Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Full Contact Fighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Full Contact Fighter, President

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney: The Best Fighters Are Not In The UFC

8/20/13 4:21 PM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can understand the argument with respect to Chandler at least.  I'll give him that.

8/20/13 4:27 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 08/20/13 4:27 PM

"Hector Lombard is the best MW in the world." Byork Rebney.

8/20/13 4:29 PM
BackOffWarchild
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A year from now this interview will be titled "How I turned a well-run and moderately popular small promotion into a bankrupt clusterfuck and ruined fighters' careers."
8/20/13 4:30 PM
RicGillespie

There's no doubt that Bellator has a couple real world beaters. Just look at how a couple of their champions run through the competition put in front of them. Their champions dominance also says a lot about the depth of the divisions they compete in too. The UFC on the other hand is filled with world beaters and the champions test themselves against the best every time out. Certainly can't say nearly the same about Bellator.
CemetaryKick
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this almost made me spit out my food i was laughing so hard...no disrespect meant to the few top notch fighters they do have...but come on
CemetaryKick
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this almost made me spit out my food i was laughing so hard...no disrespect meant to the few top notch fighters they do have...but come on
8/20/13 4:35 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator can't get Dana and the UFC out of their mouths. It's annoying. Phone Post
8/20/13 4:36 PM
whoabro

BackOffWarchild - A year from now this interview will be titled "How I turned a well-run and moderately popular small promotion into a bankrupt clusterfuck and ruined fighters' careers."
Boom. Sad but true. Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 4:39 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chandler is the only guy on the Bellator roster who could make a serious run for the UFC belt. Maybe Curran but that's it 

8/20/13 4:40 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

if only what Bjorn is saying had any logic at all.

Scott Coker was able to hype his promotion without sounding full of shit, why can't Rebney?

I always feel dirty after reading his very rare interviews. He'd be better off giving the public facing stuff to someone else. Someone with some charisma and integrity would be a good start.
8/20/13 4:41 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

Dana sure as hell believed it too. Gave him a 400K signing bonus, 300K starting salary, and a ppv cut. Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 4:41 PM
Chris27

He is a promoter, do you expect him to say yeah all the best are in teh UFC and our guys suck? 

Of course he is gonna hype his guys and with Chandler he might be right but you cant call him the best in the world when he is fighting Gono, Hawn and Rickels.  I'm sorry but you just cant.  Not when Bendo has fought edgar, Pettis,Cowboy, Varner, Guida,  Miller, Gilbert, Diaz, Pettis again and you have Grant,  Punk, Healy, Khabib next.

If Pettis beats Bendo he gets Grant and Punk and Healy and Gilbert etc.  Thats proving it by fighting the best.  Chandler cant do that in Bellator even if he might be the best guy.

8/20/13 4:45 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look at the proposed deal for Alvarez, a guy who isn't even champion.

Immediate Title Shot
70/70 starting salary, 5K raise per win.
250K signing bonus
3 commentator appearances
Guaranteed fight on Fox
PPV Cut

If they're not the best fighters, why pay them more than the majority of the guys in the ufc who are supposedly the best? Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 4:46 PM
Stephen Holder

Edited: 08/20/13 4:49 PM
Thing is it seems to me that when Bjork had the reigns and this shit was on MTV2 he would have never said something so full retardish. Ever since Viacom has bought him out and kept him as the mouthpeice for Bellator hes sayin and doin the dumbest shit ever. What a fuckin ass clown.
8/20/13 4:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mma interpreter -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - Bellator can't get Dana and the UFC out of their mouths. It's annoying. Phone Post
You know how I know you're gay? Phone Post
You said you wouldn't tell anyone Phone Post
8/20/13 4:47 PM
Chris27

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
MMALOGIC -

Dana sure as hell believed it too. Gave him a 400K signing bonus, 300K starting salary, and a ppv cut. Phone Post 3.0

I dont think Dana thought Lombard was the best MW in the world dude. 

They saw a chance to steal Bellators top fighter, put him on Fox vs Stann in front of a few million people, hype him as Bellators champ who won 25 in a row, get a big title fight out of him at a time there wasnt many contenders for Silva.  So you get a big fight and in the process Silva smashes him and Dana can say see what our guy did to Bellators best.

Paying him a few hundred thousand bucks  isnt much compared to a millions in profits from a big title fight.

Of course it didnt work out that way, Stann got hurt, he was on 149 and completely flopped in that fight and he has been a bust and a bad signing so far. 

8/20/13 4:54 PM
LILBROCK

MMALOGIC - 

Can't believe it took you all of 14 minutes to get to this thread. Question... Do you check the UG every 10-15 minutes to make sure you don't miss anything Bellator related or do you have people that will alert you that you better hurry up and check in?
8/20/13 4:55 PM
Kingofny23
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Full Contact Fighter -

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney: The Best Fighters Are Not In The UFC

Yes, yes they are. At least 99% of them. Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 4:57 PM
Malvert the Janitor
812 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BackOffWarchild - A year from now this interview will be titled "How I turned a well-run and moderately popular small promotion into a bankrupt clusterfuck and ruined fighters' careers."
Agree or disagree, I vote you up. You cut like a knife my man. Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 4:57 PM
trent205
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RicGillespie - There's no doubt that Bellator has a couple real world beaters. Just look at how a couple of their champions run through the competition put in front of them. Their champions dominance also says a lot about the depth of the divisions they compete in too. The UFC on the other hand is filled with world beaters and the champions test themselves against the best every time out. Certainly can't say nearly the same about Bellator.
Couldn't have sari it better my friend! :) The best thing about the UFC is, there are so many great fighters its almost impossible for "the best" whoever that is at the time to get an "easy" fight! Every fight in the UFC is a tough fight. To be frank, that's why there's never going to be a legitimate competitor to the UFC.

With that being said, there is a place for promotions like Belletor. It gives these fighters a place to come into there own and build themselves up. To build them up to the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 5:03 PM
John M
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Curran, Chandler, Alvarez, Askren and maybe Pitbull are the only fighters in Bellator that could be competitive withthe top 10 in the UFC.

None of them would be champ though.

Everybody else would get smashed.
8/20/13 5:05 PM
Brigham
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a douche Phone Post
8/20/13 5:15 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One good thing about Bellator is the talented fighters are getting paid their worth...Askren will get paid, and curran will get paid too when his contract is up...Viacom has a ton of spending ahead of them Phone Post 3.0
8/20/13 5:40 PM
MMALOGIC

GayGuardMooseSaucy - Look at the proposed deal for Alvarez, a guy who isn't even champion.

Immediate Title Shot
70/70 starting salary, 5K raise per win.
250K signing bonus
3 commentator appearances
Guaranteed fight on Fox
PPV Cut

If they're not the best fighters, why pay them more than the majority of the guys in the ufc who are supposedly the best? Phone Post 3.0

Because Zuffa wants to place pressure on viacom mma.  The same with Hector Lombard.  That was a message to viacom that it isnt going to be cheap trying to compete with the UFC.

How do you think Zuffa forced Strikeforce out of the business?  Look at how much SF had to pay guys like Tim Kennedy.

When SF tried to do the same thing with Hendo ZUffa let them have him and his purse.  8 months later they are begging for a buyer.

Everything Bellator is doing we've seen already.  "We care about the fighters"  ...  "it's about the fighters not the brand"  they all said the same shit. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.