UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How would Mayweather have fared in the 80's?

9/6/13 7:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thewash
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Problem is...everyone that was meant to trouble pbf has been schooled....and the truth is...as time goes by, training improves, skills improve etc...he is a dick but probably the GOAT...and will remain that way until someone beats him...I keep copying his left shoulder defence too and it needs real skill to slip and counter like he does Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 7:57 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewash - Problem is...everyone that was meant to trouble pbf has been schooled....and the truth is...as time goes by, training improves, skills improve etc...he is a dick but probably the GOAT...and will remain that way until someone beats him...I keep copying his left shoulder defence too and it needs real skill to slip and counter like he does Phone Post 3.0
Yep ^^^ I've seen two fighters spar that left me in awe, Pernell Whitaker and Floyd Mayweather, and for the better half of my life I lived seven or so miles from the original Kronk gym, I've seen a lot of boxers. Floyd was amazing, Whitaker was unreal. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 8:09 PM
thewash
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That left shoulder defence and counter would be too much for anyone...the only one with a chance is SRL and he won't be as quick Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 8:11 PM
thewash

I will put it out there that SRL apart (god) Hatton would beat all of them too Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 8:16 PM
thewash

Johnny D -
thewash - Problem is...everyone that was meant to trouble pbf has been schooled....and the truth is...as time goes by, training improves, skills improve etc...he is a dick but probably the GOAT...and will remain that way until someone beats him...I keep copying his left shoulder defence too and it needs real skill to slip and counter like he does Phone Post 3.0
Yep ^^^ I've seen two fighters spar that left me in awe, Pernell Whitaker and Floyd Mayweather, and for the better half of my life I lived seven or so miles from the original Kronk gym, I've seen a lot of boxers. Floyd was amazing, Whitaker was unreal. Phone Post 3.0
Jealous btw Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 8:25 PM
chadk
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ training & skills improving. In your wildest dreams, can you imagine a nearly 40 former Middleweight moving up to Heavyweight and whipping Ali, Frazier or Foreman? Because an old school trained James Toney (who turned pro at 154lbs) did just the equivalent of that a few years ago.

Ask Freddie Roach if he believes he's HALF the trainer Eddie Futch was. Who out there now compares to Georgie Benton or Ray Arcel? Does Teddy Atlas or Kevin Rooney match up with Cus? And consider that Cus was considered a bit of a kook in his day.

Diet & Nutrition have seen advances but we have maybe 20% of the pro boxers we had 40 years ago. Nor is our amateur pool even a fraction of what it once was. No way a limited guy like Zab Judah wins multiple titles in boxing's heyday. These guys today have the same physical talents but they've not lived through the same hard times, nor have they fought their way through the same shark infested waters of the ammies or faced anywhere near the level of competition as an up and coming pro. Phone Post
9/6/13 9:12 PM
thewash

chadk -
Lol @ training & skills improving. In your wildest dreams, can you imagine a nearly 40 former Middleweight moving up to Heavyweight and whipping Ali, Frazier or Foreman? Because an old school trained James Toney (who turned pro at 154lbs) did just the equivalent of that a few years ago.

Ask Freddie Roach if he believes he's HALF the trainer Eddie Futch was. Who out there now compares to Georgie Benton or Ray Arcel? Does Teddy Atlas or Kevin Rooney match up with Cus? And consider that Cus was considered a bit of a kook in his day.

Diet & Nutrition have seen advances but we have maybe 20% of the pro boxers we had 40 years ago. Nor is our amateur pool even a fraction of what it once was. No way a limited guy like Zab Judah wins multiple titles in boxing's heyday. These guys today have the same physical talents but they've not lived through the same hard times, nor have they fought their way through the same shark infested waters of the ammies or faced anywhere near the level of competition as an up and coming pro. Phone Post
Well thought out and partly true...but a bit nostalgic...I have traned amateur for 10 years and the evolution has been epic...no disrespect to the old school or anyone, but good trainers have evolved Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 9:20 PM
dubate
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk -

At the end of the day Leonard outworks Floyd, Duran walks him down and probably KO's him, Hearns shows him what it feels like to get hit with a real jab en route to a win, prime Oscar decisions him, and finally Pryor & Whitaker are both toss ups. I think Mayweather does well against the rest of the list which puts him somewhere in the bottom half of the top 10. Phone Post
9/6/13 9:23 PM
dubate
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewash -
chadk -

Well thought out and partly true...but a bit nostalgic...I have traned amateur for 10 years and the evolution has been epic...no disrespect to the old school or anyone, but good trainers have evolved Phone Post 3.0
Of course it is nostalgic, he is referencing boxing 30 years ago. You said you have "traned" for 10 years so are you talking about the evolution since 2003? Phone Post
9/6/13 9:40 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewash -
Johnny D -
Jealous btw Phone Post 3.0
Just an FYI, I got the chance to watch Pernell train in Virginia, I spent about 3 years in the Virginia Beach area in the mid 80's, if Whitaker was ever at Kronk I have no knowledge of it. I also seen a couple of Pernell's fights in Virginia. Mayweather being from Michigan is a no brainer. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 10:28 PM
chadk
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewash - I will put it out there that SRL apart (god) Hatton would beat all of them too Phone Post 3.0
Lololol... Phone Post
9/6/13 10:36 PM
chadk

Tilla - @ chad - I usually vote down the trolls, but I had to vote you up as you know what you're talking about (which is a rarity on here these days). ;-)
Thanks for the vote up. Phone Post
9/6/13 10:55 PM
chadk

Read some outside the ring Duran stories from some of his friends, training partners, cornermen, etc.. He was (is) a true one of a kind. He'd bought himself a small plane and flew it around Panama despite not being licensed. Plane goes down in the ocean miles from shore and Duran thinks: "This is it." As the plane fills with water, he changes his mind. Tells himself: "I'm Duran. I'm the Champion and can't die like this!" and swims to shore. Shortly after Duran beats Davey Moore he and Ray Arcel (I think) are leaving Gleason's just as then up and coming Jr. Middle Tony Ayala is walking up to the door with Lou Duva. Duva and Ray talk for a good ten minutes while Tony and Roberto stand about 3' apart and stare silently at each other. Neither one blinked nor said a word the whole time. Other witnesses said it was the most intense staredown they'd ever seen. Phone Post
9/7/13 1:13 AM
Unseen
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/07/13 1:13 AM

Off topic, but I always liked Julian Jackson

9/7/13 5:35 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewash - I will put it out there that SRL apart (god) Hatton would beat all of them too Phone Post 3.0

Hatton beats Hearns?

Hatton had his hands full with Urango, got bearly killed by Manny and ducked Witter.
9/7/13 5:39 AM
Tilla

Unseen - 

Off topic, but I always liked Julian Jackson

He was a monster.

Unreal power.

Nigel Benn, G-Man & Nunn were awesome to watch at that weight, too.
9/7/13 11:01 AM
chadk

Tilla -
thewash - I will put it out there that SRL apart (god) Hatton would beat all of them too Phone Post 3.0

Hatton beats Hearns?

Hatton had his hands full with Urango, got bearly killed by Manny and ducked Witter.
And got a gift decision over Collazo don't forget. Phone Post
9/8/13 12:19 AM
grady
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewash HAD to have been trolling.
9/8/13 7:34 AM
Chadderz
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Needs more "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler IMO. Phone Post 3.0
9/8/13 11:59 AM
bhealthy

marlon starling could win a decision vs. Floyd,

honeygan, and hearns could KO him

hawk pryor and RAS-I bramble would make floyds face a mess, but he might get a decision if it went the distance
9/14/13 7:36 PM
MMA Playwright
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marlon Starling vs. Floyd would be interesting but boring. They'd each try to wait the other out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.