UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Oahu BJJ

9/1/13 7:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jspiceman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do the BJJ schools in Oahu compare to those on the mainland? I'm going there for a couple of months and it looks like several are associated with Gracie.
9/1/13 8:49 PM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hit up Mike and Tracey Fowler's spot North Shore Jiu Jitsu Club Phone Post 3.0
9/1/13 9:09 PM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^good call! Another great gym is Gracie Technics with Rylan Lizares. Egan Inoue and Burton Richardson are also people i would look up. There is ton of great jiu-jitsu in Hawaii! Phone Post 3.0
9/2/13 1:12 AM
stimbox

Team HK is another good place to check out.
http://teamhk.net/
9/2/13 1:55 AM
WillyMaunawili
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where you staying OP?

Traffic/commuting can SUCK at times. Phone Post 3.0
9/2/13 3:05 AM
lets get dangerous
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really does depend on where you are staying Phone Post
9/2/13 4:58 AM
Robobear
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP, what association do you train at now?  How do you roll ect.  We can direct you to a school you will enjoy.  Also what are the dates.

9/2/13 2:25 PM
Jspiceman

I will be staying in the waikiki area. Fowler's would be too much of a drive for regular training. I'm surprised anyone would have enough students in the North Shore area to open a successful gym.
9/2/13 7:11 PM
Robobear
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The closest to Waikiki is Ronn Shiraki(Relson)'On Kapahulu ave or Team HK On King st. And University ave.  you also got  Brazillian freestyle at UH, Egan Inouye in Manoa near UH and a Gracie Barra school near there as well.

9/2/13 8:45 PM
fozzit

BJ PENN/UFC GYM which has JD Penn and Leandro Nyza as the BJJ instructors!
http://www.ufcgym.com/honolulu/programming/#class_schedules/ultimate_classes

9/3/13 6:04 AM
Robobear

fozzit - BJ PENN/UFC GYM which has JD Penn and Leandro Nyza as the BJJ instructors!
http://www.ufcgym.com/honolulu/programming/#class_schedules/ultimate_classes

My bad, forgot about UFC gym.  Leandro Nyza is a class act and of course so is JD. Plus there are a lot of other classes there at UFC also, plus a fully operational gym.

9/3/13 11:26 AM
The Professional
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 for Ronn Shiraki's on Kapahulu. If you're near Hawaii Kai, hit me up. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 5:19 PM
The Mat Pimp
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GM Relson Gracie will be teaching a seminar here on Thursday at 11:30 AM:

http://relsongraciewaterfrontjiujitsu.com/
9/6/13 6:05 PM
Mike Fowler
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol...at not enough students on north shore....you are more than welcome to come check us out. and trust me...if you ever been to north shore...theres more than 10 peeps up here. not to mention i have families form mililani, hawaii kai, kailua, all over the island to train. a little extra drive is ok as long as getting good training!
9/6/13 7:24 PM
Robobear

Mike Fowler - lol...at not enough students on north shore....you are more than welcome to come check us out. and trust me...if you ever been to north shore...theres more than 10 peeps up here. not to mention i have families form mililani, hawaii kai, kailua, all over the island to train. a little extra drive is ok as long as getting good training!

I know a few families that train at North Shore and have nothing but great things to say about Mike and Tracy. Definitely worth the drive.

9/7/13 11:23 AM
stimbox

Doesn't look like Ronn Shiraki's allows drop-ins. The website says no walk-ins.
9/7/13 1:42 PM
meatrokket
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie Technics is 10-15 minutes out of Waikiki. We have Day passes, 2 week passes and month passes.

Gracietechnics.com will have class schedule and pricing. Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 4:27 PM
StrictScrutiny
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stimbox - Doesn't look like Ronn Shiraki's allows drop-ins. The website says no walk-ins.

That's not correct. Just call Ronn ahead of time to get the ok.
9/8/13 12:48 AM
stimbox

StrictScrutiny - 
stimbox - Doesn't look like Ronn Shiraki's allows drop-ins. The website says no walk-ins.

That's not correct. Just call Ronn ahead of time to get the ok.

Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.