UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> ATTN: TATAMI GI: SHRINKAGE??

8/27/13 2:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
McLeod
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a little disappointed here.

I bought a tatami (basic one with blue lettering on the shoulders)
I washed it once, everything was ok, then took it to a place to get a bunch of my schools patches attached to the back and lapel. I washed it again after a second wear, and it shrunk. BAD. Not just a little. A LOT. Probably a full size. Like I would've thought I puicked up someone elses gi had it not been for the patches.
I air dried after cold water.
I also bought the Enson Gi with the rash guard but am waiting on cold weather, so it hasn't been out of the bag.

Anyone else ever experienced this problem with their gis???
I own *ahem, embarrassed* 15 gis, and never had this much shrinkage.
8/27/13 7:54 AM
GARRA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a LOT of tatami gi's and had no isses with shrinkage on any of them. Estilo, Zero, Sub-Zero, Nova basic. I always wash at 40deg and hang dry.

email: gareth@tatamifightwear.com or info@tatamifightwear.com

I'm sure they will help if they can
8/27/13 8:51 AM
Wrath_of_Crom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GARRA - I have a LOT of tatami gi's and had no isses with shrinkage on any of them. Estilo, Zero, Sub-Zero, Nova basic. I always wash at 40deg and hang dry.

Same here. I love that they don't shrink and the cut is perfect for me. Phone Post 3.0
8/27/13 10:09 AM
plasticonoband
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the tatami terere and my student has thd estillo and zero. No issues with shrinkage at all.......strange. I cold wash and hang dry mine though. Great gis imo. Phone Post 3.0
8/27/13 10:27 AM
CheesyPoofs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my Estilo got raped when I put it in the dryer once, its A2 size now lol, lucky it was to big and now fits perfectly
8/27/13 11:34 AM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GARRA - I have a LOT of tatami gi's and had no isses with shrinkage on any of them. Estilo, Zero, Sub-Zero, Nova basic. I always wash at 40deg and hang dry.

I haven't had problems with tatami on shrinkage at all. I have 2 Estilos.

Also I think it's got one of the best cuts in the market not like a wizards robe fit like a shoyoroll is on me.
8/27/13 1:07 PM
GARRA
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mrs McLeod given it a sneaky boil wash and tumble dry and bot told you? Phone Post
8/27/13 7:18 PM
MattyJ
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got 2 estilios and not had a problem with either Phone Post 3.0
8/27/13 11:19 PM
McLeod
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

weird. Maybe Ill email them, but not much that can be done really. :(
8/28/13 3:21 AM
jonbroster
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine shrank a tiny amount on the first wash, but nothing more since then. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 3:36 PM
Rock N Rowe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird. I've had three and gave had no issues: Two Estilo 3.0s and one Basic. My brother has one Estilo 3.0, one Estilo 4.0 and a basic and he's also had no shrinkage issues either. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 6:45 PM
hubbarocks
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have one of those exact Gis and same thing happened. Washed twice, shrunk like crazy. Weird 'cause the Fuji ones I have haven't shrunk at all and I've heard the opposite about Fujis. Phone Post
9/3/13 7:03 PM
BJJBuster
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't tatami made in Pakistan? I refuse to buy paki Gis they are all inconsistent and suffer the same problems described here regardless of "brand" put on them

They are all cheap Gis Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 11:22 PM
McLeod

Are they on this site at all? Have a membership?
9/4/13 12:11 AM
jakubceefin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you sure the place where you took it for patches didn't wash it afterwards? I know some alterations shops will do that just to assure that there aren't lose stitches.
9/6/13 12:15 AM
McLeod

No, It hadn't shrunk from when the patches had been put on, so if they washed it, it was still fine (and I dont think they did.) Then after I wore it again, I washed it againa nd that's when it shrunk.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.