UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Duke Roufus: Bellator tapping out over Askren

8/30/13 12:37 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bellator chief Bjorn Rebney appears to be letting Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren simply walk away.

"I don't think we're going to make an offer at this point," said Rebney recently. "So I don't see any reason to make anybody sit out."

"If Ben's going to go to the UFC, we should speed up that process so he can go fight. I'd love to see Ben versus GSP."

"If the UFC does make an offer, we'll take a look at it and move on from there. We haven't been proactive yet. I have nothing but good things to say about Ben as a fighter, but we're all very aware of how he fights and what he does... It's not for everyone."

Rebney frankly described Bellator's welterweights as being short on wrestling, and long on striking, and attributed that to the Olympian's dominating success.

"Until the wrestling game evolves they're going to have big problems with a guy like Ben Askren," said Rebney. "He does what he does, takes them out of their environment, and that makes for incredibly lopsided fights."

Askren recently said that he thinks Redney's stance could be a negotiating tactic.

"Honestly, I think it could be a ploy on their part to get the UFC to make a lower offer, so when they go to match it's not as hard," said 'Funky'.

However, Asken's striking coach, Duke Roufus appeared recently on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour and said that he thinks Bellator is simply tapping out.

"I think it's pretty exciting for Ben to come over (to UFC)," said Roufus. "He's definitely going to go to the deep waters of UFC. We're going to see how well he's going to do in the UFC. I think it's not good for Bellator to say, 'Hey, let's let our champion go.' It helps Ben, but it hurts their organization in the long run. You have to value your champion. I'm not commenting negatively, I was at their last show with Ben, I thought they did a great job, but, how do you just let your champion go? You basically tapped out and said, 'We are second place to the UFC.'"

Listen to entire interview...
Transcription courtesy of MMAMania.

8/30/13 1:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wasssp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Askren's right. Duke Roufus is wrong. Bellator isn't tapping out. They're pulling a Matt Lindland (aka fake tapping). Otherwise why would Bjorn shit on Ben -"It's not for everyone"- before the UFC made an offer? Unless he hates Ben's guts so much that he'd rather the Askren family be poor than have the UFC -his company's primary rival/competitor- overpay for a fighter that won't bring them revenue and turn fans away.
8/30/13 1:40 AM
ruger007

Smart move.
8/30/13 2:04 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 08/30/13 2:06 AM

it's 2 things... first the hope that UFC comes in low and second, throw Askren under the buss incase he does end up in the UFC.

Bellator is in a tough spot because they dont want to lose another champion to the UFC but they also dont want to pay to have askren dry fucking their tournament winners for the next 4 years.

With Askren Bellator loses either way.  They lose if he goes to the UFC and they lose if he stays.

8/30/13 2:08 AM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 

it's 2 things... first the hope that UFC comes in low and second, throw Askren under the buss incase he does end up in the UFC.

Bellator is in a tough spot because they dont want to lose another champion to the UFC but they also dont want to pay to have askren dry fucking their tournament winners for the next 4 years.

With Askren Bellator loses either way.  They lose if he goes to the UFC and they lose if he stays.

This.  Excellent post.  VU

8/30/13 2:19 AM
xXJayRobXx
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't really want Ben in the ufc. ='( Phone Post 3.0
8/30/13 2:43 AM
wasssp

MMALOGIC - 

You're right. But Bellator could -and would probably- have had an exciting WW champ already if Bjorn had simply bent his own rules and allowed Jake Hieron an immediate rematch after he lost to Askren via shitty judging.
8/30/13 3:09 AM
Argo

Bjorn is waiting to see what the UFC offers. If really didn't plan to match ... Askren would have a paper in his hand stating that so he could just go sign elsewhere.

Question: How long does Ben have to wait so Bellator cannot match anymore?
8/30/13 7:28 AM
Oontyex
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

Great post, wonder what bellatorfan's twist on it is lol

I'm not really sure why the UFC would want Ben humping out contenders, seems like the same criticism of Fitch that got him cut quickly once he'd lost - which I didn't mind, would be great to see the UFC take a strong stand against point fighters Phone Post 3.0
8/30/13 9:45 AM
jimbonice

Personally, I enjoy Askren's fights. He's got one of the most active wrestling styles in the game, but for a promoter trying to build a fan base of casual fans, he's death to ratings. Smart move on Bjorn's part. Phone Post
8/30/13 9:51 AM
wasssp

Bellator Fan - IMO Askren isn't negotiating in good faith. Why should Bellator try to help Askren when he's only showing his desire not to be with them? Phone Post 3.0

Why should Riley Cooper refrain from using racist epithets? Black people aren't speaking highly of Riley and are, in fact, saying some really unkind things about him.
8/30/13 10:20 AM
AssassinsNATION
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's a catch 22, Bjorn tries to keep Askren he gets bad mouthed. He lets Ben have his wish and go fight for the UFC he gets criticism there. Phone Post 3.0
8/30/13 10:27 AM
rjhartman

First fight vs Koscheck. Make it happen UFC.
8/30/13 10:34 AM
Stephen Holder

Is it true that Bjorn Rebney is himself a lawyer?

If that's the case, then even besides being a selfish promoter, hes by definition extra grimy. Not a chance in hell this guy sits by and lets his champ go, especially considering how the EA situation went down.

Not only would that insult his org's cred. and as a promoter, hurt his ego (not to mention his bosses') but in terms of his integrity as a lawyer, that would sting.

Dana isn't dumb, I'm sure hes aware of what Bjorn is doing.
8/30/13 10:34 AM
Tombmatter

From organizational point of view, it's a win-win for Bellator.

Losing Askren does nothing for their status as the second big MMA player in US, as they still have way to go to catch UFC anyway, but there is also no one threatening their runner up position.

Either they get more exciting champ that might bring more revenue, or they will get Askren for cheap, which will cut the costs.
8/30/13 11:04 AM
tecknowledge

can we just find this dude a good coaching job?

dana please dont sign this dude.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.