9/6/13 3:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IhaveDSL'SforPettis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come on ladies Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 3:14 PM
BlueWrapper
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More people watched TUF? Ouch.

Gotta get these fight nights on Saturday. Wednesday cards are for the birds. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 3:34 PM
GROUNDnLB
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't read all the posts, but did anyone post that these ratings don't include people who tape the show and watch it 2
Or more days later? It was a horrible day of week, especially since there were two other cards right before it. I bet a lot of people, way more Than usual, did the above. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 3:42 PM
AceAtGSU
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched TUF later that night on FS2. Didn't bother because I knew I could catch the rerun.
9/6/13 3:48 PM
56sav

why would anybody want to tune in to watch women fight? I can't figure out why they thought that would work.
9/6/13 4:09 PM
QQmoar

Watching the top 5-10 women in the world fight is one thing.. they can put on exciting worth while fights..

watching everyone else is like watching bad prelims.. they arent exciting and are not fun.

Also the weight class is not the most popular.. 135 male fighters are not nearly as popular as the heavier weight classes.

and its on a network that not everyone tunes into. when you think of sports you just dont think of FS1..
9/6/13 4:10 PM
QQmoar

KingofBJJ - 
Bubba's Pinkslipped Butthole - 

UFC is bigger than soccer, bro.  And fighter pay is where it should be. 

Uhm.  Okay. Star Soccer players make more in a month, than top UFC fighters make all year.

Yup right where it should be, yet I am sure you are amped for UFC 167 so long as those guys don't get a boxer's salary for taking more damage.  As long as you are entertained right?

apparently you cant understand sarcasm...
9/6/13 4:25 PM
QQmoar

KingofBJJ - 
QQmoar - 
KingofBJJ - 

Uhm.  Okay. Star Soccer players make more in a month, than top UFC fighters make all year.

Yup right where it should be, yet I am sure you are amped for UFC 167 so long as those guys don't get a boxer's salary for taking more damage.  As long as you are entertained right?

apparently you cant understand sarcasm...

Was it really?  You never know on these boards!

lol you got me there... but it would appear to be sarcasm seeing that a brazil soccer game fills a stadium over over 100k people.. 1/5 of the total people who watched the ufc Wednesday night..

i truly never understood the popularity of soccer because being from NY and now living is NC its football/basketball and thats about it.

but staying in italy for a summer.. i got to go to a couple soccer games and ive never seen any sporting event like it. they are fanatical.. the italian government built tunnels under the stadium that allows the referees to leave and end up in different parts of the country.. for their safety.. its just crazy
9/6/13 4:34 PM
Ray Cappa

Strikes and gutters man. Strikes and gutters. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 4:36 PM
Ray Cappa

KingofBJJ -

It's called "irony" bro. Look it up. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 4:56 PM
Rantuckjr
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 

Sarcasm not a strong suit for this guy.
9/6/13 5:00 PM
Rantuckjr
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the rating work though?

Like is it true that only about 25,000 households in the whole country report to Nielsen?

Is it true that just over 50 of the largest 250 markets in america are even represented?

The accuracy of the forms that are filled in (usually during sweeps) is under dispute as those who do not have a box do not accurately report their watching habits?

Alternative watching experiences (online, DVR, etc.) are not even calculated in the numbers that are distributed each week?

9/6/13 5:08 PM
epwar
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rantuckjr - I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the rating work though?

Like is it true that only about 25,000 households in the whole country report to Nielsen?

Is it true that just over 50 of the largest 250 markets in america are even represented?

The accuracy of the forms that are filled in (usually during sweeps) is under dispute as those who do not have a box do not accurately report their watching habits?

Alternative watching experiences (online, DVR, etc.) are not even calculated in the numbers that are distributed each week?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings#Measuring_ratings

9/6/13 5:08 PM
Non N00B

jimbonice -  Who's got the time to watch 18 hours of UFC in the span of seven days? MMA overload. Phone Post

If you were around in say the 02-05 days, you would think something like this would be impossible, now people are bitching about it.

:(
9/6/13 5:46 PM
Chromium
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rantuckjr - I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the rating work though?

The "largest 250 markets" in America includes things like Helena, Montana. I'm not sure there even are a top 250 U.S. markets. Nielsen represents 210 American markets including at least the largest 50 (basically the underreported areas are mostly rural areas or places that barely qualify as cities and not towns like Bangor, Maine), so no 50/250 is bullshit. Anyway I'm pretty sure the total amount of Nielsen households with set meters is far greater than 25,000, but 25,000 is the number that are randomly selected for use for national ratings (as opposed to local ratings) on any given day.  It's also a perfectly reasonable sample size. Hotels and college dorms are also represented as of a few years ago. People Meters measure who is in the room at any given time (pretty much like the Kinect), and as of 2009 were only available in 56 of the largest markets, representing about 70% of the total number of Nielsen Households. Viewership numbers have surpassed numeric Household and Coverage Area ratings in importance because they're the end game and represent the actual number of people viewing as opposed to just the percentage of television households but the accuracy on that numbers is a little lower at the moment (still though, at this point the viewership number is what people should care about).

The diaries are a separate thing for the four annual sweeps periods, and use a sample size of 2 million people. There are indeed problems for ensuring accuracy with written journals, but even with the giant sample size sweeps I believe are way less important than they were 15 years ago.

DVRs are not counted towards ratings or viewership numbers because Nielsen's entire point is to provide data that would be useful to advertisers. What shows are DVR'd are recorded by set meters though and are used for other purposes. It's still a feather in a show's cap to say you were one of the most DVR'd programs on television even if it's not nearly as important to advertisers as live viewing.

9/6/13 5:55 PM
Ktaco
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a few random thoughts.

1. I too don't get the whole ratings thing. The whole system seems so outdated and I don't know how it could possibly represent the real # of viewers. With the technology we have you would think they could get a real number of how many people actually watched "UFC xx" regardless of what channel they were on or what country they were in.

2. I love mma. The more fights the better. If they want to have a event every week that's perfect. However you cannot expect to get the same kind of ratings from a weekly event compared to what you would get from a monthly event. I DVR events on Wednesdays. TUF only finished at 1am my time so there's no way I'm ever going to watch it live.

3. I find it frustrating how they mess around with UFC on FOX. We were all told this was the biggest thing that could happen for the sport etc, etc. I'm not saying it isn't, and I know it's still in the early years but it seems the events are on everything else but FOX. Everything is too scattered around. I think if they want to make it work they have to put everything on one channel and keep it that way.
9/6/13 6:00 PM
MCchoke

ratings will pick up,the show will do fine
and its going to be a cool season.
9/6/13 6:04 PM
Chromium
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're on a new network, so the rating has nothing to do with the quality of the new TUF season (the UFN should have had more names on it though). I actually enjoyed seeing a lot of people I was already familiar with in this tournament.

However, with the UFC basically being paid to help build Fox's sports networks, they're compromising the size of their fanbase in the process. They should be asking for more main Fox shows (say, 6 a year) and ask that those be 3 hours long now. Those shows actually help draw in new fans.

Being asked to be the backbone of FS1 is good for Fox, not-so-good for the UFC.

Also, they need a presence on FX of some kind, even if it's just UFC Primetime re-airings or something at 11 PM. It's a major cable outlet that can help build the UFC.

Basically the UFC needs more mainstream exposure again. Staying friendly with SportsCenter also helps.

9/6/13 6:07 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 -

Dana you cant deny its got to piss you off alittle bit knowing that with this season of TUF, Ronda, female/male cast, good talent in both divs, Ronda/Tate rivalry that if you guys were on FX you'd be doing double the ratings you are now.

I dont expect an honest answer cause you arent gonna want to put down your Fox partners but I have to image deep down you wish you could have gotten one more season of TUF on FX cause it probably would have done really well. 

I doubt it. Fox is trying to use the UFC to help build a new network. Dana is smart enough to know that. It's better for them in the long run. Phone Post
9/6/13 6:50 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 09/06/13 6:50 PM
duckhuntgangsta - LOGIC would you be so kind to comment on my thread about a content idea for FS2? I'd love your take. Phone Post 3.0

the return on investment for running a seperate feeder league is just not there.  RFA, Titan, Jungle fights, etc... are all doing it without costing zuffa anything.

UFC Prelims are the closest thing to an inhouse farm system for zuffa.  it doesnt add much in fixed costs and provides exposure and space for fighters to further develop.  Zuffa has figured out how to make an inhouse feeder system work.

Just a few years ago you couldnt watch UFC prelims unless you were there live.  Then you had 1 hour ppv prelim specials with around 2 fights airing on spike, and facebook along with fight night prelims were added.

If there's one glaring success story with the fox deal it's the prelims.  The UFC went from 1 hour ppv prelim specials to 2 hour ppv prelim specials which doubled the amount of potential fights exposed to a large audience. 

fight night prelims went from facebook which pulled around 40k viewers to fuel pulling over 100k tripling the exposure for those fights.  Now with the fight night prelims moving to fs1 the exposure has nearly tripled again 

As UFC fight nights increase so does the "developmental league" (prelims).

I dont see Zuffa running a seperate feeder league unless it's in a place like china or india where fighters have alot of catching up to do.  It will still be under the UFC brand but probably wont be packaged for global consumption.

9/6/13 6:52 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread has better ratings than the show!

Good job LOGIC!
9/6/13 6:58 PM
Bobby Lupo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody wants to see 135lb guys fight, even if hot chicks are involved.

UFC should be: WW, MW, 195, LHW, HW and it should be on FOX and FX

Lil' UFC should be broads and under 170 guys, and stick that on FS1/2 whatever
9/6/13 7:17 PM
Belial

RileyPust - 

I don't get Spike in my current cable package, and I'm not paying anything extra just for Bellator. Similarily, I'm not paying extra to get Sportsnet360 just for the UFC. There is literally nothing else on either of those channels that I'm going to watch.

This, I'm not upgrading my cable package just to watch TUF and some "free" cards. If Fox sports 1 really wants to compete with ESPN, like they say they do, it needs to be on the same cable tier as ESPN.
9/6/13 7:26 PM
Lazer MMA

Belial - 
RileyPust - 

I don't get Spike in my current cable package, and I'm not paying anything extra just for Bellator. Similarily, I'm not paying extra to get Sportsnet360 just for the UFC. There is literally nothing else on either of those channels that I'm going to watch.

This, I'm not upgrading my cable package just to watch TUF and some "free" cards. If Fox sports 1 really wants to compete with ESPN, like they say they do, it needs to be on the same cable tier as ESPN.

Do what you want guys. Also understand that FUEL has put on great cards and this weeks card was lots of fun too on FS1. IMO WTF cares about anything else except getting enjoyment watching MMA?

That's the part I never got, it's not like the OP is getting paid for ratings or anyone gives a F if you watch FS1 except for yourself. You don't have it and you're losing out on some fights that are bad ass. You want to worry about competing with ESPN then go right ahead, IMO it's bogus.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.