UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: I don't think Struve will fight again

9/5/13 12:09 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last month during a routine examination, UFC heavyweight Stephan Struve was diagnosed with a leaking aortic valve and an enlarged heart. 'Skyscraper' was born with the condition, and it has affected him little to date, but at 25, his future in MMA is in doubt.

In an interview with CBS Washington's 106.7 The Fan UFC president Dana White said he thought a return to the Octagon was not likely.

"Yea, what he has is a serious condition," said White. "And I honestly don't think he ever will [fight again]. He's got a rip in his heart. And you know, it's one of those freak things that happen to people, and I love the kid. The kid's got, no pun intended, but he's got unbelievable heart. He's tough as nails. He's the nicest guy in the world, and we're going to do everything in our power to help him through this thing."

Listen to entire interview...

Thanks to MMA Fighting for the transcription.

9/5/13 12:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron Becker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good to hear the ufc will be covering everything
9/5/13 12:41 PM
Flexo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuuuuuck, was always pumped for a Struve fight. I Hope he can still live a full and healthy life. He still had a great career though, especially for such a young guy. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 12:42 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Struve never had a boring fight. Was going to finish or be finished every time. Will miss the giant fucker

9/5/13 12:53 PM
jjchgo
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shame to hear. I really enjoyed his fights and he seemed like a really likable guy.

best of luck in the future!
9/5/13 12:57 PM
OneSidedWar

Def sucks....hope a speedy recovery/overturned clearance. Phone Post
9/5/13 1:00 PM
Mr Sponge

I loved watching Struve fight he always brought it and never had a dull moment from the crowd. If he is done with fighting i wish him the best luck in his future endeavors. Struve you will be missed. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 1:04 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
736 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very exciting heavyweight. Sad news Phone Post
9/5/13 1:05 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I loved watching Struve fight. He's a great example of how showing heart and determination can leave more of an impact in the minds of fans than just winning fights. Definitely a true fighter.

I hope he focuses on being healthy and taking up a coaching role. Fighting is a rough game for a perfectly healthy person.. you don't want any of these disadvantages to further impact your quality of life in the future.

I think Struve does lurk here from time to time, so if you are reading this I wish you the best of luck with your career and health. I will be rooting for you in whatever happens next!

9/5/13 1:06 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Thats sad, why can't he fight if he has a surgery?

War Struve, best of luck Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 1:08 PM
FFTF_stuffadamdoes
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he can't fight anymore, I really hope he lands a different role in MMA. Always looked forward to his fights. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 1:11 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL -

I loved watching Struve fight. He's a great example of how showing heart and determination can leave more of an impact in the minds of fans than just winning fights. Definitely a true fighter.

I hope he focuses on being healthy and taking up a coaching role. Fighting is a rough game for a perfectly healthy person.. you don't want any of these disadvantages to further impact your quality of life in the future.

I think Struve does lurk here from time to time, so if you are reading this I wish you the best of luck with your career and health. I will be rooting for you in whatever happens next!

Well said. No pun intended, but that kid had heart like a mufucka. Great personality too when he came on the UG before the Corky fight. Showed a lot of class in winning that fight too. Phone Post
9/5/13 2:14 PM
OGT

Pitbull3744 - 
duckhuntgangsta - 
Pitbull3744 -

Awesome that struve will get the best care due to the UFC taking care of him.  I just wish you didnt have to be an exciting fighter to get that kind of love from Dana.  

Please provide on example of when Dana/ZUFFA refused fighter medical care. Phone Post 3.0

I didnt say he refused anyones care, i was just saying it seems like Dana will go to hell and beyond to take care of the guys like Hardy, and Struve that either KO someone or get KOd.  Didnt he refuse Mayhems Knee Surgery, i could be wrong on that though.

Mayhem made a fuss about the UFC not paying for his surgery. Then I think there were some emails between whatever department handles those types of things and dana iirc saying how he never applied to them to get it paid for.

I may have missed a detail somewhere but I am pretty sure I remember reading something like that here. Someone can bump the thread I'm sure.
9/5/13 2:25 PM
OGT

I'll never forget Struves fights. Always one of my favorites.

I remember when he pulled guard against Lavar, I was just thinking "that crazy mother fucker.... hel probably end up subbing him too."

....sure enough.

War Struve! As a 6'4 180 pound lanky bastard I couldn't help but cheer for you every time. I wish nothing but the best for you and if your career has indeed ended early it has been an absolute pleasure watching you fight!
9/5/13 2:25 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Much respect to Struve.

I am glad that before the Hunt fight he did get a nice winning streak going.

Tough as nails.
9/5/13 2:33 PM
Joeymarvelous
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Dana has some kind of front office job in mind for Struve, I'd like to continue seeing him around the sport. Phone Post
9/5/13 2:34 PM
the geek
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrCutter -
UGCTT_EnderTL -

Well said. No pun intended, but that kid had heart like a mufucka. Great personality too when he came on the UG before the Corky fight. Showed a lot of class in winning that fight too. Phone Post
This Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 3:33 PM
Another Foob
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bad.
9/5/13 3:47 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Truly sad, he's a tough kid who is always exciting to watch.

Best wishes to him. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 3:51 PM
JStrongMMA
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea...this sucks. Kudos to Dana and Lorenzo for taking care of the guy. Phone Post
9/5/13 4:07 PM
Eric Bloodaxe
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sucks. I alway enjoyed his fights and he is stil young. Could've done great things. 

All the best to him.

9/5/13 4:16 PM
Anderson P Sonnen
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn :(

...glad to have watched him fight over the years. Phone Post
9/5/13 6:26 PM
Yussarian
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck. All I can say. Hope he does well, nicest guy ever. Should be at least a spokes person for the sport.
9/5/13 6:34 PM
ChaosOverkill
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is hope on the horizon for stem cells to help fix something like this but it's still a ways away, especially in a country where Jesus tears are a priority over curing it's people.

I'm not sure where the research is at in other places

9/5/13 11:27 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

So, Im trying to make the best of this...Struve took some damage and he's still a young man. Hopefully the UFC will get him a good job within the company and he can live a long healthy life, without taking KO damage!

Sad to hear, Struve was always game! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.