UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How would Mayweather have fared in the 80's?

9/4/13 8:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
soonertodd
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - @ chad - You know your Boxing, dude. I like that. ;-)

And there's two reasons why I never put Marvin on that list...

1) Floyd wouldn't have gone anywhere near him
2) I wanted to keep the list strictly under 154. Bouncing around 135-147. ;-)

Boxing back then was awesome.

You're right,good point. Marvin was a machine,and even Leonard knew to run from him their whole fight.Hearns fought him and got brutally KO'd.

I think Leonard wins a decision against Floyd,maybe put him down late in the fight. I think Hearns and Duran both could KO him early,if not win decisions.
9/4/13 9:16 AM
Newaza freak
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The truth is that Floyd dissrespects all of those fighters from the 80s by constantly telling anyone that cares to listen that he is better than them.

Fighters of the 80s never had to dissrespect anyone..leanard always respected sugar ray Robinson ,even thou he stole his name. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 9:38 AM
morotetsuke
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet pea v money may is a dream match up....

pea dismantled roger...
9/4/13 9:40 AM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keiths - agreed that it wouldnt take those guys, De La Hoya would have beat him in his prime. Floyd did not beat him convincingly when he was a shell
I hear what you're saying but at the same time it's common knowledge when Floyd left his father behind he also left behind the brains that made him so consistently great defensively, floyd became more of a fighter and not so much the pure boxer when his dad was with him. Now that he has his dad back in his corner we are seeing the same thing that made him so great in the beginning, a no compromise defensive boxer that really can do it better than anyone today. Floyd's dad was always the brains behind his defensive skills and is the boxer he is because of him. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 9:45 AM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Newaza freak - The truth is that Floyd dissrespects all of those fighters from the 80s by constantly telling anyone that cares to listen that he is better than them.

Fighters of the 80s never had to dissrespect anyone..leanard always respected sugar ray Robinson ,even thou he stole his name. Phone Post 3.0
Floyd is a strange person, I have met him and he is a very nice and different person away from the spot light. But Floyd "money" Mayweather his boxing persona is a real ass, its just a show don't let it get your panties in a bunch, he no doubt knows this and is comfortable playing that role because he's knows it sells. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 9:45 AM
diaz 125
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 9:45 AM
he would duck have of them during their primes and fight them when they're old at their wrong weight.
9/4/13 10:17 AM
chadk
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - Chavez beat up 95 Tiajuana taxi drivers and got a win over Meldrick despite losing 9 rounds due to Richard "The Cecil Peeples of Boxing" Steele
Lupo, I repectfully disagree. That fight was far closer than the screeching Jim Lampley's cheerleading led most of the audience to believe. Just a quick look at Meldrick's face, and an inventory of his severe injuries received in the bout, let alone the fact that he was NEVER physically the same afterwards, shows how much damage Chavez was inflicting. I've got zero problem with anyone thinking Taylor was winning but let's not blow off all of the significant damage Chavez was doing to Taylor, nor the shell that he left him. And, it wasn't just him. Many of Chavez's opponents were never the same after taking prolonged beatings from him. And, finally, Chavez did stay busy and fought a lot of no names but he has a lot of wins over really good fighters on his resume too. Including uncle Roger Mayweather. Phone Post
9/4/13 10:34 AM
Bobby Lupo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - I always thought that Floyd would have got beaten by Tszyu.

That would have been a true superfight.

I agree. First time you've shown that you might know WTF you're talking about.

Zab Judah at his best, could have beaten Floyd. He fared better against him than anyone besides Castillo.

9/4/13 10:40 AM
Johnny D

chadk -
Bobby Lupo - Chavez beat up 95 Tiajuana taxi drivers and got a win over Meldrick despite losing 9 rounds due to Richard "The Cecil Peeples of Boxing" Steele
Lupo, I repectfully disagree. That fight was far closer than the screeching Jim Lampley's cheerleading led most of the audience to believe. Just a quick look at Meldrick's face, and an inventory of his severe injuries received in the bout, let alone the fact that he was NEVER physically the same afterwards, shows how much damage Chavez was inflicting. I've got zero problem with anyone thinking Taylor was winning but let's not blow off all of the significant damage Chavez was doing to Taylor, nor the shell that he left him. And, it wasn't just him. Many of Chavez's opponents were never the same after taking prolonged beatings from him. And, finally, Chavez did stay busy and fought a lot of no names but he has a lot of wins over really good fighters on his resume too. Including uncle Roger Mayweather. Phone Post
Couldn't say it better myself, Chavez was as tough as they come and while Taylor was probably going to win he took a devastating amount of damage in that fight and was never the same after.

That fight was an example of why I always favored 15 rounds over 12, when you take away the championship rounds then true champions really don't stand out as much, Taylor never would have made it to 15. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 11:24 AM
chadk
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - 

Zab Judah at his best, could have beaten Floyd. He fared better against him than anyone besides Castillo.

Tszyu is an interesting fight. He wasn't a conventionally solid boxer but he had great timing (as evidenced in the Judah bout) and good power in either hand. Hard to envision him and Floyd being too exciting because I think both would try to get the other to commit so they could counter. Given Floyd's better fundamentals, I think he'd give Kostya fewer openings, sets him up with feints and counters Tszyu until he gets frustrated and Floyd wins a boring decision. One thing I do question about Kostya was his heart in a tough fight. He quit against Hatton and I also found it telling that he NEVER asked for a rematch against Phillips either.
9/4/13 2:07 PM
Tilla

Bobby Lupo - 

Hahaha.

Zab had all the tools to beat Floyd. I agree that on his best day he'd have beaten Floyd.
9/4/13 2:20 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - There was some SERIOUSLY TOUGH competition back then..

Hearns
Leonard
Pryor
Duran
Curry
Taylor
Chavez
Whittaker

How would Floyd have fared back in that era between LW & WW?
Floyd is a great fighter, and it would've been amazing to see him perform during what was a golden era for boxing. Unfortunately, Mayweather's level competition hasn't been at the same level as it was for most of the fighters listed. That level of competition stuff matters. He would suffer some losses for sure. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 2:52 PM
soonertodd
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - Chavez beat up 95 Tiajuana taxi drivers and got a win over Meldrick despite losing 9 rounds due to Richard "The Cecil Peeples of Boxing" Steele

I don't think you can blame Steele for stopping the fight,was a shame though to happen in the last 10 seconds of the fight. Taylor got caught and was done
9/4/13 3:07 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - 

Judah is a 5 rounds fighter though.

9/4/13 5:17 PM
Dominique Robinson
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexanderTheGOAT - He'd beat every single one of them Phone Post 3.0
Your insane Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 5:23 PM
graciesrule
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd would beat everyone but Duran, Leonard and Hearns. Duran vs Floyd at lightweight would have been incredible, most regard Duran as the greatest lightweight. Leonard has faster hands but Floyd better defense. Hearns would be difficult because of the reach and the hardest right cross pound for pound ever, but Hearns chin is suspect as well as his conditioning.
9/4/13 6:28 PM
chadk

graciesrule - Floyd would beat everyone but Duran, Leonard and Hearns. Duran vs Floyd at lightweight would have been incredible, most regard Duran as the greatest lightweight. Leonard has faster hands but Floyd better defense. Hearns would be difficult because of the reach and the hardest right cross pound for pound ever, but Hearns chin is suspect as well as his conditioning.
Hearns wind was fine as long as he boxed. It was when you made him FIGHT that he'd fade. Can you honestly see Floyd making a dogfight of it against Hearns? That's the only chance he'd have and that's not in his makeup. Phone Post
9/4/13 6:32 PM
voorhees

Floyd would have lost to Kostya Tszyu.
9/4/13 6:41 PM
dubate
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

graciesrule - Floyd would beat everyone but Duran, Leonard and Hearns. Duran vs Floyd at lightweight would have been incredible, most regard Duran as the greatest lightweight. Leonard has faster hands but Floyd better defense. Hearns would be difficult because of the reach and the hardest right cross pound for pound ever, but Hearns chin is suspect as well as his conditioning.
So long story short, Floyd is middle of the pack when talking about the all time greats in his division? I have no argument with that. The top 3 or 4 smoke him and rest of the top 10 would be amazing fights. Phone Post
9/4/13 7:44 PM
tbi0904
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's no version of Judah that would ever be able to beat Floyd. You guys are crazy. Duran and Chavez would've punished whatever piece of Floyd they could hit for 15 grueling rounds. 135 lb. Oscar/ Floyd would be interesting. Oscar at LW (while a very short visit) was a beast. Phone Post
9/4/13 7:54 PM
MMAtador

Tilla - There was some SERIOUSLY TOUGH competition back then..

Hearns
Leonard
Pryor
Duran
Curry
Taylor
Chavez
Whittaker

How would Floyd have fared back in that era between LW & WW?
Somehow Floyd would have found a way to dodge everyone on that list and still call himself the best ever. Phone Post
9/5/13 5:05 AM
Tilla

Hahahahaha.
9/5/13 10:39 PM
Authority Figure

Jackson_Junior - 
Haulport - Floyd loses handily, imo, to everyone except Curry, Taylor and Whittaker and he could easily lose to Taylor and Whittaker too.

Floyd is a lot of hype in a bullshit era where he isn't even fighting the best in his division...
Sorry he didn't fight that filipino guy who got knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez Phone Post 3.0

9/5/13 11:08 PM
voorhees

Ya know the only two guys Floyd really should have fought but didnt are Tszyu and Paccquiao.

He gets too much of a bad rap about "not fighting people"
9/5/13 11:11 PM
I LOVE GSP

smashed.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.