UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Article written by my publication blasting Sherdog

9/4/13 4:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam Mcgregor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recently, the MMA publication I work for had a little run in with Sherdog. Needless to say we are not happy, and neither is Sherdog. Our editor is a much more talented writer than anybody over at that terrible site, and he wrote this article to slap them in the face.
Enjoy! :)

http://www.scifighting.com/editorial-sherdog-dirty-underhanded-practices-called-mma-fan-sites/
9/4/13 4:14 PM
BENDOver_and_took_it
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 4:14 PM
IN.... cautiously
9/4/13 4:20 PM
Adam Mcgregor

BENDOver_and_took_it - IN.... cautiously

Don't worry. Sherdog can't hurt you here.
9/4/13 4:27 PM
Kings21
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed for later.
9/4/13 4:29 PM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMO News, Honcho

by looking at the first image, that sherdog 'mod' that they talk about is a subscriber? But, Sherdog sucks, that much is true.

9/4/13 4:29 PM
Adam Mcgregor

Kings21 - subbed for later.

There wont be a later if we dont talk about it lol
9/4/13 4:33 PM
caelrad

Sub Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 4:34 PM
Adam Mcgregor

fuck sherdog
9/4/13 4:35 PM
Tomato Can
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like much ado about nothing. At the very least it doesn't lay out its case very well.

I also question how "talented" a writer your editor is, as he seems to be in need of an editor himself.
9/4/13 4:40 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was cringeworthy, no offense to OP

9/4/13 4:52 PM
FOTN
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - 

Agreed. Great job making your site look rank amateur, Adam.

While people always have an issue with Sherdog's forums, the truth is that if you look beyond that then they have some of the best writers and talking heads in the sport.

Also, let's be real here - your site is posting regular links up on forums like this one and Sherdog trying to draw traffic to your own site. This is generally a practice that's frowned upon so it's to be expected that your going to get some kind of a backlash.
9/4/13 5:00 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 5:00 PM

Not only was it poorly written, the owner of a legitimate news site would never write a weird culty editorial about some dust up with moderators on a stupid internet forum.  This MMA culture is full of goofballs masquerading as media, conducting an interview here and there like it's some valuable exercise that requires anything more than a connection and a keyboard.  It's rare to see true journalism in connection with this sport - truly intelligent and dignified investigative work that takes actual work to produce.  So much sloppy nonsense out there it's just embarassing.

9/4/13 5:01 PM
Adam Mcgregor

FOTN - 
2JupitersTooMany - 

While people always have an issue with Sherdog's forums, the truth is that if you look beyond that then they have some of the best writers and talking heads in the sport.

Also, let's be real here - your site is posting regular links up on forums like this one and Sherdog trying to draw traffic to your own site. This is generally a practice that's frowned upon so it's to be expected that your going to get some kind of a backlash.

The only thing we post to other sites, is exclusive content. As in, quotes I went out and got from fighters myself. That is how forums work. You see it everyday, somebody finds something elsewhere that is not found on the site the forum is hosted on, so they post the link. Thats how you learn about the sport.
9/4/13 5:03 PM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not that the Sherdog forums arnt a peice of shit but you guys seem a little butt hurt over someone running their own forum the way they want to. their forum their rules. Seems like the only reason you signed up here was to spam this story. 

Why don't you get a business membership then you can spam all you want without getting froze from vote downs.

9/4/13 5:03 PM
2JupitersTooMany

This is the same site that was on here days ago fishing for views, advertising that it had brilliantly secured the first public statement from Mayhem Miller at his court appearance, and his statement was, paraphrasing, "I'm not giving a statement, leave me alone." 

9/4/13 5:05 PM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/4/13 5:08 PM
FOTN
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - 

This is the same site that was on here days ago fishing for views, advertising that it had brilliantly secured the first public statement from Mayhem Miller at his court appearance, and his statement was, paraphrasing, "I'm not giving a statement, leave me alone." 

Yeah, I made the mistake of clicking on that link the other day and couldn't believe what I was reading.
9/4/13 5:14 PM
tontobalboa
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at the guy's bio nearly being as long as the article.
9/4/13 5:14 PM
Col Angus
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba - 

9/4/13 5:16 PM
JimmersonzGlove
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ crying about an internet forum

The writer of that article is horrible. The Sherdog news site has great coverage. The forum is a completely different animal.

9/4/13 5:16 PM
2JupitersTooMany

http://www.scifighting.com/scifighting-exclusive-mayhem-miller-returns-court-gives-first-public-statement-scifighting/

The link to the Mayhem bit says "exclusive mayhem miller returns to court gives first public statement scifighting"

According to the author in his thread teaser, he “actually got the opportunity to discuss it with him personally.”

Here is the product of the "discussion," the "first public statement."

“This is a private family matter, and I ask the press to respect my and the alleged victim’s privacy.”

Can you imagine ESPN calling that a discussion?  They might have said something like, " We approached Mayhem at the court hearing but he wasn't willing to discuss the matter, asking that we respect his privacy."  It's hard for me to imagine someone digging up news for Sherdog being so goofy.

9/4/13 5:21 PM
2JupitersTooMany

No disrespect to the author, , who I have just learned is from Minnesota. Might have been an off day.

9/4/13 5:22 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's pretty clear that you guys were spamming all over their forums. The screencaps your editor provides shows Sherdog forum members making reference to this: "They're persistent, I'll give them that." or "7 in one day". The fact that this Shaolin Tempo fellow (welcome to the UG, Mr. Tempo) had SF.com's logo, and referenced their site in his first ever post shows that he (you) had an agenda. Whoever owned that account had almost certainly had the last FEW accounts banned. Tell your publication to stop wasting money on buying memberships for Internet assassins. The only thing that could've hurt scifighting's reputation in my eyes more than you did with this thread is if you had linked to an article welcoming frontrowbrian to the scifighting team.

9/4/13 5:25 PM
FOTN

Adam Mcgregor - 
FOTN - 
2JupitersTooMany - 

The only thing we post to other sites, is exclusive content. As in, quotes I went out and got from fighters myself. That is how forums work. You see it everyday, somebody finds something elsewhere that is not found on the site the forum is hosted on, so they post the link. Thats how you learn about the sport.

You can get away with posting the occasional feature article of your own work if it's actually worthwhile content, but if you're just spamming all the time, and / or it's sub-par writing then it's not going to work out too well.

That story about 'Mayhem' the other day was a perfect example of how to get on people's bad side with blatant link baiting that wasted everyone's time who visited your site.

This very thread is another example of shallow content that might get you a few cheap hits, but ultimately is going to do you more harm than good.

9/4/13 5:26 PM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think this is going as well as the OP expected it would.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.