UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC pulls horrible ratings last night

9/6/13 5:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Non N00B
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell most people I know havent even realized FS1 is a channel and that Speed is gone yet!
9/6/13 6:03 AM
MisterHawkeMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
json123 - Those numbers would be considered terrible if on other more established networks. However, aren't these numbers some of the best for FS1 in its short time so far?

the tuf number beat every college football game on fs1 last week.  I believe the best college football game last week pulled 711k viewers.  This isnt a disaster for fs1 as it is for zuffa.

You cant sell ppv's, tickets and merchandise if you're audience dwindles away.

The tuf numbers arent good but they arent disasterous yet.  if it drops and settles around 600k it will be.  if it stays around 800k it's not great but at this point it's all you can ask for.

The prelims were also fine... last week the prelim numbers were 100k on fs2.  so 270k is good for zuffa on a midday showing.where the exposure for the prelims tripled.  that's about the only good news for zuffa.

The numbers for the main card is what's concerning here (539k)...  and the fact that the audience for the UFC on fs1 isnt increasing 3 weeks in... it's decreasing.

This logic is super flawed.

1. This was a brazilian card. For what the UFC lost in US viewership, pretty sure they made up in Brazilian viewership. I know that people in this country like to think that we are the only ones that matter, but if that was the case, it wouldn't have been a card full of brazilians.

2. Building up FS1 is a big deal. If that channel get's big enough it will help the UFC exit PPV which it definitely wants to do. Of course, they'd like that figure to be larger, but not if it meant allowing FS1 to fail. And currently, they are the only show worth watching on that channel.
9/6/13 6:34 AM
idsmashit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who would think a card would be on midweek i told 2 pals and we watched a few. the 3 main fights i wanted to see more then saturdays card. The matchmaking and cards are so bad i dont see much thought going into it.
9/6/13 6:36 AM
idsmashit

TUF isnt for hardcore fans its for fools. Only Americans lap up something with that many seasons. pumping out a lot of garbage but i'll still watch the big events.
9/6/13 6:44 AM
esch99
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would really like to see them get off of these Wednesday fight cards and keep them on the weekends.
9/6/13 7:23 AM
Vader03
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport -
Vader03 - Why does everyone try to pull the sky is falling crap on the ufc all the time. Things are gonna be fine Phone Post 3.0

Spoken like a true, uninformed lemming..........
Whatever Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 7:50 AM
Chromium
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/06/13 7:50 AM

I know the Brazil cards are as much for Globo Esporte as anyone, but they really need to do two things with the matchmaking on any of the Ultimate Fight Night cards:

1) Lead off the main card (especially a 6-fight main card) with a name fighter on it, or at least a name the hardcore fans care about. The main card was full of good fights but only the top half of it had dudes I recognized. If the firstmain-card fight had say, Rousimar Palhares on it, I'd have been more interested in making sure I started viewing on time. You can still shuffle things and put in a prospect like Ali Baugatinov who you might be trying to build up in between the opening main-card match and the top 3 fights.

2) Stick a minor name somewhere in the prelims too, preferably in the headliner. I know that name value doesn't usually correspond to the quality of the fights, but I honestly had zero interest in anyone on the prelims and decided to skip them entirely.

Also, maybe just specifically for the twice-annual cards that lead into The Ultimate Fighter premier, consider having the main-events just be 3-rounds so you can start them later and better ensure a live lead-in. Probably won't be a _huge_ difference in the ratings but won't be dismissable either.

Hell, I've never been a fan of having extra prelims aired right at the end of the card anyway unless it's something completely insane like TKZ vs. Garcia 1. Sticking a good prelim fight right in the middle of the card is better for the folks watching at home and if it's an intermission of 10 minutes or less I wouldn't think it'd kill the live crowd.

EDIT: I really shouldn't be awake right now...

9/6/13 8:04 AM
Flannerz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck is Duck Dynasty?
9/6/13 8:34 AM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 
brahmabull81 - Well that fucking sucks. And honestly, ups to OP for doing the right thing and posting this even though it probably sucked to do so.

Why do you think this is? Just not big enough names on the card, or?

I would have to admit that the market isnt ready for 3 live events in a 7 day time span.  The numbers should be going up or at worst settling at around 800k.  The numbers going down is not a good sign.

Glover/Bader was a weakest card of the three and, as a result, was the one that more folks skipped.

The next six months are going to be rough for the UFC. FS1 has no core audience to speak of. Once they get through the first college football season, things should start to get better.

For the near future, the UFC is going to take it on the chin. Their stuff will be the highest rated programming the channel has and Fox will be happy with them. But I expect those within the Zuffa offices will be miserable for a while.

As far as settling at 800k, I think there will be more shows under that number. Until the channel establishes it's presence, things will be rough.
9/6/13 9:28 AM
CombatIns
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would think that only the Brazilian ratings matter on that fight since it was more for them and not us. The TUF ratings are surprising though, the wife and I had been excited about it for weeks and figured others were too Phone Post
9/6/13 10:12 AM
Ch1ef
449 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So am I one of the 800k? How do they know that I watched it? Do DVR recordings count as a view? Do they count my house twice since I watched it on one box and recorded in on another? Phone Post
9/6/13 10:23 AM
Wicked smahtMF

idk about Fox lately. Seems like theyre fucking us. Fuel tv was to present, the pinnacle of mma content volume imo. since fuel got the ax its replacement has fallen well short of its predecessors high water mark. wednesdays arent as good as the thurssdays we had last year. and am i nuts or did we have 9 oclocks at one point? either way. idk why Dana isnt giving them shit.
9/6/13 11:08 AM
jimbonice

Who's got the time to watch 18 hours of UFC in the span of seven days? MMA overload. Phone Post
9/6/13 11:18 AM
JStrongMMA

jimbonice - Who's got the time to watch 18 hours of UFC in the span of seven days? MMA overload. Phone Post
Ugh....I...I do. Phone Post
9/6/13 11:24 AM
PatrickVilone

MMALOGIC -

270k viewers for prelims, 539k viewers for fight night and 762k viewers for tuf debut.

These numbers are a disasterous.

Shit I bet the prelims do better than Bellator PPV Phone Post
9/6/13 11:41 AM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverback Gorilla Monsoon - 
MMA Lives Here -
JimmersonzGlove -
epwar - 
dfw jr - 
MMALOGIC -

Ofcourse fox is happy... the UFC is carrying the network and Zuffa is being paid peanuts for it.  If a girl was paying you to suck your dick you'd be happy too. 

700m over 7 years is nothing... look at the amount of content Zuffa has to produce.  if you take away 3 ppv events a year, the roughly 50m a year spike and versus was already paying Zuffa and all the extra content zuffa has to produce for fox it's a wash.

Yeah, the potential with fs1 and fox can be huge but if the numbers dont go back to what they were the sport can become flacid in the states.

Stop taking it in the ass Francis and get Fox to replay tuf on big Fox at 11pm so you can stop the bleeding.

LMFAO, you are someone in the industry for sure. Phone Post 3.0

He just reads Meltzer and Alvarez (or is Meltzer or Alverez).

+1

He refreshes Meltzer's site all day long for info. It's no coincidence that whenever he posts ratings here, it's right after Meltzer posts them on his site.

MMALOGIC = Meltzer?? Phone Post 3.0
I think you'll soon find out that he is just some schmuck who has failed at every turn in life and is now filled with anger (fueled by disappointment). It is clear from his "writing" that he is poorly educated, most likely the result of his dropping out of either HS or community college. My guess is he is a male, white, late 20s to mid 30s, single, unemployed or underemployed and financially unsuccessful. He is probably good with numbers and may have excelled in math while in school. He most likely had a bright future at one time but has now become an angry shell of his former self. He has been watching MMA since just after TUF 1 and has little to no understanding of the sport's history (which is why he wishes for the death of leagues actively employing fighters). He's a sad little man and I can't wait for him to go back to Sherdog. He brings nothing to this forum and serves only to instigate and wish ill on fighters who are working hard to provide for their families. The UG will be a much better place when he is gone. Phone Post 3.0

That's quite the psychological profile there.
9/6/13 11:45 AM
smth416
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverback Gorilla Monsoon - 
MMA Lives Here -
JimmersonzGlove -
epwar - 
dfw jr - 
MMALOGIC -

Ofcourse fox is happy... the UFC is carrying the network and Zuffa is being paid peanuts for it.  If a girl was paying you to suck your dick you'd be happy too. 

700m over 7 years is nothing... look at the amount of content Zuffa has to produce.  if you take away 3 ppv events a year, the roughly 50m a year spike and versus was already paying Zuffa and all the extra content zuffa has to produce for fox it's a wash.

Yeah, the potential with fs1 and fox can be huge but if the numbers dont go back to what they were the sport can become flacid in the states.

Stop taking it in the ass Francis and get Fox to replay tuf on big Fox at 11pm so you can stop the bleeding.

LMFAO, you are someone in the industry for sure. Phone Post 3.0

He just reads Meltzer and Alvarez (or is Meltzer or Alverez).

+1

He refreshes Meltzer's site all day long for info. It's no coincidence that whenever he posts ratings here, it's right after Meltzer posts them on his site.

MMALOGIC = Meltzer?? Phone Post 3.0
I think you'll soon find out that he is just some schmuck who has failed at every turn in life and is now filled with anger (fueled by disappointment). It is clear from his "writing" that he is poorly educated, most likely the result of his dropping out of either HS or community college. My guess is he is a male, white, late 20s to mid 30s, single, unemployed or underemployed and financially unsuccessful. He is probably good with numbers and may have excelled in math while in school. He most likely had a bright future at one time but has now become an angry shell of his former self. He has been watching MMA since just after TUF 1 and has little to no understanding of the sport's history (which is why he wishes for the death of leagues actively employing fighters). He's a sad little man and I can't wait for him to go back to Sherdog. He brings nothing to this forum and serves only to instigate and wish ill on fighters who are working hard to provide for their families. The UG will be a much better place when he is gone. Phone Post 3.0

It takes a special kind of loser to take the time to type all that up about a forum poster.

Take a break from the internet uberdork.
9/6/13 11:54 AM
stonepony

Is it considered preferable by the UFC, to have one card do 800k viewers, or 3 cards pulling in 750k each?

Pro boxing does what, two big fights a year? One? The pay days are huge and the PPV pulls in big numbers, because all of the attention is concentrated on those one or two big fights. If there was a major boxing PPV once a month, the numbers would flatline.
9/6/13 12:08 PM
Kinkle

There was a UFC on? Who cares, the Broncos/Ravens game was on. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 12:52 PM
SonOfThePeepHole

U Fight Cautiously Phone Post
9/6/13 1:01 PM
Rantuckjr
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where did you pull your 300K # from?

By this post, i have no doubt you are one of the guys that has no idea how the ratings work.
9/6/13 1:04 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

SonOfThePeepHole - U Fight Cautiously Phone Post
U fight cheap Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 1:10 PM
JimmersonzGlove
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

esch99 - I would really like to see them get off of these Wednesday fight cards and keep them on the weekends.

I disagree. I love the Wednesday cards.

9/6/13 1:58 PM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, this kneejerk thread has gone much longer than most. MMALOGic and Dana's fault? :)
9/6/13 2:39 PM
TopGrinder

So TUF debuts to their lowest numbers ever and Dana spins this into a great thing. Fucking lol. Excuses excuses. Shit is sounding like American politicians now. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.