.