UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pettis takes belt to father's grave

9/1/13 2:00 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

After defeating Benson Henderson and capturing the UFC lightweight championship in front of a hometown crowd in Milwaukee, Anthony Pettis drove to his father's grave site.

On Nov. 12, 2003 Anthony Pettis' father Eugene was murdered during a robbery at a friend's home.

At age 15, Pettis determined not to let the loss of his father ruin his life, but rather drive him to become the best martial artist he could be.

“That year, Thanksgiving and Christmas were the worst of my life,” Pettis told Kevin Iole in 2009. “Each year, it’s been better, because I’ve decided to keep his memory alive and push for this goal as a way to honor him. I can feel his presence there."

“He was the type who would never be satisfied. He always thought I could do better and should keep pushing. And so that’s how I’ve tried to be as a fighter. I don’t want to be a one-dimensional guy and be labeled. I want to be the best mixed martial artist I can possibly be. If I do that, I better honor him.”

“I go visit the grave and I tell him, ‘I’m doing this for you.' I’m not in there myself. I know he’s always with me and I want to make him proud of what I’ve done.”

Pettis' Instagram chronicles the evening.

No matter the circumstances, u can make a positive from any situation!!! Love u pops!

9/1/13 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shoulda done a background check on Chael
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis is out of a movie I swear. Speaks well, is very confident, not cocky. GREAT skills as a fighter.

Dude wins the belt, says his thanks, then how about this.....

You call out someone, who is  a CHAMPION!! You offer your belt or his. That is how it's done son!

Great submission victory for a bad ass striker.

9/1/13 2:09 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dust is flying Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 2:16 PM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
TTT.
9/1/13 2:16 PM
InTheWeedz

Just got choked up a bit. I NEVER been this happy for a fighter to win.. Congrats A.P. #1 Fricken Fan! Phone Post
9/1/13 2:18 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So unfotunate Pettis popped his knee. I would have loved to have seen him defend his title quickly. Phone Post
9/1/13 2:33 PM
DNAsmoothie
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augustus_Caesar_Showtime'd_My_Butthole - *golfclap* Phone Post
This seems appropriate. Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 2:35 PM
neonbelly
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Batman-style.
9/1/13 2:37 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This kid is going to get even better as he hones his skills. I see a GSP-like career in his future, minus a shit-load of decision wins.

9/1/13 2:39 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
922 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know how he feels. My mom died when I was 11 and when I brought my then 3month old son up to visit her burial site I finally felt closure

Good for Pettis he deserves every good thing in life he gets he worked his ass of for it Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 2:40 PM
buckanater

Definitely humble! I'm happy for him!!! Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 4:48 PM
Striken

Kids a class act.
9/1/13 7:10 PM
Thuglife13
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MyUnclesCreepy - I know how he feels. My mom died when I was 11 and when I brought my then 3month old son up to visit her burial site I finally felt closure

Good for Pettis he deserves every good thing in life he gets he worked his ass of for it Phone Post 3.0

I too know the feeling. I lost my dad around that age and just lost my mom. I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment Anthony felt at the grave of his father or the happiness you felt taking your son to your mom's burial site.

Anthony "Showtime" Pettis is truly one of the greatest...
9/1/13 9:50 PM
InTheWeedz

TTT Phone Post
9/2/13 8:17 PM
Mmanizzle

Edited: 09/02/13 8:20 PM
Pettis is a class act. Both Bendo and Pettis are warriors and to give each other so much respect outside of the ring is amazing to watch...
9/2/13 9:04 PM
BnewByou
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw this on the news site and figured there was a thread.

Good for him. I can't imagine the pain to be that age and have that happen but to use it for good and not let it destroy him is a testament to him and those close but. Phone Post
9/2/13 9:31 PM
MMALOGIC

Pettis will be the biggest LW UFC star ever... and maybe even the biggest american UFC star ever.

9/3/13 12:17 AM
Keithadamberrydotcom
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gives you chills.  Congrats Anto!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.