UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What is Catch Wrestling?

9/1/13 1:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pattitude - 
Chris Leben is a Zombie - 
pattitude - Submission wrestling.
How does it, on a technical aspect differ from BJJ or Wrestling? Phone Post 3.0

It favours a top game because it focuses on first getting the takedown from the clinch and then maintaining position.

It also favours holds that focus on pain compliance rather than blood chokes.

A traditional wrestler would call it "dirty". Most of the moves are flat out illegal in traditional wrestling.

I trained with a guy for a few years who, for all intents and purposes, was a catch wrestler.

Dirty, mean and grinding.

Around here be careful saying things like this "I trained with a guy for a few years who, for all intents and purposes, was a catch wrestler" 

9/1/13 1:06 AM
pattitude
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol! No doubt! What I meant to say was he was just dirty. None of that Cecchine nonsense.
9/1/13 1:08 AM
UGCTT_Messiah
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Leben is a Zombie -
pattitude -

It favours a top game because it focuses on first getting the takedown from the clinch and then maintaining position.

A traditional wrestler would call it "dirty". Most of the moves are flat out illegal in traditional wrestling.

I trained with a guy for a few years who, for all intents and purposes, was a catch wrestler.

Vote up! Can you give an example of "pain compliance" Phone Post 3.0
Stuff like leg locks and armlocks, submissions that hurt. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 1:09 AM
DPASQ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pattitude -

Calf cutters, bicep cutters, neck cranks and twisting leg locks are favored. Lots of top-side control subs and lots of stuff from different angles. In BJJ we think position before submission as the doctrine and in catch wrestling it is all about slapping on the sub, sometimes giving up position in the pursuit of it.
9/1/13 1:11 AM
pattitude
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Examples of pain compliance would be:

calf crushers

short arm scissors

neck cranks

any technique that would go underneath/across the nose especially when you can't get a choke
9/1/13 1:14 AM
pattitude

Oh, and jaw cranks too. They suck! Very painful.
9/1/13 1:28 AM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Thanks guys!!! Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 1:39 AM
JRockwell
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget chin in eyeball. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 1:43 AM
pattitude

Yep. Had that done to me too!
9/1/13 1:44 AM
Dominique Robinson
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's from England actually not Japan Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 1:45 AM
pattitude

He was a badass sparring partner for sure.
9/1/13 1:46 AM
pattitude

Dominique Robinson - It's from England actually not Japan Phone Post 3.0

The Snake Pit. In Wiggan.
9/12/13 5:08 PM
e. kaye

DPASQ - 
pattitude -

Calf cutters, bicep cutters, neck cranks and twisting leg locks are favored. Lots of top-side control subs and lots of stuff from different angles. In BJJ we think position before submission as the doctrine and in catch wrestling it is all about slapping on the sub, sometimes giving up position in the pursuit of it.

Not exactly.   It is not about position, but is it about control.   YOu cannot get a hook (sub) without control.  

BBJ has very specific positions and a hierarchy to them.  A progression.

Catch is less structured and more reactive to what is going on.  Control whatever position you are in.

BJJ wants postion before submission. 

In Catch you very often wrestle into the hooks.

9/12/13 5:09 PM
e. kaye

pattitude - Lol! No doubt! What I meant to say was he was just dirty. None of that Cecchine nonsense.

What Cecchine nonesense?

Have you ever trained with Tony?

9/12/13 5:43 PM
Bobby Lupo
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe it's due to lack of qualified instructors, but I've seen a few submissions from catch wrestling work on the mat.....once. Something totally unexpected that you don't see in no gi BJJ like a leg kimura, or some kind of toe hold/ankle twist thing will catch even a good practitioner off guard....the first time he sees it.
9/12/13 5:53 PM
caseharts
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Its where I kiss you and you kiss me Phone Post
9/12/13 6:01 PM
XxFIST2FACExX
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CACC focus mainly on top control with most of of the subs being of Joint manipulation the match can also be stopped by a wrestling pin and consist of a best 2 out of 3 format basically the difference between CACC and Bjj is that bjj is an art form of technical subs with a gi and a lot of chokes and a lot of attacking off your back while CACC is more of a grinding top game with most attacking coming from the top and most of the bottom man trying to create scrambles and sweeps Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 6:17 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Full disclosure: I have no idea.

But . . . here's what appears to be a short, interesting article on the differences between CACC and "other" grappling styles: http://embodiedstrength.com/2011/10/13/catch_wrestling_san_diego/

9/12/13 6:21 PM
Happiness Bunny
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW - 
303 - Wrestling with submissions. Phone Post
Yeah, that. You can pin as well as submit so there is no guard work to speak of. Also no laying around in bottom side body. Shoe's are usually worn Phone Post

There is guard work for sure. Only for short periods of time for the most part, we tend to want to gain a dominant position so we try to get off the bottom. If we can catch a leg in an odd position we can usually turn it into a reversal and or submission.
9/12/13 6:27 PM
Happiness Bunny
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pattitude - 

You my frien hit it the nail on the head.

My coach calls is "scientific wrestling" and that is so true.. it also helps that he is a doctor so he knows anatomy on a high level so he shows us how to turn a certain way to make it not feel so nice for the other person..

Nasty.. nasty techniques =]

I only go once a week and I am usually sore until a few days before the next class. When I tried other grappling arts I could do it a 3-5 times a week no problem.. The next day after catch as catch can always sucks.
9/12/13 6:33 PM
Happiness Bunny

pattitude - Examples of pain compliance would be:

calf crushers

short arm scissors

neck cranks

any technique that would go underneath/across the nose especially when you can't get a choke

Short arm scissors is one of my favorite subs.

Inoki had it on Andre the giant in a pro wrestling match and a few times he really dug his wrist into Andre and you could tell he was in real pain and was pissed off at Inoki there after.
9/12/13 6:33 PM
ChipW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness Bunny -
ChipW - 
Yeah, that. You can pin as well as submit so there is no guard work to speak of. Also no laying around in bottom side body. Shoe's are usually worn Phone Post

There is guard work for sure. Only for short periods of time for the most part, we tend to want to gain a dominant position so we try to get off the bottom. If we can catch a leg in an odd position we can usually turn it into a reversal and or submission.
Do you guys not have a pin like in folkstyle wrestling? I was under the impression that you did. Phone Post
9/12/13 6:46 PM
Happiness Bunny

ChipW - 
Happiness Bunny -
ChipW - 

Do you guys not have a pin like in folkstyle wrestling? I was under the impression that you did. Phone Post

Not really, In sparring we don't unless specified.

Coach will let us know when we have the position to pin when demonstrating technique but the focus is getting the hook.

Since in most grappling tournaments pins are not recognized our focus shifts more to dominant position and submissions.
9/12/13 6:56 PM
e. kaye

Pins were part of a specific set of rules for matches a certain period of time.   Not all matches specified pins.

The combatants agreed on the rules.  Like boxing before the rules were consolidated.

You can certainly teach and learn CACC without ever getting into pins.  

For fighting, pins make no sense.

9/12/13 7:03 PM
Happiness Bunny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacqq_sFCBk

Any Billy Robinson video is great but I love his insight on the Gotch toe hold.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.