UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mir, Barnett, White: Stoppage was early

9/1/13 9:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday night Josh Barnett defeated Frank Mir by Referee Stops Contest (Strikes, Round 1, 1:56). However, the stoppage by the highly-regarded Rob Hinds was controversial.

"F---ing ridiculous stoppage!!!!" tweeted UFC presiden Dana White immediately after the stoppage. "The guys with experience make mistakes. That guy had no business being in the Co Main event!"

Frank Mir too expressed similar sentiments at the post-fight press conference.

"Obviously I thought it was a bad stoppage," said Mir. "We're fighters. If every fight was stopped on any kind of a flash shot or anything like that — actually, I took the knee, and I remember going, 's--- I'm in a bad position.' And that's why I dropped my other knee out from underneath me so that could fall to the ground and make sure I didn't take a second one. I didn't belly out, I didn't flatten out, and I actually tried to redig my underhook so that i could get a single. And I actually looked at the referee stopping it.

"And then at first I thought, maybe I was out? Did I take a bunch of shots that didn't see? And then after watching it, I was conscious the whole time. Even when I stood up I wasn't wobbled, I was completely coherent. So at best your argument is it was a flash knock down. I didn't know fights stopped on that. If that was the case I never would have beaten [Antonio Rodrigo] Nogueira, I don't think we would have seen Travis Browne knock out [Alistair] Overeem last week. There are too many fights in our sport that are exciting, and you've got to let us fight. I didn't sign up for a tennis match. It's nothing against Josh, he's a great fighter and he did what he had to do."

"I think the fans got robbed. I got screwed over. The fact that I trained so hard for that fight to keep up a pace that I knew I could have driven hard through for three rounds. Say what you will about Jackson's camp and game planning, everybody comes in shape. I showed up in shape on the scale, I showed up in shape out there, with my motivation — it sucks to do everything right and just have the door shut on you."

Perhaps surprisingly Barnett too felt the stoppage was early.

"I actually do feel that it was an early stoppage," said The Warmaster. "I would always prefer to get the clean finish."

Read entire article...

What do you think UG? 

9/1/13 9:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OblongBox
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fight might have lasted another 4 seconds if not for that stoppage.
9/1/13 9:14 AM
Donkey Puncher
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes it was. Phone Post
9/1/13 9:22 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OblongBox - The fight might have lasted another 4 seconds if not for that stoppage.

Pretty much this.

I don't know how Mir can say that he dropped down as a tactical move. He went limp. Totally lifeless. It may only have been for a second, but he got dropped.

9/1/13 9:25 AM
Quadzilla7

Baby Faced Assassin beats Mur 10 out 10 times Phone Post
9/1/13 9:27 AM
kid chaos
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quadzilla7 - Baby Faced Assassin beats Mur 10 out 10 times Phone Post
After last night I agree.

As for the stoppage I think it was a good one. Mir went limp which justifies it. Think Dana just wanted the fight to go longer....as did everyone. Both guys went for it Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 9:29 AM
UFCJudgesRule
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When he collapsed it looked like both his arms when limp and his neck seemed unsupported too... Maybe it's just because of how quick he fell but I thought it was a flash KO Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 9:29 AM
BobSherob
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OblongBox - The fight might have lasted another 4 seconds if not for that stoppage.
This. There was no tactics in that. The knee dropped him and he was about to get caught in another strawberry patch. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 9:30 AM
ajsr
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"actually, I took the knee, and I remember going, 's--- I'm in a bad position.' And that's why I dropped my other knee out from underneath me so that could fall to the ground and make sure I didn't take a second one."

I can't believe this gem of a line hasn't gotten more attention!!

Frank must be the first fighter in history to intentionally drop out of consciousness to improve position lol
9/1/13 9:31 AM
FreakDaddy
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think it is an early stoppage when totally get hit in the face with a knew, go limp, and then then your carcass crashes to the mat.....Not sure how this is a bad stoppage at all....Next time don't eat a knee, don't go limp, and don't fall face first to the ground........Keep in mind I wanted Mir to smash Josh (who is one of my least favorite fighters ever)......Just being fair.........
9/1/13 9:31 AM
JunkieDog

That knee was harder than I thought. Murr was knocked into a whole other dimension. One where your entire body going limp and lifeless is a tactical move.

I guess I could understand if he'd been fighting a bear in the woods, as you are apparently supposed to play dead.

Unfortunately, they were in a cage and he was fighting a Warmaster. In THAT situation, going limp and lifeless gets the fight stopped.. you know, since you just got KTFO.

9/1/13 9:36 AM
JunkieDog

But, Murr makes a good point... the fight very well could/should have been stopped when Nog flash KO'd him. That he didn't was simply because the ref didn't see it. He should be thankful for that win not using it as some type of example of tactical game planning.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time in combat sport history a fighter has claimed getting flash KO'd was a tactical move!lol
9/1/13 9:37 AM
RJJH

NorthernIrishZombie - 
OblongBox - The fight might have lasted another 4 seconds if not for that stoppage.

Pretty much this.

I don't know how Mir can say that he dropped down as a tactical move. He went limp. Totally lifeless. It may only have been for a second, but he got dropped.

this exactly

9/1/13 9:43 AM
pillbottle

That was a flash KO if I've ever seen one, not sure what Dana is complaining about. Phone Post 3.0
ausgepicht

Mir's comment alone tells you that it WAS a good stoppage. He was trying to redig his underhook?!? No, dude...you were turtled. That gif is a shitty one, because it doesn't show Mir's headf flopping.

liquidrob
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajsr - "actually, I took the knee, and I remember going, 's--- I'm in a bad position.' And that's why I dropped my other knee out from underneath me so that could fall to the ground and make sure I didn't take a second one."

I can't believe this gem of a line hasn't gotten more attention!!

Frank must be the first fighter in history to intentionally drop out of consciousness to improve position lol

"Playing Dead" is some next level strategy, the refs are just not up on the new stuff

Rematch!
9/1/13 9:53 AM
MisterHawkeMMA

It was an early stoppage, and that's always bad. But I don't know if it'd of made a difference. That said, we've all seen plenty fights where it looked like the end was inevitable, and then the guy getting pounded on came back and won. And Mir has actually been in a few of those fights.

Imagine if when Nog dropped Mir, if instead of going for the choke, he cocked his arm back to punch him, so the ref stopped that fight without the follow-up ever actually even happening? That's basically what happened here.
9/1/13 9:56 AM
the_shrike
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir was out

stoppage was fine

cue the sound bite from Arnold: "Stop whining!"
9/1/13 9:56 AM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Lol Mir was done, the ref stopped him from taking any further damage Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 9:59 AM
Wriggling Grunion

Where was DFW's outrage after the Fedor/Hendo fight was stopped due to a flash KO?

Oh that's right, there wasn't any, as that suited his agenda.
9/1/13 10:05 AM
Stephen Holder

NorthernIrishZombie - 

Pretty much this.

Lol ok now I'm starting to lose respect for Mir. Monday morning quarterbacking is one thing but to watch the replay back in slowmo and say 'oh look I dropped intentionally as a strategic move to avoid getting hit' is an outright lie. He's not protecting himself as he's falling, which makes it really obvious that he was out n went limp. The ref did an excellent job preserving Mir's quality of life when he's in his 50s and beyond.
9/1/13 10:07 AM
caposa
1423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stoppage. Frank went out, even if for a couple seconds.

9/1/13 10:07 AM
ausgepicht

Stephen Holder - 
NorthernIrishZombie - 

Pretty much this.

Lol ok now I'm starting to lose respect for Mir. Monday morning quarterbacking is one thing but to watch the replay back in slowmo and say 'oh look I dropped intentionally as a strategic move to avoid getting hit' is an outright lie. He's not protecting himself as he's falling, which makes it really obvious that he was out n went limp. The ref did an excellent job preserving Mir's quality of life when he's in his 50s and beyond.

He was "redigging for the underhook"!!! HAHAHA!

9/1/13 10:08 AM
The Sultan
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know how much I believe "I was actually digging for an underhook" Phone Post
9/1/13 10:15 AM
ausgepicht

Edited: 09/01/13 10:21 AM

BLAF, Mir and the dishonest journalist that wrote the article should watch this GIF. You can see his head flopping. You can also see that he didn't go to his knees intentionally and he certainly wasn't digging for an underhook. He's being dishonest....because he's making these statements after he watched the replay.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.