UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Johnson: We definitely did our homework on Joe

8/20/13 3:35 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Michael Johnson gave the best performance of his career on Saturday, decidely beating Joe Lauzon for three rounds at the UFC on FOX Sports in Boston. Johnson was a two to one underdog coming into the bout, but as he told MMAJunkie, he was well-prepared for his bout with Lauzon:

"We definitely did our homework on Joe," Johnson, who spoiled Massachusetts native Lauzon's homecoming via unanimous decision, told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "We knew he's not really a counter-shooter, going in taking shots off people's punches, and we exposed that in the fight. We definitely didn't have to worry about his takedowns."

"I wanted to finish him, but I didn't want to finish him early," Johnson said. "I'm really glad the fight went the way it did. I would have rather finished him in the third, but if I would have knocked him out in the first round, you would have had the critics saying, 'He got lucky. He threw a lucky punch.'

"But it's pretty hard to deny a 15-minute performance. It doesn't leave any doubts in people's minds."

read entire article... 

8/20/13 3:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really a fan of Michael Johnsons but I thought he fought a great fight, stifling anything Joe tried. I dont think Joe was at his best though. Looked off right from the start. The fight to me looked like a mix of one fighter having an off night and the other having everything come together in the cage.
8/20/13 4:28 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - 
Kings21 - Not really a fan of Michael Johnsons but I thought he fought a great fight, stifling anything Joe tried. I dont think Joe was at his best though. Looked off right from the start. The fight to me looked like a mix of one fighter having an off night and the other having everything come together in the cage.

Did he have an off night vs Miller to?  Joe himseld said he felt great, no excuses, Johnson just turned out to be a bad match.  He was able to exploit Joe's weaknesses and stop Joe from being able to use his strengths.

No dont think he had an off night against Miller. Miller took it to Joe but Joe also engaged. He didnt really engage against Johnson aside from a couple weak TD attempts. The fight against Johnson reminded me of Nate Diaz vs Donald Cerrone. One guy having a great night in terms of his skills coming together perfectly against a guy who looked like a deer in headlights and was just a step behind the whole fight.

The majority of the fight consisted of Joe following Johnson and being a step behind. But like I said, its not like Johnson fought a poor fight. He fought great. It just looked like Joe had an off night. He's usually aggressive and he was anything but aggressive on that night.
8/20/13 4:53 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a Lauzon interview on here that pretty much seems to confirm what Johnson is saying, how hard a time he had and how much his own gameplan was negated by Johnson's strategy. I was waiting for Lauzon to pounce on one of those openings but Johnson fought the best way: active but disciplined, good work rate but never over extended himself.
8/20/13 6:46 PM
clattymine
524 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnson took joe out of the fight so fast it just looked like he was having an off night. .
8/20/13 6:46 PM
clattymine
524 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnson took joe out of the fight so fast it just looked like he was having an off night. .
8/20/13 6:57 PM
subwrassler
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

could've stopped at "not really a fan of Michael Johnsons.."
8/20/13 6:59 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnson looked phenom, best we've ever seen. His stand up has improved immensely, I can't wait to see who he gets next.
8/20/13 6:59 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnson looked phenom, best we've ever seen. His stand up has improved immensely, I can't wait to see who he gets next.
8/20/13 7:07 PM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure why but something about Johnson rubs me the wrong way Phone Post
8/20/13 7:48 PM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - Not really a fan of Michael Johnsons but I thought he fought a great fight, stifling anything Joe tried. I dont think Joe was at his best though. Looked off right from the start. The fight to me looked like a mix of one fighter having an off night and the other having everything come together in the cage.
This.

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 8:21 PM
Kings21

subwrassler - could've stopped at "not really a fan of Michael Johnsons.."

could've. My point in saying that was that I was impressed with how Johnson looked. I dont mean to take anything away from him with saying I thought Lauzon looked off. Johnson fought great. I just dont think Joe fought his best, despite him saying he felt great and was prepared and all that.

On the flip side, as I mentioned earlier, the fight reminded me of Diaz vs Cerrone. I'm a fan of both guys but still thought that Cerrone looked horribly off his game right from the start while Diaz looked the best he had ever looked.
8/20/13 8:22 PM
kingjames100
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kings21 - 

could've. My point in saying that was that I was impressed with how Johnson looked. I dont mean to take anything away from him with saying I thought Lauzon looked off. Johnson fought great. I just dont think Joe fought his best, despite him saying he felt great and was prepared and all that.

On the flip side, as I mentioned earlier, the fight reminded me of Diaz vs Cerrone. I'm a fan of both guys but still thought that Cerrone looked horribly off his game right from the start while Diaz looked the best he had ever looked.

You callin' Joe a liar?
8/20/13 8:35 PM
Kings21

kingjames100 - 
Kings21 - 

You callin' Joe a liar?

lol. No, not at all. I'm sure he felt great and was well prepared. I just differ in opinion and dont think he fought as well as he's capable.
8/20/13 8:48 PM
Osbot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingjames100 - 
Kings21 - 

You callin' Joe a liar?

Joe is a classy guy. Not one generally to make excuses. He may have felt he wasn't at the top of his game, but he isn't going to say it.

8/20/13 9:21 PM
donkey guard
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great win for mj. I thought creepy could handle him but it wasn't meant to be.

Micheal looked like he finally found his stride at black zillions Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.