UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Quitting BJJ was the best thing I've ever done

8/23/13 10:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trane
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did BJJ for a few years and was really into it, traneing 4-5 times a week, going to all kinds of seminars etc. I had to quit the sport due to work and financial commitments. At first I felt bad about it that I couldn't be one of those black belt journey guys but now that a few years have passed, it was a great decision. There are so many pros to this that I can finally declare my total detachment to this art without regret. Who else is with me on this?

First of all, I can now trane consistently without getting injured, I remember when I did BJJ, I would get hurt periodically whether it'd be a shoulder, back or ankle. I'd sit out for a few weeks or even a few months then repeat the cycle.

Secondly, this has saved my pocketbook a ton, not having to pay stupendous amounts for membership, multiple gi's, seminars, tournament fees, t-shirts etc. This is saving me thousands a year.

As well, I got to a point where I was getting diminishing returns for my investment in terms of practicality. I got proficient enough to use "Gracie JJ" techniques if needed against your average Joe such as knowing how to takedown, have decent transitions, good instincts to go for mount or take the back, useful submissions, active guard, sweeps from guard etc. That's all you really need to know imo. I never got to where I had to learn inverted guard, rubber guard, 50/50, deep-half etc. to stay competitive in competition, that's just competition fluff imo.

Lastly, I've been able to remove myself of the cult-like atmosphere present in practically every BJJ club in existence. People constantly bragging on FB about their affiliations and screaming OSSss any chance they get. Lol.
8/23/13 10:47 PM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand how you feel. Phone Post
8/23/13 10:57 PM
Rorschach_

nobones -  Deep half guard isn't competition fluff. Phone Post

This.

Are you retarded op?
8/23/13 10:59 PM
Dead President
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lastly, I've been able to remove myself of the cult-like atmosphere present in practically every BJJ club in existence. People constantly bragging on FB about their affiliations and screaming OSSss any chance they get. Lol.

Amen to that Phone Post 3.0
Kirik
1678 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

I miss The Don

AlabamaSmooth
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I never got to where I had to learn inverted guard, rubber guard, 50/50, deep-half etc. to stay competitive in competition, that's just competition fluff imo"

Did you make it past blue? Doubt it. I doubt you did well in competition either.
8/23/13 11:00 PM
Dead President
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, why learn BJJ when you can simply side step? Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:01 PM
sssfRyan
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not for everyone Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:03 PM
PTM2020
1001 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I miss The Don

This will fly over the heads of 99.9% of the UG

8/23/13 11:04 PM
pennviachoke
1103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently started bjj...I hope my experience is better than yours. Phone Post
8/23/13 11:05 PM
Mihow
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you sound like a weird-o
future_jabroni
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear you. If you're not interested in the sport aspect, then spending all that money on tournaments really doesn't make sense, IMO. You got to the point where you feel pretty confident that you've developed some solid self-defense skills. I'd like to get to there too. I'm been training bjj for a little over a year. I like to do it for another 3 or 4 years and then move onto becoming an adequate striker.
caelrad

I get it. I did the same thing. Realized I could still be a fan without participating constantly. Took up way too much time. Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:08 PM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stopped training it consistently a few yrs back and I miss it. Yes, I saved money but I also feel like I would rather have been training.
8/23/13 11:12 PM
INDK
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dude step Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:14 PM
Oyama
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Decent point- overall combative value is questionable, but BJJ is still fun to train...
8/23/13 11:18 PM
HoneyBadger305
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You all sound like a bunch of lil babies and quitters to me. Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:20 PM
Dougie
904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overheaing te conversation of some of the new guys at the gym today, and it makes me sad.

*sigh*

Oh well.
8/23/13 11:21 PM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PTM2020 - 
Kirik - 

I miss The Don

UG has been in the grip of accelerating inequality for years.  Mods have been supporting policies that benefit the few at the expense of everyone else.  No matter what you call it - trickle down politics, free market fundamentalism, crony agenda's- it is all rooted in the idea that if you take care of the people at the very top, everyone benefits.  That is a lie and we reject it.

This site has one simple purpose: to provide us and our fellow members with facts, graphics, and more reading about penises, poop, and gay jokes.  Steal these facts, graphics, and ideas.  Hack them, tweet them, put them up on telephone poles, on walls, on cars, on buses, etc.  This is our forum and we will reclaim it.

We are the 99.9%

8/23/13 11:22 PM
Leaping Lanny
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why bjj black belts are bad ass dudes... Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:25 PM
TEAR GAS KUSH

PTM2020 - 
Kirik - 

I miss The Don

If you tell the 99.9 % what the don deal is the 99.9% will tell you what a vagina feels like. If it wasnt for us there would be 5 people with 50000 posts here all alone

99.9% FTW
8/23/13 11:26 PM
mdrndaysamurai
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea I hear you, I'm now able to spend my hard earned money on things like alcohol and cigarettes. And, those cult people that try to live a clean lifestyle, annoying. Now I can spend my time elsewhere. And let's face it, I'm a blue belt now so I can beat up pretty much anyone on the street... Phone Post
8/23/13 11:28 PM
caelrad

HoneyBadger305 - You all sound like a bunch of lil babies and quitters to me. Phone Post 3.0
You sound like a low life. Do you spend your free time away from your crappy job training jiu jitsu? Hahahahah Phone Post 3.0
8/23/13 11:30 PM
Trane

Leaping Lanny - This is why bjj black belts are bad ass dudes... Phone Post 3.0

This used to be the case but not anymore. I have heard so many accounts of current black belts that have been tapped by purples and some high-level blues. I'll bet you that podium mundial purples would tap out the majority of black belts today.

When I hear of guys getting their black belts now, it means little to me. It's mostly due to them having a school and paying royalties to their professor or due to the amount of time and money invested into the sport. Don't get me wrong there are lots of legit BBs but there is also an abundance of McDojo BJJ BBs as well, moreso than ever.
8/23/13 11:32 PM
CRE
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - 
PTM2020 - 
Kirik - 

I miss The Don

UG has been in the grip of accelerating inequality for years.  Mods have been supporting policies that benefit the few at the expense of everyone else.  No matter what you call it - trickle down politics, free market fundamentalism, crony agenda's- it is all rooted in the idea that if you take care of the people at the very top, everyone benefits.  That is a lie and we reject it.

This site has one simple purpose: to provide us and our fellow members with facts, graphics, and more reading about penises, poop, and gay jokes.  Steal these facts, graphics, and ideas.  Hack them, tweet them, put them up on telephone poles, on walls, on cars, on buses, etc.  This is our forum and we will reclaim it.

We are the 99.9%

*clap*

WOOOOOOO!!!-

Outwitted.

Next?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.