UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mike Tyson: "I've Been Lying About Being Sober"

8/25/13 3:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MattyECB
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lite - Tyson put on amazing displays in the ring, though how he ranks among the greatest heavyweights is hotly debated, but I can see being a fan.

But people post like he's some kind of decent human being. I'm curious where that is even coming from? Most evidence points in the other direction. Phone Post 3.0

Ya, after D'Amato died he already started to slip, but kept the same coaching staff and thus the same general style -- training vids are awesome as you see him fire off 4-5 power shots in one second and each on always accompanied by a slip or dip.

His staff had a number system and would shout out combos, and the entire thing was wonderfully polished... Once he removed the last remnants of his old training camp, is when he started to shift into the plodding haymaker machine who'd only headhunt and eat shots and this is why he'll never be a legendary HW imo -- albeit one of the most talented and most influential.

His prime died long before he could start gaining traction with rivalries and after he lost, he had no support system to change or improve his game, just a bunch of ppl looking for more cash.

Forget Lennox, by the time he fought Holyfield he was already absolute garbage -- he had lost the embarrassing Douglas upset, lost his original camp, been imprisoned and had his mediocre comeback....

There is something to be said about the aura a person can only achieve when he starts his career with 20ish straight-KOs, the majority in the first round, but I feel like most ppl forget what his true strengths were and only remember power because of his later style
8/25/13 4:14 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy
1065 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.UncleCreepyMMA.com, UGCTT President
he's a beast, i feel for em i have a violent mindset too and i'm finally getting past my drug days filled with trouble.. great video, thanks OP. glad he's getting sober too.
8/25/13 4:26 PM
maxbrothersinc
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap -
Black Belt Wrestling - I'm sure most of you know that Teddy Atlas once held a gun to Mike Tysons head because of Iron Mike sexually harassing / maybe even attempting more? one of Teddys 11 year old family members

I think Tyson is about as fake as it gets.

We've all made mistakes guy, and he did that when he was 16. We've all done things we regret. The fact that he wants to make amends and try to fix the wrongs he has made, shows something special.

I swear, some dudes on here are like women. You hold shit against people foreeeevvverrrrrr and never let it go no matter what.

This Phone Post
8/25/13 4:33 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
8/25/13 4:35 PM
Dobba1

In Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 5:13 PM
Coranamo

MattyECB - TO ppl saying Tyson is fake because he sexually assaulted an 11yo, grabbed her ass while he was 16, you should try and remember Tyson has never denied this charge and has even admitted to sexually assaulting women in the past -- just not Givens.

No shit he was pretty despicable growing up -- he committed assaults, domestic battery, did drugs, stole, was a misogynist, was incredibly racist despite his favorite person and father figure being a white man, and a host of other issues he's actually quite candid in admitting.

The reason he's so enthralling to many is because underneath this seemingly moronic thug was a man who actually studied the science and philosophy of boxing.

He was a fucked up mess growing up and as a fighter, but he made a clear attempt to improve himself and open up to the world -- showing us not only the tiger-buying, baby-eating train-wreck we all enjoyed watching, but now a deeply flawed individual trying to improve...

I don't think he's a good man, but I think he's genuine and I think he's definitely made changes in an attempt to better himself. Saying he's full of shit because of something he did while he was 16 that he openly admits and apologizes for is silly. And as fucked up as that is, that's hardly the worst of his avowed crimes he's admitted to.

holy shit upvote
8/25/13 5:15 PM
MEOWticket
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Mike Tyson is trying to make amends with the universe. There is deep beauty in that.

Mind = blown Phone Post
8/25/13 5:43 PM
GeneraI
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattyECB - TO ppl saying Tyson is fake because he sexually assaulted an 11yo, grabbed her ass while he was 16, you should try and remember Tyson has never denied this charge and has even admitted to sexually assaulting women in the past -- just not Givens.

No shit he was pretty despicable growing up -- he committed assaults, domestic battery, did drugs, stole, was a misogynist, was incredibly racist despite his favorite person and father figure being a white man, and a host of other issues he's actually quite candid in admitting.

The reason he's so enthralling to many is because underneath this seemingly moronic thug was a man who actually studied the science and philosophy of boxing.

He was a fucked up mess growing up and as a fighter, but he made a clear attempt to improve himself and open up to the world -- showing us not only the tiger-buying, baby-eating train-wreck we all enjoyed watching, but now a deeply flawed individual trying to improve...

I don't think he's a good man, but I think he's genuine and I think he's definitely made changes in an attempt to better himself. Saying he's full of shit because of something he did while he was 16 that he openly admits and apologizes for is silly. And as fucked up as that is, that's hardly the worst of his avowed crimes he's admitted to.
Couldn't said it better myself. VU! Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 7:28 PM
Atomic
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 8:57 PM
no-gi_JAMES420
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

motherfucker is crazy, gotta feel for the guy. Hope he gets it together.
8/25/13 9:08 PM
hiptosser

When Mike was 16 he was probably as mentally and physiologically developed as a low functioning 10-12 yold, illiterate and mentally ill. I'm not making excuses for him but once the urge to grab that little girls ass manifested there was probably no way he could not do it.
What kind of train wreck ensues when that guy get trashed?
He is a tragic character, desperately wants to be a good guy but his demons won't allow it.
8/25/13 9:09 PM
Johnny Hotdog

Jesus KO'd stayrad - Gotta love mike. He's so captivating, dude is really interesting, pure of heart seems like he was just exploited by people his whole life and got caught up in some bad shit Phone Post 3.0
he raped a woman, how the fuck is he pure of heart? are you fucking retarded? Phone Post
8/25/13 11:19 PM
McSurly
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nostripewhite - 
DEZBOT - What was he on? Prescription stuff? Or disco shit? I know he said he's a alcoholic, but it would be interesting to know what addiction he was battling Phone Post 3.0
Being a shitbag. Phone Post 3.0

Seems like you two share the same affliction. 

8/26/13 12:17 AM
Pain dont hurt
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My sister was in this AA meeting he's referring to. Small world.
8/26/13 1:24 AM
Carogan

The guy was BRED to be the baddest motherfucker (not just fighter) on the planet for his first 30 years of life. BRED that way whether everyone around him intended to turn him out that way or not.

And then something happened along the way where Mike himself realized that he wasn't living his life right. This realization doesn't occur to many of these people who go down the wrong path, never mind someone who - through the upbringing and training that he did get - managed to achieve the pinnacle of his profession, earned hundreds of millions of dollars because of it, as well as got showered the fame and notoriety that comes with being the baddest man on the planet.

You have to remember - as much as our society abhors violence on one hand...it as much glorifies it on the other as well.

Most men that achieve the success he did can get a god complex, and their egos tend to always rationalize the trouble and the bad that they cause.

And when Mike hit bottom its clear that there was an epiphany and he knew he needed to change. Its obvious when you hear him speak candidly and honestly that his soul is desperately seeking redemption for the evil he has done, even as he still battles with his own instincts and addictions.

He was the baddest man in the world. For a man bred to be just that, I find it admirable that he can bare his soul like he has to the world, apologize without excuse, and beg its forgiveness exposing his innermost vulnerabilities at the risk of making himself a laughingstock to the world.

He is afraid of no man physically, but clearly he fears more powerful demons battling his spirit from within. Has he done horrific acts in his past - of course he has. But when a man recognizes his sins and is now begging for people to help him turn his life around so that he can be a positive force in our society, how can you turn your back to him?

He faces a struggle far greater than most of us will ever endure (no, its much, much harder to kick an addiction than it is to have always stayed on a sobering path.) The fact that so much has happened in his life that drugs and alcohol becomes a means of self-medication, a way to deal with and forget the trauma of what he has done and experienced, doesn't help much either.

Those of us expressing our support for this man aren't doing so only because he was a great boxer, or because we dismiss the sins of his past. We are not only cheering on Mike Tyson, but we are also supporting each and every other single person out there who is battling to turn himself around in this very tough and cruel world of ours the way Mike is fighting to do.

WAR MIKE.
8/26/13 6:40 AM
Fyuk Yu

Rudi - 
JetSetter -
Rudi -
Lite - shocker
fuck u goof Phone Post
F U goof Phone Post 3.0
I'll fuck you till you love me faggot Phone Post

Everyone has a plan til they get punched in the mouth.
8/26/13 7:02 AM
ShamusO'nyou
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has been living a privileged lifestyle since he was about 13 and as an adult made hundreds of millions.

As bad as he has had it he has had many more chances than most to turn his life around.

I hope he finds peace but he has never been a particularly nice or honest person at any point in his life and I think he is unlikely to change at this point.
8/26/13 7:41 AM
The Sultan
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Media monster. ...what's the Tommy Morrisson story? Phone Post
8/26/13 7:54 AM
RentedMule
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't have time to watch the video right now, so I may sound like a fool depending on what was revealed. But even if he's continued abusing drugs, he's still seemed to turn his life around, at least in part.

I mean, he's not beating up motherfuckers in the street after fender-benders, right? Hopefully his life continues to improve.
8/26/13 8:48 AM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a soft spot for Mike Tyson, cried during the scene were he and Cus were training in the Tyson film. I think one of the most telling stories of his life is the one where he wrote a reporter a note while in jail saying he did not rape Desiree Washington but is doing the time to right the other wrongs in his life that went unpunished. God knows what he did between 12-30, the guy is a fascinating study of human behavior on so many levels. From the effects of the ghetto on a youth, to the biggest sports star in the universe and it's affects on you, to the scummy people in life who live to be a leech.
8/26/13 9:11 AM
charms434
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Mike Tyson is trying to make amends with the universe. There is deep beauty in that.

Fact. I was an addict for yrs. Six days of sobriety is ALOT when you're trying to get clean. The biggest step is the first day and admitting you have a problem. For anyone to judge a man who is sharing his personal business, is kind of low, and you probably need to do some soul searching of your own.
For him to go to his AA meeting to discuss what steps he should take with Teddy, shows he's truly trying to be on the right path. Phone Post 3.0
8/26/13 9:16 AM
AngryFoamy
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Tyson was my generations Ali so I will always have a natural pull towards him. To me, he is the most enigmatic athlete. I grew up in Chicago during the Jordan years, but I still revere Kid Dynamite as my favorite athlete.

I think he's achieved, accomplished and lived through so much considering where he came from and what 99.9% of people with upbringing similar to his end up.

I wish him all the strength in the world to defeat his toughest opponent, himself. I'll always be a Mike Tyson fan.
8/26/13 9:19 AM
charms434
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShamusO'nyou -
Bobby Lupo - 
Kirik -

He has been for years. I talked with him at that Ricco Rodriguez boxing experiment, and even then a 300lb Tyson was talking about being sober and devoting the rear of his life to "good deeds, you know like missionary work in Africa." Phone Post 3.0

He seems to be a convincing liar.

He definitely has something about him because people always want to believe the best about him.

I bet if he got drunk just after that interview then went on a booze and drug fueled year of madness and violence but declared he was trying to change when the year was up everybody would be patting him on the back .
And so what if he relapsed after this and then tried to get sober again?
If someone falls down but tries to pick themselves up, God Bless em. What's wrong with dusting yourself off, even if its for the 1000th time? Why kick someone while they're down?
Somehow when someone is famous, people feel they have this right to pass their judgements onto them. It's strange. Phone Post 3.0
8/26/13 9:20 AM
Munk

"Ironic that people can understand how circumstances made Mike who he was, but every other young black male is just a criminal who was born that way and is destined to be nothing more than scum. "

No, just calling people out on who they CHOOSE to be by CHOOSING to engage in crime and take the easy way. Quit blaming others for viewing shit behavior as shit behavior. If the black community doesn't like the profile then they need to change it by changing their CHOSEN actions.
8/26/13 9:25 AM
charms434

JeffersonDArcyChoke -
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap -
Black Belt Wrestling - I'm sure most of you know that Teddy Atlas once held a gun to Mike Tysons head because of Iron Mike sexually harassing / maybe even attempting more? one of Teddys 11 year old family members

I think Tyson is about as fake as it gets.

We've all made mistakes guy, and he did that when he was 16. We've all done things we regret. The fact that he wants to make amends and try to fix the wrongs he has made, shows something special.

I swear, some dudes on here are like women. You hold shit against people foreeeevvverrrrrr and never let it go no matter what.

Why?

Why is it we reward the drunk who quits drinking but we don't reward the guy who never touches a drink?

Why does it take "such strength" to get clean yet we never hear it takes strength to never head down that path?

The problem with Mike started when he took the biggest piece of chicken and a second helping before the other kids got to eat and Cus D'Amato told him that was ok because HE was gonna be champ.

Yeah, he did become champ but that feeling of entitlement ruined his life.

Too many enablers were around, from John Horne down the line and with Cus gone there was no one he respected.

I am a Mike fan. Always have been.

I just can't applaud his coming clean with this news because it's not anything to cheer.

We should just hope he gets it right this time and people around him help him stay that way. Phone Post
I don't know where you are from. But I don't know many addicts who are 'rewarded'
When they decide to get clean they get a lot of help from people around them, and it does take a lot of strength to get clean.
But if you'd like a pat on the back for never drinking let me be the first to say
"YOU'RE THE BEST!" Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.