UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Article written by my publication blasting Sherdog

9/4/13 5:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Biggest problem I had with Sherdog is that they seemed to be trying to sabotage my computer with spyware.
9/4/13 5:28 PM
MMAOutsider
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IN!
9/4/13 5:29 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/4/13 5:31 PM
Vaginal Tear
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BENDOver_and_took_it - IN.... cautiously
So you took it in cautiously but it still went in. Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 5:31 PM
JimmersonzGlove
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where do you get the pictures for your website?

I don't see any sourcing.

9/4/13 5:47 PM
JimmersonzGlove
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's an article on your website about Mark Hunt...you jacked Ester Lin of MMA Fighting for her photo without giving her credit or liking paying anything:

http://scifighting.mobilissolutions.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mark-hunt-wins-700x352.jpg

Here's the same photo with sourcing:

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/4/14/2949109/dana-white-shoots-down-rally-for-mark-hunt-title-shot-movement

9/4/13 5:50 PM
JimmersonzGlove

This ones worse...

Your Sean Sherk article:

http://www.scifighting.com/sean-sherk-ufc-hall-fame/

photo on that article:

http://cdn.scifighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/10_Sean_Sherk-700x352.jpg

Did you just lift the photo off UFC.com?

http://media.ufc.tv/119/119_weighin/UFC121_Weigh_Ins_28.jpg

9/4/13 6:08 PM
Adam Mcgregor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those are screenshots.
9/4/13 6:23 PM
Adam Mcgregor

Tomato Can - Seems like much ado about nothing. At the very least it doesn't lay out its case very well.

I also question how "talented" a writer your editor is, as he seems to be in need of an editor himself.

How so?
9/4/13 6:26 PM
NYjojo

Edited: 09/04/13 6:28 PM
OP, that editorial was high school newspaper 'cafeteria food is gnarly' quality. Sherdog forum is a forum. There are probably links to articles from mmaweekly, bloodyelbow, bjpenn.com etc. on the first few pages of the zuffa forum right now.

Also, why you guys hate sherdog so often? Sherdog speaks highly of UG 9/10.
9/4/13 6:27 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because, my good man

You will notice I'm sure

That his style of writing

Is hella impure

But no, not Marina

my fisticuff'd lass

Her grammar's perfection

as well as her ass

9/4/13 6:30 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I'm sorry, I'm sorry

How rude of me, sir

My topic bled over

From that thread to hurr

9/4/13 6:31 PM
Adam Mcgregor

NYjojo - OP, that editorial was high school newspaper 'cafeteria food is gnarly' quality. Sherdog forum is a forum. There are probably links to articles from mmaweekly, bloodyelbow, bjpenn.com etc. on the first few pages of the zuffa forum right now.

I'm sure Breen could have done a much better job huh?
9/4/13 6:40 PM
john joe
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
sherdog is ruthless about linkfarming because its had years of people trying to boost their own sites via spraying links onto its forums. If they werent ruthless about it, those forums would be a mess of linkspamming every day
9/4/13 6:41 PM
soliak
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/13 6:42 PM

'Our editor is a much more talented writer than anybody over at that terrible site'

Your editor fucking sucks dude. A friend is a writer/editor on a small website, this is an example of decent quality work - http://www.strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/

9/4/13 6:45 PM
smth416
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your website is fucking garbage. Second time in a week I made the mistake of going there.

Buy a business membership if you're here fishing for clicks ya cunt. Phone Post
9/4/13 6:47 PM
JimmersonzGlove

Not only is your website using copywritten content...you're uploading it to your own server and passing it off as your own.

9/4/13 6:53 PM
Ocean6

hahahahahaha
9/4/13 6:55 PM
Adam Mcgregor

soliak - 

'Our editor is a much more talented writer than anybody over at that terrible site'

Your editor fucking sucks dude. A friend is a writer/editor on a small website, this is an example of decent quality work - http://www.strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/

I could just as easily say your friend sucks. Its easy to do when you don't cite any issues.
9/4/13 6:58 PM
FOTN
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adam Mcgregor - 
NYjojo - OP, that editorial was high school newspaper 'cafeteria food is gnarly' quality. Sherdog forum is a forum. There are probably links to articles from mmaweekly, bloodyelbow, bjpenn.com etc. on the first few pages of the zuffa forum right now.

I'm sure Breen could have done a much better job huh?

Breen wouldn't have touched that kind of goofy, busch league article with a barge pole to be fair.
9/4/13 7:00 PM
Sublime7SD
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know or care how Sherdog's forums work. This is my opinion alone and does not intentionally reflect the rules of any forum.

People who post multiple threads linking to their website annoy me. There are certain posters who drop an occasional link to an article that I highly enjoy. Anyone who announces half of their shit articles never gets clicks from me. However, whenever Jack Slack pops in to say he's written a new article, I eagerly read it, then backtrack through his article history to find any I've missed.

Why? Because quality content advertises itself through reputation and fan word of mouth. An occasional link to something TRULY unique and different is worthwhile. A link with an "exclusive quote" is only interesting and worth posting if it's actually an interesting quote. That Mayhem Miller quote that was referenced is a great example of a quote that is not interesting at all. That's probably the most boring Jason Miller quote I've ever read.

I'm not trying to insult you or your website, just giving you some honest advice as to why people may find you annoying. The articles also read like they're edited by an intelligent high school or junior high student. The vocabulary feels awkward and forced, like your editor is still trying to get a feel for many of the words being used. To me, that speaks of youth, although it could be an older guy with a thesaurus and average English skills. Sometimes trying to make your writing sound too professional backfires and it sounds completely unprofessional. Less can be more in the case of vocabulary. I'd rather see a writer use a small word that fits perfectly than a longer synonym that feels clumsy. That's what I feel reading those articles. The clumsiness makes them tedious to read. You guys have a lot of work to do on your flow!

Again, not trying to be an asshole. That would be a pretty bad post if I was trying to hurt your feelings. This is just my honest opinion and advice. Hope it helps you.
9/4/13 7:04 PM
time traveling 12er
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan of Sherdog, but they have the right to do what they want. They're under no obligation to allow you to advertise your site. That article doesn't make a very compelling argument why you were wronged and it actually makes SciFighting look worse.
9/4/13 7:08 PM
Adam Mcgregor

With the quote from Mayhem, we were writing for our own audience. They have followed the story closely since we first started covering it. No other MMA news site was in the courtroom with us observing his case, so when we got a quote from him, that's all we had. It was better than nothing.
9/4/13 7:09 PM
yabadaba
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The only thing we post to other sites, is exclusive content. As in, quotes I went out and got from fighters myself. That is how forums work. You see it everyday, somebody finds something elsewhere that is not found on the site the forum is hosted on, so they post the link. Thats how you learn about the sport."

If someone not associated with your website posts a link that's one thing but what this guy is doing is spam. There's nothing wrong with posting links to your work (see Jack Slack for example) but you need to be upfront about your association with the link you're posting.

9/4/13 7:09 PM
Adam Mcgregor

And the articles existence is not simply to bitch, we are citing reasons as to why we are opening forums on our site.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.