UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Old School basics from the north-south position!

9/3/13 3:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Eric Burdo
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kimura Lock and Paper Cutter Choke from the North-South position!
9/3/13 3:16 PM
Eric Burdo
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello everyone!

We are excited to share two old school basic attacks from the North-South Position:
1) Kimura Lock (shoulder lock)
2) Paper Cutter Choke
These are two must-have attacks for beginners, and advanced students alike.

Drill this submissions a lot, and you will be surprising your training partners and opponents in no time!

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel, like and comment on our videos!

Good training to you,
Eric Burdo
1st Degree BJJ Black Belt
BJJ Revolution Team
Richmond BJJ Academy
Richmond, VA

www.RichmondBJJ.com
www.BJJRevolution.com
www.BJJVideoVault.com
9/3/13 6:24 PM
dannybjj
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
9/3/13 10:13 PM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice Phone Post 3.0
9/3/13 10:15 PM
PressureGame
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 4:00 PM
Eric Burdo

TTT!
9/5/13 4:54 AM
baby-silverback
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
9/5/13 6:41 AM
LastDon
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I play a ton of north-south and have found that the kimura from there is a really high percentage submission. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 9:37 AM
Furacao
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff Burdo
9/5/13 10:25 AM
Judo Scott
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like it..
9/5/13 11:38 PM
Eric Burdo

Furacao - Good stuff Burdo

Thanks Cowboy! Hope all is well!
9/6/13 12:22 AM
Randy Marsh
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this combo! Thanks! Yaaaay! Phone Post
9/6/13 10:49 AM
Dan Pagan
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 1:30 PM
Mighty Cthulhu
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Top-notch combo, love the papercutter choke. I often finish it as a regular cross choke (palm down) rather than pulling the collar from under the arm.
9/6/13 2:04 PM
Judo Scott

Royler armbar off the paper cutter is my personal fav. They get so distracted thinking about that choke then all of a sudden their arms extended.
9/6/13 2:09 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
637 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
9/6/13 2:18 PM
GrahamJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo Scott - Royler armbar off the paper cutter is my personal fav. They get so distracted thinking about that choke then all of a sudden their arms extended.

Is that the one from Ssaulo's book?
If so: is there a video of it anywhere...? I tried for ages to work it out (the pictures/exxplanation were unclear), but gave up in the end, and just created a new armbar.
9/6/13 2:31 PM
Judo Scott

I don't have the book in front of me but if memory serves me the book shows a version off of knee on belly right?
9/6/13 2:37 PM
Judo Scott

Royler Armbar from paper cutter set up:

1. Get to paper cutter position and secure the arm
2. get them to reach their nearside hand to your hip closest to their hip
-- I do this by attacking with N/S choke or paper cutter and leaving a little room for them to put hand there.
3. once you have their amr and hand in right spot windshield wiper down side legs foot to their shoulder
4. Your head goes to their far side hip
5. Throw your leg over their head and sit up
6. You should have their arm trapped with their hand in your pit. Your thigh is what you use as the fulcrum point on their arm.

Hope that makes sense its easier to show than type.

Most of the videos I see of Royler doing it are from a low knee on belly
9/6/13 5:32 PM
GrahamJ

Judo Scott - Royler Armbar from paper cutter set up:

1. Get to paper cutter position and secure the arm
2. get them to reach their nearside hand to your hip closest to their hip
-- I do this by attacking with N/S choke or paper cutter and leaving a little room for them to put hand there.
3. once you have their amr and hand in right spot windshield wiper down side legs foot to their shoulder
4. Your head goes to their far side hip
5. Throw your leg over their head and sit up
6. You should have their arm trapped with their hand in your pit. Your thigh is what you use as the fulcrum point on their arm.

Hope that makes sense its easier to show than type.

Most of the videos I see of Royler doing it are from a low knee on belly

I know exactly what you mean; thanks a lot.
It's similar to the armbar I created: I had a problem, though, because when you do step 5, if the guy's any good he'll be lifting his head off the mat to pre-empt you stepping over.

I solved that problem by - between steps 3 and 4 - sliding my free hand across the mat, shaving the face, and turning the head, and leaving the palm of my hand on their cheek, stopping them from moving it/following me up.

There's no real pressure on the face, as you're leaning your weight towards their hip: the hand just occupies that space, so you don't feel like a douche because you're posting on their face.
9/6/13 5:50 PM
Judo Scott

For me I am actually going for the bread cutter as well so my hands across their neck. With the head to the hip and the pressure on the face its pretty easy to clear the head. Effectively pretty much same thing you got it sounds like.

The issue I have is followup if I land a little off or sometimes a better guy will do a back flip. I think those are just practice issues though.
9/6/13 7:01 PM
GrahamJ

Yeah: if you've got your hand in the collar, you'll be pushing off that,so the heel of your hand will base on his chest, and keep him from following you...

I get to n/s with an over-under (one arm in, one out), then get the back of the collar grip to threaten the breadcutter; i'll secure the arm by then using that as a fulcrum to pinch my elbow to my ribs.
Then I shave his face...

But I could incorporate that detail with the second hand: that'll sell the choke even more, and the gi grip would be more secure than posting on his face (not that i've ever hed any issues with that).
I might actually be able to get a step-over choke variation if I use my leg that steps over his head in conjunction with those collar grips...i'll look into that.
Thanks again.
9/6/13 8:44 PM
Judo Scott

no need to step over choke you have the bread cutter so your hands on the wrong side for the step over choke.. You just choke the guy with the regular bread cutter. Once he starts to address the choke then go for the armbar.
9/7/13 1:30 AM
GrahamJ

I meant if I went for my armbar - but with the second hand gripping the lapel, as you do it, like i'm going for the breadcutter - but then I lean my weight to his hip, step my leg over his head, and instesd of then dropping back for the armbar, I use my leg and grips to see if I can effect a choke in the style of the stepover (obviously the back of the collar grip is on the lapel, so i'd have to see if I could get a choking pressure somewhere else...).
9/11/13 1:52 PM
Eric Burdo

Hi Judo Scott and GrahamJ!

Just so you know, the next video I do will be alternate finishes from the north-south kimura position, I think you guys will enjoy the variations. I know you were discussing the paper cutter choke, but the variations will be related.

Thanks, and good training to you both!
Eric

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.