UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Barnett: We fought for blood and for honor

8/20/13 10:45 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Josh Barnett is old school. He has been fighting professionaly since 1997 and is the old fighter on the current UFC roster who also fought in the pre-Zuffa organization. Barnett recently spoke to MMAFighting and reflected on the good ole days and what the difference was between fighters of his generation and the new generation:

"Today there is the opportunity to branch out and to be a part of things that are outside of fighting. It has a broader acceptance from mainstream public. There's a lot more notoriety with this and a much bigger public spotlight that comes with it. As far as making a living, it's a far better opportunity now than it was when I started."

As the old guard slowly dwindles in number, Barnett remains one of the few active veterans to still remember the NHB days. He marvels at the massive leaps forward the sport has made since that era, although he believes it comes with a cost.

"I think that a lot of guys fight not for the reasons that we used to fight for," Barnett said. "There's a lot of guys that get in here and they just want to get in, make a run, think that they're going to be famous, make a lot of money, what have you. They fight for glory, where we fought for blood and for honor.

"There's still great, true fighters coming out of this, but these guys aren't quite as tough as they used to be. There's way better athletes, they're much better prepared, but some of these guys, they don't have that grit."

read entire article... 

8/20/13 10:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dgthedarkness
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old school!!
8/20/13 10:46 PM
dgthedarkness
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old school!!
8/20/13 10:58 PM
Shoulda done a background check on Chael
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barnett has been one of my favorites for a long time. Took me a good while to get over the Affliction episode.

I love his attitude and bushido spirit when fighting though. Dude is as tough as they come.  There aren't many heavyweights I'd root for if they were fighting against Josh. I know he's older and perhaps not as good, but I can still hope that his toughness and skills can help him find ways to win against the top guys. I think Barnett can get past Mir.

Too bad his fight with DC had limited time. He was losing, but he looked far from broken. I want to see who wins in a fight to the finish, and I'm sure Josh would agree with that.

8/20/13 11:19 PM
kingkoopa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The man is speaking truth here. There are lesser and lesser fighters in mma who fight to truly push themselves to the limit in order to test themselves.

Its all about the w/l ratio and money nowadays. That's the cost of going main stream Phone Post
8/20/13 11:19 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

Im looking forward to his fight with Mir.
I would enjoy seeing Mir TapOut.
8/20/13 11:24 PM
Happiness Bunny
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Warmaster!

Catch as catch can is amazing.
8/20/13 11:27 PM
Haulport

VALE TUDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/21/13 1:18 AM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Truth. Phone Post 3.0
8/21/13 1:39 AM
The Fella
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the odds for The BabyFaced Assassin pissin hot?

8/21/13 1:48 AM
ChaosOverkill
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Schlomo Hamelech - Hitler would be proud.

ok...

8/21/13 1:52 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vale Tudo Never Die.

Ball Grabbin' and head butting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuD7dGLjuNg (Gary vs Pedro)

Pride Never Die.

Soccer kicking and head stomping.

Fedor.
8/21/13 2:28 AM
RocketsRedglare

my all time favorite
8/21/13 2:36 AM
Oontyex

One of my favorite fighters. Hope he stays clean and works his way to a title shit subbing guys on the way Phone Post 3.0
8/21/13 2:50 AM
Happiness Bunny
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.womentalksports.com/images/image65250.jpg

Two of my favorite fighters.

Fujii is the woman G.O.A.T.
8/21/13 3:03 AM
CindyO

I wish Barnett would put out a book!

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
8/21/13 11:18 AM
Ninja Tea Party

I like Barnett a lot, but and I agree with his general comments, however this whole "real" fighter stuff is so subjective. Here's how it seems to go:

Traditional Martial Artist - I know how to fight.
Grappler - That's not fighting, we fight to submission.
Striker - That's not fighting lol it's not fighting if you don't even punch someone.
Professional Soldier - What are you all on about? That's not fighting, and you're not in a "war". Stop daydreaming you're athletes not fighters.
Boy Soldier in Africa - lol you bitches don't even know 'bout fighting. Ain't no Geneva convention and supply chain here.

And on and on.
8/21/13 11:45 AM
CruJones
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - I wish Barnett would put out a book!

Cindy Phone Post 3.0
I trained at AMC in the late 90's to like 2003 or so and have to say watching him get so good so fast was nothing short of amazing. His submission game and agility for such a big guy just seemed unnatural. Some of the stories just outta that time with Hume would sell the book alone. Be cool to know more; why he and Hume split, behind the scenes in Japan, rolling with a who's who list, Pancrase, pro wrestling with Inoki, training with Paulson... list goes on for us who've followed his career throughout the years. Phone Post 3.0
8/21/13 12:09 PM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barnett speaks the truth. any fan that has followed since day 1 knows exactly what he's talkin about!
8/21/13 12:10 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 
Schlomo Hamelech - Hitler would be proud.

ok...

He's making a joke about Josh's use of "blood and honor" when the Hitler Youth(Adolph's boy scouts) slogan was "Blut und Ehre!", German for blood and honor.

8/21/13 12:32 PM
Soup and Beer
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Barnett, but a more accurate statement would be:  "We fought for blood and honor, and just enough money to buy our next injections of Deca".

8/21/13 12:43 PM
chaplinshouse
733 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh is correct.  If MMA maintains popularity his kind will die when his class retires.  

Don't wanna fight you Ringo, there's no money in it..

Don't any of you have the guts to fight for BLOOD?

I'm your huckleberry.  Say when...

8/21/13 12:51 PM
Pro Ice
1938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

8/21/13 2:43 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We all lost something when NHB morphed into MMA which morphed into TUF dyed mohawk dry humping/slap point winning.
8/21/13 2:46 PM
Soup and Beer
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SKARHEAD - We all lost something when NHB morphed into MMA which morphed into TUF dyed mohawk dry humping/slap point winning.

I agree 100%.  But it's also fair to note that even today's bottom of the ladder MMA fighters would still likely beat the best NHB fighters of the same weight in the early 90's.  And beat them with their own NHB rules.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.