UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Benson Henderson defends style, lack of finishes

8/29/13 10:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Benson Henderson is a perfect 7-0 inside the UFC octagon and has defended his UFC title three times, but has yet to finish an opponent, having won all seven of his UFC bouts by decision. Fans and media have criticized him for not finishing fights, however according to him at least, winning is the only thing that matters:

"If a guy walks into the cage and slips on a banana peel and I get a win, I'll take the win," Henderson said on Thursday.

"What it all boils down to is getting your hand raised. Whether you do it impressively, emphatically, whether you do it by split decision or whatever the case may be," he said.

I'm always after beating the guy up," Henderson continued. "I always want to beat the guy up. I don't care about judges or decisions or this or that. I just want to go out there and beat the guy up."

read entire article...

8/29/13 11:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our God is an awesome God Phone Post 3.0
8/29/13 11:15 PM
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wondered how long it would take for GSP to be brought up
8/29/13 11:57 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - Who cares? He comes to fight.

8/30/13 12:10 AM
fathalpert
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a great fighter and does his best to win. That said, I can't wait to watch him and Pettis fight again. Pettis via KO.
8/30/13 1:30 AM
Samoa
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson's GnP is much more wide open full throttle kind of stuff than GSP's is.  Just my opinion of what I'm seeing when I see them fight, but thats how I see it.

8/30/13 1:32 AM
CrazyPope
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - 
in_different - i wondered how long it would take for GSP to be brought up

He is the master of fighting without fighting.

Neither he or Benson are impressive, winning by decision in the UFC with the pathetic rules means you "controlled" a guy by holding on to him until the bell rung.

GSP is 100x worse than Benson, at least Benson fights and looks like he trys to finish.

Just lol
8/30/13 4:51 AM
Y2JB

Everything Benson does rubs me the wrong way. He's been gifted several of those decisions (lost to Frankie twice and lost to Gil IMO), sooner or later his luck will run out.

At the end of the day, your legacy is heavily tarnished if you aren't finishing guys.
8/30/13 5:11 AM
JayBRO

GSP is only considered to be Lay n praying if you don't know anything about grappling. Sorry noobs Phone Post 3.0
8/30/13 9:20 AM
disbeliever
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
JayBRO - GSP is only considered to be Lay n praying if you don't know anything about grappling. Sorry noobs Phone Post 3.0

I agree the people calling GSP a "lay and pray" fighter are delusional. He is always active.

My perspective on GSP is he is a "safe fighter" who will never take chances anymore. And what I mean by that is he will not open himself up by going for a finish, if it would put him in a bad position if it failed. That's not lay and pray, it's just safe. While I find his work technically beautiful and appreciate how much skill he has, as a fan of MMA I still want to see a dominate champ finish a fight more than once ever few years.

That all said, GSP is looking out for his future IMO, and that's not a bad thing. If he loses he could potentially lose out on millions of dollars. So I can see the reasons why he fights how he does.
8/30/13 9:32 AM
Leck Brosnar

Wow @ ChokeEmOut, I have no idea how a guy with your intelligence has survived this long in the world. You sir are a freak among retards, gongrats. The potato trophy will be coming later by airmail.
8/30/13 10:36 AM
Aaron Becker

JayBRO - GSP is only considered to be Lay n praying if you don't know anything about grappling. Sorry noobs Phone Post 3.0

I would normally agree with this but GSP does what he does on purpose, he purposely doesn't take risks. I can think of two examples where fighters were in positions that GSP could put him self in and took a risk. First one is Pettis/Guida when Pettis tried to finish the fight when he had Guidas back and Pettis ended up giving up position which ultimately led to a reversal for Guids, for reasons like that GSP is content with not trying to take ones back. Another example just from this week is when Kelvin took the back of Melancon when he had him rocked and thought to myself "I wonder if GSP would take their back if he had them rocked?" And I don't think we would have
8/30/13 10:41 AM
caseharts
510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache -
KingofBJJ - Who cares? He comes to fight.

. Phone Post
8/30/13 1:44 PM
Slowshot
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://t.qkme.me/3qez4c.jpg
8/30/13 7:16 PM
ender852
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - 

I agree the people calling GSP a "lay and pray" fighter are delusional. He is always active.

My perspective on GSP is he is a "safe fighter" who will never take chances anymore. And what I mean by that is he will not open himself up by going for a finish, if it would put him in a bad position if it failed. That's not lay and pray, it's just safe. While I find his work technically beautiful and appreciate how much skill he has, as a fan of MMA I still want to see a dominate champ finish a fight more than once ever few years.

That all said, GSP is looking out for his future IMO, and that's not a bad thing. If he loses he could potentially lose out on millions of dollars. So I can see the reasons why he fights how he does.

*dominant champ, dominate is a verb.
sorry to be "that guy", but I see this all the time on here...
"fighter x has such dominate wins!"

DOMINANT!!!!!!

/end rant
8/30/13 7:51 PM
ChucoV
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like GSP better. Phone Post
8/30/13 8:26 PM
snookerbank
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find henderson's fights awesome but i do laugh when he talks of beating andersons record when two of his recent title defenses could have gone either way. Phone Post
8/30/13 8:27 PM
Glovegate

ChokeEmOut - 

Neither he or Benson are impressive, winning by decision in the UFC with the pathetic rules means you "controlled" a guy by holding on to him until the bell rung.

GSP is 100x worse than Benson, at least Benson fights and looks like he trys to finish.

I would love to see this dipshit after being "controlled" by GSP for 25 minutes. 

I hope he likes puking and pissing blood.

8/30/13 8:51 PM
ChaosOverkill
733 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RockMeAmadeus - Fans do want to see finishes especially from a dominant champion.

But most fans do really enjoy Bendo's fights even though they all goto decision because he actually fights like he wants to finish which is exciting. It is just that the competition is so close and stacked in LW that he's unable to finish.

GSP, on the other hand, is heavily criticized for not finishing because his gameplan is a "safe" and boring LnP or StandnJab meant not to finish but win points to a Decision which really pisses off most non-canadian fans. He doesn't try to finish and the criticism is justified especially when WW division is not as competitive nor stacked and when he cherry picks an unworthy diaz to finish but can't.

Ok retard.

He just said he'll fight any way he has to to get a win and GSP who does the same thing and apologizes for not getting finishes is till the villain to your 13 year old troll brain.

Apply to Mensa

8/30/13 9:49 PM
Oontyex
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate -
ChokeEmOut - 

I would love to see this dipshit after being "controlled" by GSP for 25 minutes. 

When was the last time you saw gsp damage someone / put them in legitimate danger that you thought they'd be finished ...
Oh no, wrestling, I'm lying down against my will.
My blanket dominated me last night, but my head dominated the pillow, so I guess I'm 1 for 1. Phone Post 3.0
8/30/13 11:54 PM
ender852
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oontyex - 
Glovegate -
ChokeEmOut - 

When was the last time you saw gsp damage someone / put them in legitimate danger that you thought they'd be finished ...
Oh no, wrestling, I'm lying down against my will.
My blanket dominated me last night, but my head dominated the pillow, so I guess I'm 1 for 1. Phone Post 3.0

He fucked up Koscheck pretty bad, that fight should have been stopped by the doctor. Motherfucker's broken orbital was so bad he couldn't even get on a plane, he had to drive home.
8/31/13 12:50 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bendo goes for it. GSP is better but Bendo gives er more.
8/31/13 12:54 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - 
disbeliever - 

VTFU. Excellent post.

Agree as well. Same opinion the Gracie Breakdown guys seem to hold as well. They can acknowledge his conservative areas will still also showing his technical strengths and GSP almost always is passing or attepmting to pass within seconds of his tds. He just is not willing to put himself in risky situations which im getting tired of myself at this point but that does not make him a "LNPer."

8/31/13 1:28 PM
Silverball
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The difference between Henderson and GSP is that Henderson isn't that much better than most of the guys he's faced since becoming champ. It could be argued that Edgar should have won their second fight, maybe their first fight (I don't agree with this BTW), and the Melendez decision was yet another example of both fighters being so evenly matched that fans seemed split down the middle as to who should've won.

GSP has always seemed levels better than most of the guys he's faced, to the point that it appears he's capable of finishing most of his opponents, but chooses instead to play it safe. Up until the point that Condit kicked him in the head, how long had it been since GSP lost a round in a convincing manner?
8/31/13 3:18 PM
Doem
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it does look he tries to knock people out, but yet he has no finishes. its hard to reconcile those two things

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.