UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> JDS’ coach says Velasquez can’t take a punch

8/25/13 12:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bossk
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any punch to the back of the head is hard to take.

8/25/13 12:38 PM
roperninja
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain looked to push forward against Cheick's punches fine, and that dude his like a truck. Repeatedly...
8/25/13 12:52 PM
GarlicSauce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GROUNDnLB - 
GarlicSauce -

NO ONE can take a dos Santos punch (except Roy Nelson). Cain is a tough SOB but we all know that one good punch from Dos Santos will put his lights out.

Cain lacks that one-punch KO ability. His style demands more of him than Dos Santos does his.

Love both guys, but if I were Cain I'd be afraid now.
You forgot Carwin Phone Post 3.0

I was actually going to include him and the guy really can take a punch (like in his Gonzaga fight too), but by the end of the fight against JDS Carwin looked like he was mauled by a tiger.
8/25/13 1:07 PM
JOESONDO
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - There's merit to that argument. Cheick Kongo had him on shaky legs in all 3 rounds of their fight, and JDS put him out.

Still gonna be difficult to land. Phone Post 3.0

This is true. Even in the Ben Rothwell fight, Cain started to strike with Rothwell but appeared to get wobbled. He then promptly took Rothwell down.

This doesn't mean Cain can't win the fight, he obviously can. He came in with the better strategy the 2nd fight and won convincingly because of it (out cardio-ing JDS worked brilliantly).

Just because he won doesn't mean he has no weaknesses and it doesn't mean the fight can't go the other way.

It's absurd that every time someone wins they are invincible on here and every time someone loses they couldn't possibly win a again.

8/25/13 1:22 PM
minotauro11
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate when people write off the first fight to a lucky punch then proceed to say how great Cain looked the second time. You could just as easily say Cain landed a lucky punch in the first that rocked JDS and clearly changed the pace of the whole fight. Neither punch was lucky, both guys aimed it and landed where they were trying to land. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 1:35 PM
roperninja
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - I hate when people write off the first fight to a lucky punch then proceed to say how great Cain looked the second time. You could just as easily say Cain landed a lucky punch in the first that rocked JDS and clearly changed the pace of the whole fight. Neither punch was lucky, both guys aimed it and landed where they were trying to land. Phone Post 3.0
I don't know man. I like Jds but the first fight can be called a fluke and the second fight was domination for a looooong time. In my opinion of course. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 1:52 PM
40oztofreedom
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Velasquez's coach says JDS can't wrestle Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 1:54 PM
XcessiveZ

roperninja -
minotauro11 - I hate when people write off the first fight to a lucky punch then proceed to say how great Cain looked the second time. You could just as easily say Cain landed a lucky punch in the first that rocked JDS and clearly changed the pace of the whole fight. Neither punch was lucky, both guys aimed it and landed where they were trying to land. Phone Post 3.0
I don't know man. I like Jds but the first fight can be called a fluke and the second fight was domination for a looooong time. In my opinion of course. Phone Post 3.0
I don't understand how that could be called a fluke.JDS is a KO artist and KO'd Cain like he did most other opponents. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 1:59 PM
ausgepicht

Atkinson - 
Ansari -

Cain took 66 of them in his win over Dos Santos, 57 of which were "significant".

FightMetric

Most of them landed by a walking dead JDS. Phone Post 3.0

Would you want to take a punch from a walking dead JDS? 

8/25/13 2:00 PM
TuLegit

Juniors game is just as complete as Cains who else have we seen get up in a nanosecond from his takedowns? No one. Cain never controlled him on the ground or did damage from a dominant position. That punch in the first round won him the fight. Junior can take the third fight he just wasn't ready for Cains pressure in the first fight. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 2:07 PM
roperninja

XcessiveZ -
roperninja -
I don't understand how that could be called a fluke.JDS is a KO artist and KO'd Cain like he did most other opponents. Phone Post 3.0
It's not that I think JDS can't KO him again or anyone. It's that I think the punch that did it before was fluke. Just an opinion. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 2:33 PM
i_shogun_ruas

Cain via destruction Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 2:44 PM
TylerSG7
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GarlicSauce -

NO ONE can take a dos Santos punch (except Roy Nelson). Cain is a tough SOB but we all know that one good punch from Dos Santos will put his lights out.

Cain lacks that one-punch KO ability. His style demands more of him than Dos Santos does his.

Love both guys, but if I were Cain I'd be afraid now.
He mauled JDS for 5 rounds. I don't think Cain has any reason to be afraid. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 2:48 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL!!!! Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 2:50 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very happy to hear he is keeping his training the same.
Good luck with that!
Velasquez Vs. Jones 2014 bring it on. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 2:58 PM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants

Jones cuts weight, Cain stays enjoying his Mexican food and the HW Title.

I welcome your VD's as long as you know that I'm right. Phone Post 3.0
8/25/13 3:14 PM
ausgepicht

ConditJustGSPeedHisPants - Very happy to hear he is keeping his training the same.
Good luck with that!
Velasquez Vs. Jones 2014 bring it on. Phone Post 3.0

HAHA! So true. 

8/25/13 3:31 PM
Entreri

JDS should do high altitude training.
8/25/13 3:40 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Kind if common sense. JDS hits really hard, Cain doesn't have the best chin, if JDS hits Cain he's probably going down Phone Post

Just like the 25 minute long second fight. Just never occured to him, right tro11?

Come on man, you're so bitter and angry I know you can insult me better than that. Phone Post
8/25/13 3:55 PM
ausgepicht

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
ausgepicht -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Kind if common sense. JDS hits really hard, Cain doesn't have the best chin, if JDS hits Cain he's probably going down Phone Post

Just like the 25 minute long second fight. Just never occured to him, right tro11?

Come on man, you're so bitter and angry I know you can insult me better than that. Phone Post

Come on man. I know you can actually make a post that contributes to the discussion instead of being the thought police and handing out citations. Kirkrik doesn't have a position open for forum sherrif.

Why not debate the point instead of copping out?

8/25/13 4:18 PM
Stephen Holder

Anyone who saw JDS vs. Hunt knows how impressive it was that he ko'd Hunt and the manner in which he did it as well. With that said, I know I can't be the only one who thought to themselves how much quicker Cain would have stopped Hunt.

Junior only has a round or two to preserve his power and stamina to ko Cain. If bell for the third round sounds and Velasquez is still standing, Cain takes it imo. Rogan pointed out how impressive it was that Junior pulled that roundhouse out of his ass in the 3rd against Hunt but the differnece is that Cain will work every muscle in JDS's body to the point that for Junior to just be standing at that point would be impressive.

So yeah.. There's truth to the fact that Cain has a suspect chin but when in good health he has proven he can avoid getting hit and if he survives Junior's standup long enough to wear him out past the second round he's got it. Imo Junior gambles if he focouses strictly on trying to ko Cain when he's healthy because if he doesn't get a good enough shot off fast enough he's gonna pay for it more and more as each second passes.
8/25/13 4:29 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
ausgepicht -

Come on man. I know you can actually make a post that contributes to the discussion instead of being the thought police and handing out citations. Kirkrik doesn't have a position open for forum sherrif.

Why not debate the point instead of copping out?

What point? If JDS hits Cain hard he's going down. What is there to debate? Phone Post
8/25/13 4:34 PM
12SixElbow
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its weird when talking about HW's and chins / being able to take a punch.

Who really knows? I think if JDS lands the right punch he puts down most HW's. Do they all have bad chins? You're all tough, you're all HW's.

8/25/13 4:35 PM
CiganoBoxer

this x2 please :)
8/25/13 4:36 PM
BackOffWarchild
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody at the heavyweight level can "take a punch". These men are too large and too powerful to shrug off a well-placed power strike. Even those lacking basic technique are hitting like frate tranes. Anyone who would argue "ability to take a punch" is a good thing at that level is setting themselves up to take a savage beating and spend their retirement years drooling onto a bib.

Yes, we've seen Cain get hurt standing before. Even the chinniest fighters (Hunt, Cabbage) eventually get cracked. Does JDS have the power to turn Cain's lights out? Of course. Worked the first fight, but he wasn't able to bring that power to bear in the 2nd. JDS striking advantage gets overrated in the discussion about a Cain matchup more because of fans' personal likes and dislikes than rational decision-making.

They're both awesome, athletic, powerful fighters.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.