UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mayhem arrested again?

8/23/13 9:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Porkchop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/23/13 9:21 PM
double
8/23/13 9:22 PM
Chris27

Its not funny anymore.  Whether you think the guy is a tool or does this act as a gimmick its not funny anymore.  there is something wrong with him.

I hope he gets help.

8/23/13 9:28 PM
In_Deference

AlchemyIronworks - Only in MMA can a person be a repeated violent criminal with no documented past if mental illness but the whole thing gets swept under the rug as "mayhem needs help, he is in a desperate psychological state, nothing he does is his fault" Phone Post 3.0

No one is saying this stuff isnt his fault. its obvious he has mental health issues though. here is a report of when he was found inside a church in orange county to refresh your memory

"The first floor was ransacked — broken pictures and books were strewn across the floor — and the walls had been spray-painted. A fire extinguisher had been set off, leaving a trail of residue that led deputies to the second floor.

That's where they found Miller, Amormino said, who was naked and "dozing" on a couch.

"When they asked him his name, he kept saying, 'Mayhem, Mayhem,'" Amormino said. "They didn't know who he was — they thought he was being uncooperative."

8/23/13 9:30 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lgi - 
Lux Fixxins - 
TuLegit - If a guy says he is mentally ill and you still question him you're a fucking asshole. Straight up. Phone Post 3.0
What if the guy claiming mental illness is a fucking asshole?

Straight up. Phone Post 3.0

It's one thing to say he has a mental illness, and another to do something about it. Has he seeked help whatsoever? Guys like Sonnen went to see sports psychiatrist, has Mayhem seen a regular one?

Agreed.

I personally believe Mayhem is a few cards short of a full deck, but I'm no shrink, and even if I were, I have never examined him, so my opinion means squat. He might be crazy, he might not. None of us swinging dicks know for certain one way or the other.

Besides, even if Mayhem is legitimately nuts, that doesn't excuse his behavior. It's his responsibility seek help. If he chooses not to do that and endangers other people, then fuck him, regardless of whether he is mentally ill or not. Mental illness is not a 'get out of jail free' card.
8/23/13 9:36 PM
Belial

Why does everyone give mayhem the benefit of the doubt and assume he has a mental illness? He may just be an immature, irresponsible, asshole with shitty impulse control.
8/23/13 9:36 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For all of you people crying about Mayhem needing help and his alleged mental illness, where were you when Hermes Franca got busted for banging underage students? Pedophilia is also a mental illness, but I don't recall anyone playing the sympathy card for Hermes. The UG universally said 'fuck that guy' and that was the end of it.
8/23/13 9:38 PM
Letibleu
1714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - For all of you people crying about Mayhem needing help and his alleged mental illness, where were you when Hermes Franca got busted for banging underage students? Pedophilia is also a mental illness, but I don't recall anyone playing the sympathy card for Hermes. The UG universally said 'fuck that guy' and that was the end of it.

I wouldn't have gone there...

8/23/13 9:46 PM
tikmovado

Pancake Syrup Ali - 

Done caring at this point

So you cared before?

You are a dork if you care about another man you do not know going to jail.

I bet you save pubes from the showers.
8/23/13 9:51 PM
Dana Stern

You don't need to be a doctor to know Mayhem suffer from some sort of mental illness. My god I if I had to bet everything I own that he suffers from something I would. It doesn't excuse his behavior but if diagnosed and treated it's may give some insight into some of his actions. He seems like a smart and caring person on one hand and a total irrational belligerent dick on another which may be do to bipolar disorder or psychoses or something similar I don't know. The problem is he doesn't seem to have people in his life that love him unconditionally who will step in and do whatever it takes to make sure he gets the help he needs. He'a also an adult which makes it hard to force him to get that help. However if he keeps breaking the law he may have no choice but to be locked away to suffer or neat case scenario put in mandatory inpatient treatment where he can get whatever it is he needs. Phone Post
8/23/13 9:54 PM
Steve4192

"You don't need to be a doctor to know Mayhem suffer from some sort of mental illness"

Ummmm, yeah, you kinda do.

You can't diagnose another human being over the fucking internet based on a few youtube clips and interviews. You just can't. To think you can is either hubris or ignorance or some combination of the two.
8/23/13 9:55 PM
Steve4192

Frank Gallagher - 
Dana Stern - You don't need to be a doctor to know Mayhem suffer from some sort of mental illness. My god I if I had to bet everything I own that he suffers from something I would. It doesn't excuse his behavior but if diagnosed and treated it's may give some insight into some of his actions. He seems like a smart and caring person on one hand and a total irrational belligerent dick on another which may be do to bipolar disorder or psychoses or something similar I don't know. The problem is he doesn't seem to have people in his life that love him unconditionally who will step in and do whatever it takes to make sure he gets the help he needs. He'a also an adult which makes it hard to force him to get that help. However if he keeps breaking the law he may have no choice but to be locked away to suffer or neat case scenario put in mandatory inpatient treatment where he can get whatever it is he needs. Phone Post
I have dated a couple girls you have described to a T Phone Post

Maybe Mayhem has PMS
8/23/13 10:00 PM
Term Oil
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DFW's unmarked white van strikes again Phone Post
8/23/13 10:05 PM
mghan44
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - 
lgi - 
Lux Fixxins - 
TuLegit - If a guy says he is mentally ill and you still question him you're a fucking asshole. Straight up. Phone Post 3.0

It's one thing to say he has a mental illness, and another to do something about it. Has he seeked help whatsoever? Guys like Sonnen went to see sports psychiatrist, has Mayhem seen a regular one?

Agreed.

I personally believe Mayhem is a few cards short of a full deck, but I'm no shrink, and even if I were, I have never examined him, so my opinion means squat. He might be crazy, he might not. None of us swinging dicks know for certain one way or the other.

Besides, even if Mayhem is legitimately nuts, that doesn't excuse his behavior. It's his responsibility seek help. If he chooses not to do that and endangers other people, then fuck him, regardless of whether he is mentally ill or not. Mental illness is not a 'get out of jail free' card.

Ehhhh youre understanding of mental illness might be a little weak.

Saying it doesn't excuse his behavior is like saying "Having a broken femur isn't an excuse for sitting on your ass all day, you lazy piece of shit".

Mental illness is exactly that, an ILLNESS of the mind. It means your brain does not function properly. People are so out of the loop in understanding that your behaviors are all a consequence of the complex chemical workings inside your brain. If these chemicals are off, then your brain doesn't work properly and you are really UNABLE to make rational decisions like people who are mentally healthy.

I am not commenting on whether or not Jason has a mental illness, I have no idea (although he did say he has received treatment for it so I would lean towards yes) but people need to understand that there is no rational decision making going on for a lot of people who suffer from mental illness.

You don't blame someone who has lung cancer for not breathing properly.
8/23/13 10:14 PM
Steve4192

"people need to understand that there is no rational decision making going on for a lot of people who suffer from mental illness. "

Hogwash.

Mental illness is not all or nothing, it is a continuum. The vast majority of people suffering from a mental illness are perfectly capable of making rational decisions most of the time. Very few are completely incapable of rational thought, even during their worst episodes. Chemical imbalances might make them more susceptible to actions they wouldn't take otherwise, but 'more susceptible' is a LONG way from 'incapable'.
8/23/13 10:19 PM
JerseyShoreTapTeam

Wow
8/23/13 10:20 PM
Steve4192

"You don't blame someone who has lung cancer for not breathing properly. "

No, but I do blame pedophiles for diddling little kids, even though pedophilia qualifies as a mental illness. Why? Because they KNOW their urges are wrong and do nothing to prevent themselves from acting on those urges.

Only the most grievously mentally ill are incapable of controlling themselves or understanding their actions, and most of those cases are either institutionalized or living on the streets. Mayhem is clearly not one of those cases.
8/23/13 10:21 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
937 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - For all of you people crying about Mayhem needing help and his alleged mental illness, where were you when Hermes Franca got busted for banging underage students? Pedophilia is also a mental illness, but I don't recall anyone playing the sympathy card for Hermes. The UG universally said 'fuck that guy' and that was the end of it.
Oh jesus.

I suppose robbing liquor stores is a mental illness too?

Some people are just bad, and should be discarded. Pedophiles fall into that category. And I hope hermes franca dies in prison the rapist fuck.

As for mayhem, he bad too, but I think he could be helped if he embraced it. Im not saying he should get any kind of pass for whatever the fuck he did this time. Im saying he needs to saddle up and sort his shit or he too can rot in jail Phone Post
8/23/13 10:24 PM
mghan44
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher - 
mghan44 -
Steve4192 - 
lgi - 
Lux Fixxins - 

Agreed.

Saying it doesn't excuse his behavior is like saying "Having a broken femur isn't an excuse for sitting on your ass all day, you lazy piece of shit".

Mental illness is exactly that, an ILLNESS of the mind. It means your brain does not function properly. People are so out of the loop in understanding that your behaviors are all a consequence of the complex chemical workings inside your brain. If these chemicals are off, then your brain doesn't work properly and you are really UNABLE to make rational decisions like people who are mentally healthy.

I am not commenting on whether or not Jason has a mental illness, I have no idea (although he did say he has received treatment for it so I would lean towards yes) but people need to understand that there is no rational decision making going on for a lot of people who suffer from mental illness.

Alcoholics and drug addicts are in the same boat in your opinion? Phone Post

Some are, some aren't. Depression is the same way. Some people feel depressed because there life isn't where they want it to be, there boyfriend broke up with them etc. Some people are depressed when their life is great, they could win the lottery, marry the person of their dreams, get a huge promotion etc. The depression is caused by chemical imbalances, there is literally nothing they can do to feel better (other than maybe take meds to right these imbalances).

Diagnosing things based on symptoms makes it tough, and lumps two things in the same category that may not be the same at all.

Some people love beer or drugs and drink and use until they become addicted, because they are dealing with a physically addicting substance. A lot of addicts have been shown to have abnormalities in the region of the brain that controls impulse, they simply can't control their desires the way others can.

Addiction is slightly different, in my opinion, because it often involves an otherwise rational person making a decision to commit an act. With many mental illnesses the person is seriously unable to make those rational decisions.

Im not a neuroscientist, so you could easily find people with better explanations than my own but I do think that the idea that everyone is solely responsible for their actions is kind of outdated. The brain can get sick just like any other part of the body, and this means it will fail or falter just like any other part of the body that can get ill. The only difference is with the brain your actions and behavior are the symptom.
8/23/13 10:25 PM
Steve4192

DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee - 
Steve4192 - For all of you people crying about Mayhem needing help and his alleged mental illness, where were you when Hermes Franca got busted for banging underage students? Pedophilia is also a mental illness, but I don't recall anyone playing the sympathy card for Hermes. The UG universally said 'fuck that guy' and that was the end of it.
Oh jesus.

I suppose robbing liquor stores is a mental illness too?

Some people are just bad, and should be discarded. Pedophiles fall into that category. And I hope hermes franca dies in prison the rapist fuck.

As for mayhem, he bad too, but I think he could be helped if he embraced it. Im not saying he should get any kind of pass for whatever the fuck he did this time. Im saying he needs to saddle up and sort his shit or he too can rot in jail Phone Post

I agree.

I was using an extreme example to illustrate my point.
8/23/13 10:27 PM
mghan44

Steve4192 - "You don't blame someone who has lung cancer for not breathing properly. "

No, but I do blame pedophiles for diddling little kids, even though pedophilia qualifies as a mental illness. Why? Because they KNOW their urges are wrong and do nothing to prevent themselves from acting on those urges.

Only the most grievously mentally ill are incapable of controlling themselves or understanding their actions, and most of those cases are either institutionalized or living on the streets. Mayhem is clearly not one of those cases.

Eh, I refrain from saying it in public and could get voted down but I'm on the fence about pedophilia and other "sexual perversions". Don't need to discuss that in here tho.
8/23/13 10:32 PM
Dana Stern

mghan44 -
Frank Gallagher - 
mghan44 -
Steve4192 - 
lgi - 
Lux Fixxins - 

Agreed.

Some are, some aren't. Depression is the same way. Some people feel depressed because there life isn't where they want it to be, there boyfriend broke up with them etc. Some people are depressed when their life is great, they could win the lottery, marry the person of their dreams, get a huge promotion etc. The depression is caused by chemical imbalances, there is literally nothing they can do to feel better (other than maybe take meds to right these imbalances).

Diagnosing things based on symptoms makes it tough, and lumps two things in the same category that may not be the same at all.

Some people love beer or drugs and drink and use until they become addicted, because they are dealing with a physically addicting substance. A lot of addicts have been shown to have abnormalities in the region of the brain that controls impulse, they simply can't control their desires the way others can.

Addiction is slightly different, in my opinion, because it often involves an otherwise rational person making a decision to commit an act. With many mental illnesses the person is seriously unable to make those rational decisions.

Im not a neuroscientist, so you could easily find people with better explanations than my own but I do think that the idea that everyone is solely responsible for their actions is kind of outdated. The brain can get sick just like any other part of the body, and this means it will fail or falter just like any other part of the body that can get ill. The only difference is with the brain your actions and behavior are the symptom.
Very good points here, and a lot of what you said is very true and very real and people that disagree don't aren't capable of understanding do to their ignorance or just lack real of experience with mental illness or addiction. Phone Post
8/23/13 10:33 PM
mghan44

Frank Gallagher - 
mghan44 -
Frank Gallagher - 
mghan44 -
Steve4192 - 
lgi - 
Lux Fixxins - 

Agreed.

So basically, everyone has an excuse. I take it you're a therapist of some sort? Phone Post

Im not saying everyone has an excuse, but there ARE many instances of legitimate excuses for odd or socially unacceptable behavior. You can't just straight up blame everyone for all of their actions without understanding what is really going on.

Any of us without a mental illness could sit here and say "What a douche, I would never act that way" but in reality we don't know, because we have never been in that position and we are not that person.
8/23/13 10:33 PM
lgi

Ok, say he has a mental illness and chooses to do nothing about it, what would it take for you guys to say he needs to be locked up for his own good? Especially before he hurts others?
8/23/13 10:34 PM
Poonug
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This tread needs less white knight philosophizing and more facts.

Fact. Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 10:37 PM
fightmedicine
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think an argument could be made for being bipolar. What is really bad about bipolar is that controlling it with meds may have a lot of side effects and people can't really control themselves once they start becoming manic.

And in case you ask, yes I am a doctor.

I also had someone write an interesting article for my site (fightmedicine.net) about being bipolar and training MMA to actually help her:
http://fightmedicine.net/outsidethecage/battling-mental-illness-with-mixed-martial-arts

Whether someone is a jackass when they are not manic is another issue, but exceptions should be made to understand them when they are manic or hypo-manic (not quite manic) Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.