UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Rolling Blind

8/26/13 9:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eyeMDaMan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just wanted to get a sense of how common this level of visual impairment is in regards to the bjj/martial arts/mma community.

i have pretty crappy eyes(i get ssi for being blind) i think my vision is at least 20/1000 and my eyeglass(just makes objects a bit less blurry and give me migraines to wear them a lot) prescription rx is like "-20.00" for both the left and right eyes. this is not including the "-6.00" for my astigmatism alone.
i like to think that i make a constant effort to not limit myself due to my impairment but common sense does force its way in at times. police dont enjoy my driving, even when i get busted driving drunk people home two seperate times. jailtime aint that bad for me.
i was just wondering how many folks have similar eye problems on this forum and how do they manage in training there respective martial arts?

thank you,

ps. yes i do use a red tipped cane at night. zero night vision. i could have a penis right in front of me at night and never know it. bad bad analogy i know.

ever picture a fellow at nighttime riding(very very slowly) on a bicycle with one hand and wielding a mobility/blind cane with the other?(so as not to veer off their chosen trajectory/path)??? yeah i am one of them.
8/26/13 9:34 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know a guy who teaches BJJ at a school for the blind, and specializes in teaching self-defense to people with physical handicaps that would normally preclude them from such training.

PM me if you'd like me to put you in contact.

8/26/13 10:26 PM
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

call Torrance,leave a message for guido,he runs the the free classes for the kids from braille institute.

in fact ,1 kid was just got a promotion
8/26/13 11:08 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I was going to refer him to Mario, when did Guido start teaching blind kids at the Academy?

Two roads to the same destination, OP will be in excellent hands.

:)

8/27/13 1:15 AM
Magic Mago

Trolling Phone Post
8/27/13 9:58 AM
eviladam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm completely blind in both eyes.
8/28/13 5:04 PM
eyeMDaMan

completely blind in both eyes???? wow, and i thought i was bad. how do YOU manage with your training.

and i am located in vancouver,wa so torrance is a bit off the path for the likes of me.

regards,

zachary
8/28/13 7:30 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy

I'm across the river in PDX, so if you need some boots on the ground to help you find a place, I'm your guy.

8/30/13 5:15 AM
eyeMDaMan

i get around ok, i just find it hard for some(most) teachers/instructors/senseis/WHOS THE MASTAH!?s to truly understand and comply when i request that they PLEASE include an "unrealistic" amount of "detail" or specificity when demonstrating the techniques they expect me to learn. i find it quite maddening.
people think they understand but......lol.
i wish they made those red tipped canes with lead shot cores. you know, like a sap.
i could just envision myself wielding such a contraption and whipping myself in the back of the noggin ala a three sectioned staff.

regards,

ps. i was thinking about checking out this place called NEMESIS which is located near a poker club i play at. so who knows.
8/30/13 10:46 AM
CJJScout
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All forms of grappling are great for vision impaired folks. In wrestling, the ref starts them touching. If they break contact, he puts them back together.
8/30/13 1:12 PM
Hywel Teague
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
How do you read and write on a forum? Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 2:13 AM
eyeMDaMan

am having been training for a few months via telephone on the VoiceOver function of the Mac OS X. my computer "talks" to me in a soothing sexy voice.

my rx glasses wise is around -20.00 both eyes, so some vision exists. i can count fingers if they are about three inches in front of my nose. i having a teaming disorder so i basically see double with whatever residual vision is left. but it is been that way since birth 100% so it is what it is. lots of audiobooks. and i do not drive any longer.

regards,

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.