UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How would Mayweather have fared in the 80's?

9/3/13 10:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was some SERIOUSLY TOUGH competition back then..

Hearns
Leonard
Pryor
Duran
Curry
Taylor
Chavez
Whittaker

How would Floyd have fared back in that era between LW & WW?
9/3/13 11:00 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum

He'd probably outpoint them all.
9/3/13 11:20 AM
smags
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - He'd probably outpoint them all.
This.

In that company i can't see a stoppage, but floyd is technical as technical gets. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 11:23 AM
Ramon Maroni

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - He'd probably outpoint them all.

yep, u cant teach speed, even though Leonard, Whittaker were very fast I think PBF speed is on another level
9/3/13 12:51 PM
Tilla

So Hearns doesn't stop or beat Floyd?

That's a nightmare match up for him right there!

Pryor would give him fits, too.
9/3/13 1:02 PM
ShamusO'nyou
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would pick him over Curry.

9/3/13 1:44 PM
Johnny D
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - There was some SERIOUSLY TOUGH competition back then..

Hearns
Leonard
Pryor
Duran
Curry
Taylor
Chavez
Whittaker

How would Floyd have fared back in that era between LW & WW?
I would pick Mayweather over Curry, Taylor and Leonard because of Mayweather's better defense. The others would be interesting, very interesting and Whittaker would be the only one I would put my money on to best him, Whittaker is the better version of Floyd's boxing skills, if there ever was such a thing. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 1:54 PM
J2C1
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm so glad op included the Hawk on his list. Alexis Arguello (RIP) had a similar aura as Floyd when he fought Pryor and we saw what happened in those fights. Pryors legacy is forever tainted by his association with Panama Lewis I'm afraid. I also think SRL would give Floyd trouble. Phone Post
9/3/13 1:57 PM
donkypunch55
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Marvin Haggler on that list?! Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 1:58 PM
Authority Figure

Whitaker would happen. Phone Post
9/3/13 2:00 PM
J2C1
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oops I forgot to slmention Sweetpea would too. Chavez is one of the best ever but we all know how Floyd fares against prototypical Mexican brawlers. The Mayweather family seems to have that part down. Phone Post
9/3/13 2:03 PM
J2C1

Good post Johnny D. Whitacker reminds me so much of Floyd and it would be an interesting matchup to say the least. Phone Post
9/3/13 2:11 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

J2C1 - Good post Johnny D. Whitacker reminds me so much of Floyd and it would be an interesting matchup to say the least. Phone Post
Floyd reminds you of Whittaker, you mean? Phone Post
9/3/13 2:14 PM
Haulport

Floyd loses handily, imo, to everyone except Curry, Taylor and Whittaker and he could easily lose to Taylor and Whittaker too.

Floyd is a lot of hype in a bullshit era where he isn't even fighting the best in his division...
9/3/13 2:28 PM
Newaza freak
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tito Trinidad could have given him hell. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 2:29 PM
Newaza freak
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

De La Hoya in his prime would have beaten him. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 2:33 PM
Newaza freak

His most spectacular kos have been over Hatton and Corrales and I just can't see any of those 2 ever beating anyone from the 80s. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 2:36 PM
Newaza freak

Even underdog Edwin Rosario has a better punchers chance than alot of the guys Floyd has beaten. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 2:52 PM
soonertodd
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

donkypunch55 - No Marvin Haggler on that list?! Phone Post 3.0

This! Hagler would have to chase him down though,I don't see him beating Hearns,Leonard,Duran,Pryor either.
9/3/13 3:31 PM
Johnny D
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J2C1 - Good post Johnny D. Whitacker reminds me so much of Floyd and it would be an interesting matchup to say the least. Phone Post
I would kill to see it, I can't think of two better examples of pure "text book" boxing during my lifetime, maybe all time. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 3:40 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

He'd beat every single one of them Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 5:09 PM
J2C1

Yep...That's what I meant Phone Post
9/3/13 5:47 PM
PrettyBoy
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - Whitaker would happen. Phone Post
Would be the best defensive fight of all time. Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 5:54 PM
chadk
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hearns beats FMJ easiest out of all due to styles. No one EVER outboxed Hearns. You could out fight him but not outbox him. Leonard, Benitez, hell old Tommy even outboxed a much younger & bigger Lt. Heavyweight Champion in Virgil Hill. Just as fast as Floyd, taller, punishing jab and too much power. Floyd's never shown that he'd bite down hard on his mouthpiece and go to war. And, he can't outbox him from range either.

Leonard wins too. Benitez was every good a counter puncher and had more pop too. Ray beat him. Sugar via being far more versatile and more warrior spirit.

Taylor's too sloppy and wide open. If Chavez busted him up with counters, Floyd sharpshoots him mercilessly.

Donald Curry liked to look over his punches too often and kept his head too high. McCallum caught it and Floyd would too. Floyd by decision.

Floyd lacked the work rate or punching power to dissuade a prime Duran (135lbs) or Pryor (140lbs) and he doesn't move his feet enough to outrun them all night. Both pound away at his body, shoulders & arms and win decisions.

Chavez that beat Taylor at 140lbs is busier, heavier handed and walks through Floyd's fragile handed, low output offense to win.

Whitaker vs Floyd is the bout I'd pay NOT to watch lol. However, Pernell being a southpaw and showing the ability to go offensive when he had to leads me to pick him by UD. Phone Post
9/3/13 6:40 PM
Chappie
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd is great in this era, but he would be very, very lucky to win 50% of his fights against that group. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.