UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> NSAC raises marijuana threshold by 300%

9/5/13 7:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On April 27 UFC lightweight Pat Healy beat Jim Miller in a fight so tremendous that Healy was awarded a $65,000 "Fight of the Night" performance bonus and an additional $65,000 "Submission of the Night" award. Awards are held pending the results of State regulator mandated tests for Performance Enhancing and Recreational Drugs.

Healy came back positive for marijauna metabolites, due apparently to an ill-advised night out with friends some 30 days before the fight.

Healy forfeited $130,000, one of the most expensive joints in history.

The event may in time come to be looked upon as a turning point in the regulation of marijuana in combat sports.

There is a general feeling that while the rules are the rules and must be enforced, stringent prohibitions on marijuana use are not in keeping with sweeping changes in the way society views use of the drug.

"Society is changing, it's a different world now," said UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner in March. Ratner is himself a former Executive Director of the NSAC. "States are legalizing marijuana and it's becoming more and more of a problem with fighters testing positive and the metabolites. Right now I just cannot believe that a performance enhancing drug and marijuana can be treated the same.  It just doesn't make sense to the world anymore and it's something that has to be brought up."

One quick solution to the problem was offered by the The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), which recently upped the standards for a positive test. The new requirement rightly prevents fighters from competing while high, but does not penalizing those fighters that choose to engage in marijuana on a recreation or prescription basis during the normal course of the life. Under the new standard, the marijuana testing threshold would be raised from 50 ng/mL to 150 ng/mL.

Now one of the most infliuential regulatory bodies in the world, the Nevada State Athletic Commisson (NSAC) has followed suit.

MiddleEasy has the story.

A couple of weeks ago I talked to Keith Kizer, the head of the NSAC, about marijuana and MMA. We went on for over a half hour, and at the end of the conversation my animosity towards him dissipated.

This morning I received an email from Keith Kizer letting me know that as of yesterday, the NSAC has officially raised the testing threshold of marijuana metabolites from 50 ng/mL to 150 ng/mL. That represents a 300% increase, which means you can have 3x more marijuana metabolites in your system before it's a positive test. something unprecedented in the the industry. Now that the threshold has been raised, fighters could literally smoke marijuana roughly up until a week before their fight -- although it's best to stay off the green, leafy stuff at least two weeks prior to a 150 ng/ML test just to err on the side of caution.

Read entire article...

9/5/13 8:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
creepymcfinger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a good start Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 8:06 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AWESOME NEWS.

Hopefully this put an END to this non-sense.

I hope they raised it high enough thought.
9/5/13 8:10 PM
Korpiklaani

great to hear this hopefully itll work
9/5/13 8:10 PM
Metafour

STOCKTON!!! WHAT?! Phone Post
9/5/13 8:11 PM
caposa
1415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. Maybe Diaz can retroactively get his W back over Gomi.

9/5/13 8:14 PM
stevekt
461 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have numbers of some of the recent positive marijuana tests? Would Nick Diaz have been within limits? Phone Post
9/5/13 8:15 PM
GaryColeman

On a related note, did anyone see the latest video Nick Diaz uploaded to YouTube? Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 8:16 PM
KeithKizer

Nevada SAC, Executive Director

"A couple of weeks ago I talked to Keith Kizer, the head of the NSAC, about marijuana and MMA.  We went on for over a half hour, and at the end of the conversation my animosity towards him dissipated."

Always been a charmer.  Especially with this hair.

slamming

Fighters will still test positive, because they are stupid.
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaryColeman - On a related note, did anyone see the latest video Nick Diaz uploaded to YouTube? Phone Post 3.0
Link me, Gary!! Phone Post
Allen Hood

Bring back Matt Riddle ! Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 8:17 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

"A couple of weeks ago I talked to Keith Kizer, the head of the NSAC, about marijuana and MMA.  We went on for over a half hour, and at the end of the conversation my animosity towards him dissipated."

LOL Phone Post
9/5/13 8:18 PM
Bob Saget Bottom Team

Mertvaya Ruka - AWESOME NEWS.

Hopefully this put an END to this non-sense.

I hope they raised it high enough thought.
Not high enough for the Diaz bros haha Phone Post
9/5/13 8:19 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stevekt - Anyone have numbers of some of the recent positive marijuana tests? Would Nick Diaz have been within limits? Phone Post
He tested at 175 so he still wouldn't pass.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2007/04/nick-diazs-win-over-takanori-gomi-ruled-a-no-contest Phone Post
9/5/13 8:20 PM
HexRei

ajjr0ller - 
stevekt - Anyone have numbers of some of the recent positive marijuana tests? Would Nick Diaz have been within limits? Phone Post
He tested at 175 so he still wouldn't pass.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2007/04/nick-diazs-win-over-takanori-gomi-ruled-a-no-contest Phone Post

although hilariously, its only a little over the new limit, and the commission doc said that in his professional opinion nick was so stoned that he couldn't feel gomi's punches (mega eyeroll)
9/5/13 8:21 PM
slamming

KeithKizer - 

Lol good stuff Keith.
9/5/13 8:23 PM
fanaticomma
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good work Mr Kizer.
9/5/13 8:23 PM
AllAmericanBoxing
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer -

What's the best way to become a mma judge? What kind if classes, seminars, or people do I have to blow to get the job? *wink* *wink* Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon. Phone Post
9/5/13 8:26 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer - 

Shit... it just worked on me too.

9/5/13 8:27 PM
Flyingomaplataman

Well it's about damn time!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 8:37 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KeithKizer - 

Just the guy I wanted to see. Aside from raising the MJ threshold (which is fantastic) I was curious to know what would happen if a fighter failed a VADA drug test prior to about in Nevada? The commission would probably enforce a fine and suspension, would they not?
9/5/13 8:40 PM
rwake

This is good in keeping with the times but the most stressful time is the week of the fight. I figure some fighters will still get caught for just not being smart and smoking too close to fight day.

But seriously, if you have enough will to cut weight then you should have enough will to take it easy on the green stuff close to fight time. Phone Post 3.0
9/5/13 8:41 PM
KeithKizer

Nevada SAC, Executive Director
RileyPust - 
KeithKizer - 

Just the guy I wanted to see. Aside from raising the MJ threshold (which is fantastic) I was curious to know what would happen if a fighter failed a VADA drug test prior to about in Nevada? The commission would probably enforce a fine and suspension, would they not?

If a fighter (or his or her paid agent) gives me a positive steroid test, I would certainly treat it very seriously.

The NSAC had this occur with boxer Lamont Peterson.

9/5/13 8:42 PM
OnlyFoolsPickBendo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank god. Please tell me how pot give someone an unfair advantage. If I were to fight a guy I would love him to smoke some, I think it would make home easier to beat, at least standing up. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.