UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How would Mayweather have fared in the 80's?

9/3/13 6:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chappie -  Floyd is great in this era, but he would be very, very lucky to win 50% of his fights against that group. Phone Post

Spot on Chappie. Also you guys saying Hagler, He was a career middleweight, I know floyd has bounced up there but the rest of the list are true WW's. Floyd isn't even a true WW, he should be fighting at 140 if there was stiff enough competition to stay at that weight.

Floyd against Sugar Ray would go down IMO a lot like the Roy Jones vs James Toney fight. A dynamic offense vs the shoulder roll defense. Toney was overmatched.

The crop of talent in the 80's was so deep that it is tough to compare it to any generation, and recognize just how special it was.
9/3/13 6:59 PM
MMA Playwright
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - There was some SERIOUSLY TOUGH competition back then..

Hearns
Leonard
Pryor
Duran
Curry
Taylor
Chavez
Whittaker

How would Floyd have fared back in that era between LW & WW?

Hearns vs. PBF ---- Hearns

Leonard vs. PBF --- Leonard

Pryor vs. PBF ----- PBF

Duran vs. PBF ---- If they fought at lightweight in their primes, I'll take Duran

Curry vs. PBF ---- PBF wins 7/10 times

Taylor vs. PBF ---- PBF

Chavez vs. PBF --- PBF

Whitaker vs. PBF --- Toss up

In my opinion, Leonard has the most success against Pretty Boy Floyd in terms of who matches up best with him.
9/3/13 7:22 PM
Bobby Lupo
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pryor, Hearns, Chavez and Duran come right at Floyd. Floyd would outpoint Chavez and Pryor, but I'd take Hearns and Duran over Mayweather. They might even stop him.

Sugar Ray would dominate. Much faster, much better offense, hit much harder. Wins 12 of 15 rounds

Whitaker-Mayweather could be the best or worst fight ever.

Oscar and Hagler at their peak slaughter Floyd. Old Oscar practically beat him.

140 Cotto might be more of a problem to some of those guys than Floyd
9/3/13 7:24 PM
CRE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd would have lost to a couple of those guys most likely.

The competition back then was very stiff, I have a hard time visualizing him beating all of those guys.

I am an OG Floyd fan too.

I guess he could beat them all potentially, it just doesn't seem likely, like one of those guys would clip him.
9/3/13 7:27 PM
CRE

Hearns most likely stops Floyd prime vs. prime, too much lank, it would be like Jones/Shogun probably, just a vicious beating.

Hearns was a horrible drag racer though, no idea how many cars he destroyed before my eyes with poor mechanics and shitty driving, my pops shit on him in drag racing big time.
9/3/13 7:38 PM
kingkoopa

What about Haggler Phone Post
9/3/13 7:41 PM
Kentpaul
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Thomas Hearns that beat Duran would fuck him up
9/3/13 7:47 PM
flyingtoehold
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chavez would of murdered PBF!!

Chin= Chavez
Power= Chavez
Cardio= Chavez
Heart=Chavez

Speed =PBF not enough Phone Post
9/3/13 7:58 PM
GC111

There tends to be a lot of bias in these comparisons. Those who followed boxing in the 80s would prefer them over the present day. If Floyd did not fight De La Hoya, Mosley and Cotto people on here would be bragging about how they would crush Floyd.
9/3/13 8:19 PM
chadk
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GC111 - There tends to be a lot of bias in these comparisons. Those who followed boxing in the 80s would prefer them over the present day. If Floyd did not fight De La Hoya, Mosley and Cotto people on here would be bragging about how they would crush Floyd.
Actually, most of the posts I saw concerning Floyd vs Cotto and Mosely had Mayweather winning. And as I remember, the FMJ vs ODLH picks were pretty even, with the more knowledgeable boxing fans leaning towards Floyd.

Also, the truth is that Floyd fought all 3 of them when they were past their primes. Blame that on whatever or whoever you like but facts are facts.

So, let's not act like its purely anti-Floyd bias causing us to pick some of the most esteemed legends in the sport in a mythical matchup at each man's peak. Phone Post
9/3/13 8:27 PM
chadk
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a 3 year stretch Ray Leonard fought Benitez, Duran, Ayule & Hearns who had like 177 wins and only 1 single loss combined between them. Show me anything approaching that on Floyd's resume. Phone Post
9/3/13 9:16 PM
BuddyRevell
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd would not be undefeated against that murderer's row.

9/3/13 9:18 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, janitor

flyingtoehold, check your PMs.

9/4/13 12:17 AM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GC111 - There tends to be a lot of bias in these comparisons. Those who followed boxing in the 80s would prefer them over the present day. If Floyd did not fight De La Hoya, Mosley and Cotto people on here would be bragging about how they would crush Floyd.
I was thinking the same thing and I am a huge fan from the 80's. One just needs to watch a fight like Whittaker vs Chavez to see how some of these fights "might" have went. Although Chavez got the decision nobody in their right mind thought he came close to winning that fight, he was thoroughly out boxed. Regardless of what you think about today's boxing era vs the 80's or any other Floyd has sick boxing skills. Matching up Floyd with the names on that list would no doubt be interesting, he would no doubt win some, I think it's also safe to say he would probably lose some, all I can say for sure is I would lay down my money in a heart beat to see them vs Floyd. That era was no doubt insanely tough. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 1:42 AM
J2C1
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't Chavez Whitaker a draw Johnny? Whitacker got robbed either way... should've won Phone Post
9/4/13 1:48 AM
jason73
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

floyd would duck haggler
9/4/13 4:09 AM
Ninja mon

I think Duran, Hearns, Hagler Sugar Ray, and others were better fighters and tough as nails!
9/4/13 5:09 AM
Tilla

@ chad - You know your Boxing, dude. I like that. ;-)

And there's two reasons why I never put Marvin on that list...

1) Floyd wouldn't have gone anywhere near him
2) I wanted to keep the list strictly under 154. Bouncing around 135-147. ;-)

Boxing back then was awesome.
9/4/13 5:23 AM
dubate
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - In a 3 year stretch Ray Leonard fought Benitez, Duran, Ayule & Hearns who had like 177 wins and only 1 single loss combined between them. Show me anything approaching that on Floyd's resume. Phone Post
The most important point is that these fights would be going 15 rounds. PBF has amazing defense and very fast hands. Sugar Ray was faster and actually hit with power. Over 15 rds I will always put money on the offensive fighter who has power, its just too difficult to play defense correctly for that long of a fight. Phone Post
9/4/13 5:27 AM
Tilla

I think that if Floyd was around back then, his 'Vacations' wouldn't have really had an impact when it comes to the decline of the fighters, as there was that many of them!
9/4/13 7:10 AM
Bobby Lupo
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chavez beat up 95 Tiajuana taxi drivers and got a win over Meldrick despite losing 9 rounds due to Richard "The Cecil Peeples of Boxing" Steele
9/4/13 7:23 AM
Tilla

I always thought that Floyd would have got beaten by Tszyu.

That would have been a true superfight.
9/4/13 7:37 AM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J2C1 - Wasn't Chavez Whitaker a draw Johnny? Whitacker got robbed either way... should've won Phone Post
You're right, it was a majority draw, I don't know why I was thinking Chavez got the decision, probably because all the magazine covers at the time said "robbed" on the cover. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 7:41 AM
keiths
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

agreed that it wouldnt take those guys, De La Hoya would have beat him in his prime. Floyd did not beat him convincingly when he was a shell
9/4/13 7:43 AM
Tilla

I need to rewatch the Oscar/Floyd fight.

Haven't seen it in years.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.