UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Josh Barnett Interview

8/27/13 6:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shoman
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shomanart.com, Artist. MMA Sentinel

At the tender age of 24, Josh Barnett captured UFC gold when he defeated Randy Couture for the heavyweight title. There is a decent chance that MMA fans reading this have no idea that Josh fought in the UFC, let alone won the heavyweight title from a Hall of Famer. He will be making his UFC re-debut this weekend, taking on the 2 time UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir. Coincidentally, both Mir and Barnett fought on the UFC 36 card when Josh won the title. After 11 years and drastically different MMA paths, the 2 will meet inside the cage on August 31.

Barnett is unique in so many ways. He isn’t your typical fighter, yet he’s totally your typical fighter. As a personal friend, Josh is one of the smartest people I know. However, he is also the most violent person I know; when it is time to be violent. I once asked him before his fight with Gilbert Yvel if he was worried about Yvel’s known dirty tactics. Josh replied by saying that if it came to it, he could level the playing field and get just as nasty. These are the words of a huge comic book fan, a death metal head, and a seasoned catch wrestler. Despite his chiseled jaw and sometimes pretty boy look, Barnett is a throwback to a time where men were carved out of granite. He isn’t going to get in a Prius and look for the perfectly pH balanced water from Whole Foods. Josh Barnett will drive his custom muscle car and crank the sounds of Goatwhore up to 100, possibly to slay a dragon that lurks on the I-5 near Orange County.

This interview was conducted on MMA Sentinel Radio on 8/23/13 by Evan Shoman and Stephie Daniels.

Evan Shoman: When you fight someone like Frank Mir are you worried about what he brings to the table, or do you just focus on the Josh Barnett game plan?

Josh Barnett: I’ve done my research and I know how Frank fights. I’ve prepared a few little welcoming gifts for him. At the end of the day, you have to fight your fight. If I have him fighting my fight, he will be doing what I want him to do.

ES: We saw Shogun get choked out by Chael Sonnen last week. Do you feel like you are that last glimmer of hope for the ‘Pride Never Die’ attitude that fans have?

JB: No. I was there. I lived it. Nothing dies if you remember it within yourself. I was a fighter there. Whether it dies or not, is not up to me. I’m not going to go out and wave a flag for a dead organization THAT ACTUALLY OWED ME MONEY WHEN IT FOLDED!

Read the rest of the interview at:

http://www.hov-mma.com/2013/08/mma-sentinel-interviews-josh-barnett.html
8/27/13 6:56 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great interview! Goatwhore \m/ Phone Post 3.0
8/27/13 7:18 PM
FullyLoadedFists
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
8/27/13 10:55 PM
countingcoup

Edited: 08/27/13 10:57 PM
Hmmm well you have Uriah Hall ~ true true, but then you have John J Bones? Wasssaaaa
8/28/13 12:09 AM
Kirik
1744 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

ttt

8/28/13 12:16 AM
Chucklesmf
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Evan, Crook, and the WARMASTER!! VTFU, awesome interview. Phone Post 3.0
8/28/13 12:34 AM
MagSlim

The font on that website is illegible garbage.

Did not read.
8/28/13 12:37 AM
teamquestnorth
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His thoughts on the pride never die thing are spot on Phone Post
8/28/13 3:10 AM
MartialArtsMixed
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you guys make podcasts out of your shows shoman? Phone Post 3.0
8/28/13 11:32 AM
Crooklyn
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/28/13 11:31 AM
BloodyElbow.com, Featured Writer
MartialArtsMixed - Do you guys make podcasts out of your shows shoman? Phone Post 3.0

Yes we do! Here's the link for the Barnett interview:

http://www.mmasentinel.com/2013/08/josh-barnett-ufc-interview-full-audio/

8/28/13 11:35 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Josh is dead on about the athlete/fighter situation... I got ripped up for making a thread about it. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.