UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What is Catch Wrestling?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/12/13 7:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CiganoBoxer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone find it strange the UK ent better at wrestling , cause didn't catch sort of start of in the north of england ?
9/12/13 7:26 PM
narsil x anduril
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i do bjj, but i've learned some catch wrestling subs that i find on videos online and i'll throw them in when i can, just because they come from places people really aren't expecting. my favorite is the neck scissors from north/south while working from their kimura defense on top.
9/12/13 7:35 PM
Stonemann
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Basicly,

BJJ = More like Judo, use your opponents mistakes against them. Use little physical strength so as to conserve, wait for openings or force them when the time is right

Catch = (as stated before) Pain compliance. Use force to muscle, crank, and grind your way into position. Make things happen, dont wait for them to.
9/12/13 7:42 PM
scuffler

Gotch toe hold - Billy Robunson

9/12/13 7:45 PM
scuffler

Edited: 09/12/13 7:45 PM

Grovit - Billy Robinson

9/12/13 7:48 PM
scuffler

Double wrist lock - Billy Robinson

9/12/13 7:51 PM
scuffler

Shin locks - Billy Robinson

9/12/13 7:55 PM
scuffler

Billy Robinson coaching

9/12/13 7:59 PM
scuffler

Long  sit-out - Billy Robinson

9/12/13 8:00 PM
e. kaye

Stonemann - Basicly,

BJJ = More like Judo, use your opponents mistakes against them. Use little physical strength so as to conserve, wait for openings or force them when the time is right

Catch = (as stated before) Pain compliance. Use force to muscle, crank, and grind your way into position. Make things happen, dont wait for them to.

I have not met a BJJ guy yet that did not use a lot of strength.  One of the great myths.

Someone once said that BJJ is gentle and Catchwrestling is like a mugging.

9/12/13 8:02 PM
scuffler

Standing posture breaks - Billy Robinson

9/12/13 8:06 PM
scuffler

Escape - Billy Robinson

9/12/13 8:11 PM
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sambo and catch are the two arts I want to train in most, but there is nothing in colorado. Hopefully if I can get moved to san diego they will have it out there. I believe there will always be a place for bjj, and it is my first love, but I think catch and sambo will be the arts of the future and I'm would love to tdin them. Phone Post
9/12/13 8:19 PM
Il Duce
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's midget tossing in a ring. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 8:22 PM
Happiness Bunny
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread makes me happy =]
9/12/13 8:38 PM
ChipW
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

e. kaye -

Pins were part of a specific set of rules for matches a certain period of time.   Not all matches specified pins.

The combatants agreed on the rules.  Like boxing before the rules were consolidated.

You can certainly teach and learn CACC without ever getting into pins.  

For fighting, pins make no sense.

Oh ok, that makes sense.

I had read Lou theze's book and in one of the early chapters he talks about using the hook to get the pin. Different rule set than would be used today Phone Post
9/12/13 8:55 PM
MEOWticket
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
9/12/13 9:02 PM
Ninja mon

Man Billy Robinson is such a pioneer. He is so inspirational still training and teaching at his age with his cane. I love the pro wrestlers of his generation they were truly great submission wrestlers. He is such a freaking badass!
9/12/13 9:43 PM
dking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/12/13 10:12 PM
Happiness Bunny
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW - 
e. kaye -

Pins were part of a specific set of rules for matches a certain period of time.   Not all matches specified pins.

The combatants agreed on the rules.  Like boxing before the rules were consolidated.

You can certainly teach and learn CACC without ever getting into pins.  

For fighting, pins make no sense.

Oh ok, that makes sense.

I had read Lou theze's book and in one of the early chapters he talks about using the hook to get the pin. Different rule set than would be used today Phone Post

Great book.

Laying flat on your back was a sign that you were submissive and were at the mercy of your opponent. That's why there is such a emphasis on scrambling, bridging and reversals.. to not be on your back.

9/12/13 10:15 PM
brahmabull81
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/13 10:17 PM
EDIT: didnt realize there was more than one page. NVM
9/12/13 10:16 PM
Roy Batty
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Gotch leg lock makes me want to see some organization allow shoes again.
9/12/13 11:38 PM
leftlegtrumpcard
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to subscribe to this thread in order to improve my toolset for talking like a Badass. Phone Post
9/13/13 12:17 AM
aNutterFedorFan
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's Evil, Wicked, Mean and Nasty. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 1:24 AM
5 o clock shadow
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say that we are in a post-catch wrestling era. Some BJJ guys were influenced by the "Lost Art of Hooking" series, some developed analogous techniques on their own, etc. etc. That's not to say that old-schoolers like Billy Robinson or even the unfairly maligned Cecchine don't have anything to offer. It just means that BJJ has evolved.

Back in the day, the "proper" way to maintain side control in BJJ was to pin your knees and elbows on the mat next to your opponent's shoulders and hips. Thus, "catch" techniques, which relied on a flattened, legs extended, "pinning," side mount were incompatible with the BJJ side mount.

These days there are a bajillion variations to the side mount in BJJ, so it is no longer an issue of " incompatibility." Add to that BJJers independently developing techniques analogous to catch wrestling (short arm scissors), and you can see that modern BJJ is a hybrid that is still evolving.

fos

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.