UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mir and Rothwell Receive TRT Exemptions UFC 164

8/22/13 2:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/08/frank-mir-and-ben-rothwell-receive-trt-exemptions-for-ufc-164

A new fighter has been added to the list of MMA competitors with permission to use testosterone-replacement therapy (TRT).

UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell applied for and received a therapeutic use exemption to use TRT in advance of UFC 164, a representative with the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Heavyweight Frank Mir also received an exemption for the event, which takes places Aug. 31 at Bradley Center in Milwaukee. The ex-UFC champ previously got permission to use TRT for a fight against then-champ Junior dos Santos at UFC 146. It's unknown whether he received any additional exemptions in earlier fights.

Rothwell and Mir were unavailable for comment at the time of this writing. Brandon Vera (12-6 MMA, 8-6 UFC), who fights Rothwell (32-9 MMA, 2-3 UFC) on the event's pay-per-view main card, simply said, "It won't help."

Former UFC champ Josh Barnett (32-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC), who fights Mir (16-7 MMA, 14-7 UFC), couldn't be reached for comment. But his manager, Leland LaBarre, said, "Josh has not requested or will he request any type of exemption whatsoever."

Earlier this month, MMAjunkie.com filed a public records request with the WDSPS, whose chief legal counsel, Michael J. Berndt, supplied a response.

Rothwell most recently appeared in the octagon at UFC on FX 7, where Gabriel Gonzaga submitted him in the second round. In five appearances with the promotion, he has hopscotched between wins and losses.

Mir most recently fought at UFC on FOX 7, where he lost a unanimous decision to Daniel Cormier in a lackluster affair. It was his second straight defeat, which included a TKO loss to dos Santos at UFC 146.

Other currently known users of TRT include Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen and Dan Henderson.

Initially neutral on TRT use, UFC President Dana White took a hard line against hormone therapy earlier this year, promising to "test the s--t" out of anyone using it and expressing his wish that athletic commissions would ban the treatment.

In June, the California State Athletic Commission put on hold all applications for TRT exemptions. It plans to rewrite its policies to make the approval process stricter.
8/22/13 2:12 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vera's getting knocked out

8/22/13 2:13 PM
epwar
565 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is just getting ridiculous.  

8/22/13 2:21 PM
Lulz McGee
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Rothwell ever say what happened in his camp that lead up to the Gonzaga fight?

I remember after the weigh ins he said he was probably going to lose because he came in with a bad injury and he was having some personal problems. I thought he was just making excuses before the fight even happened. Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 2:26 PM
Card
2171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/22/13 2:33 PM
Eggbert
865 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Mir have exemption for his fight with Cormier? Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 2:34 PM
Il Duce
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeavyweighTRT. Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 2:39 PM
kid chaos
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Il Duce - HeavyweighTRT. Phone Post 3.0
That's a good point. Are there any lighter weight fighters on trt? Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 2:43 PM
McBottery
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eggbert - Did Mir have exemption for his fight with Cormier? Phone Post 3.0
I believe so. Phone Post
8/22/13 2:43 PM
mghan44
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - 
epwar -

Waaaaah! "I dont like living in reality" Phone Post

Man you've become quite a douchebag with this "Wahhhh" shit.

So what is the reality you speak of? I'm cool with TRT but lets at least call it for what it is. Everyone has different natural testosterone levels. As you age your testosterone decreases, which is natural, so why do they get an exemption? Should all fighters test before fights and allow the one with lower testosterone levels to take test in order to even out the playing field?

It really is getting to be ridiculous. Allow supplemental test or don't.
8/22/13 2:47 PM
Nate Dogg13

kid chaos - 
That's a good point. Are there any lighter weight fighters on trt? Phone Post 3.0

Good point
8/22/13 2:49 PM
idsmashit

epwar - 

8/22/13 2:56 PM
CGJiuJitsu
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Upcoming addition to the UFC Heavyweight division........

UBERothwell.....................

8/22/13 2:58 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate Dogg13 - 
kid chaos - 

Good point

Shane Roller at Lightweight is the smallest fighter I can think of that was approved for TRT.

8/22/13 3:00 PM
blitzk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Vera may thai clinches the TRT out of him
8/22/13 3:01 PM
Prepare2Die

The poor guys. I hope they get well soon. Medical conditions are no laughing matter people. Get better! Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 3:02 PM
Brabatross

I hate seeing this since I bet on Barnett. Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 3:03 PM
Harmon Whistler
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kid chaos - 

Off the top of my head;

Vitor, Hendo, Marquardt, Sonnen, Rampage, Roller, Forrest

8/22/13 3:06 PM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The new age of technology and medicine is going to change the face of all sports soon. I really used to be against TRT and steroids, but as scientists and doctors are getting more information I've taken a different stance. I'd rather have these guys taking TRT and HGH and other more "natural" hormones/compounds than have them go to their chemist buddy for some tweaked out analog designed to foil testing procedures.

I like the fact there's more transparency involved in a fighters training/supplementing regimen now that they're legally getting exemptions.

Just wait till "Gene Doping" comes along. You're all going to shit your pants.
8/22/13 3:07 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

I say they should just let people do whatever they want in terms of PEDs.
8/22/13 3:10 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Duffee still getting exemptions? I've always refrained from ripping him because I figured getting one when you're in your twenties likely means you have a legit issue (no natural production from a tumor, etc.). I don't get the whole super muscles though. Can you be that heavily muscled and still suffer from low or no testosterone? Phone Post
8/22/13 3:19 PM
lilhef517

ChokeEmOut -
epwar -

Waaaaah! "I dont like living in reality" Phone Post
Lol Phone Post
8/22/13 3:19 PM
WMnax

Hey guys little help here-Via Iphone, how do you reply to someone's post and/or quote someone's post in order to reply? Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 3:21 PM
Nick Diaz Fan

Its getting quite OBVIOUS a large percentage of ufc fighters have abused there bodies with peds, its completely unfair to all the athletes who train extremely hard without the aid of peds to recover during training camps.

Men in there 30's should not be using TRT!!! its fucking crazy, the ufc is going to become a joke at this rate Phone Post 3.0
8/22/13 3:23 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WMnax - Hey guys little help here-Via Iphone, how do you reply to someone's post and/or quote someone's post in order to reply? Phone Post 3.0
Just hit the name of the poster. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.