UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Barnett: Mir complaints cheapening my win

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/6/13 10:15 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Satruday night former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett beat former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir, when referee Rob Hinds stopped the contest at 1:56 of the first round, due to strikes.

The stoppage was controversial, with a variety of figures including Dana White saying the bout was stopped early.

"You've got to let us fight," said Mir recently. "I didn't sign up for a tennis match... I think the fans got robbed. I got screwed over."

In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Barnett added his name to the list of people being screwed over.

“I knew that he was right on the edge of being finished even up to 20 seconds before that,” said Barnett. “I could feel it really coming on. I could smell blood. As soon as I hit him with that knee and he just hit the floor, the boost was kicking in. I was just kind of going to absolute rampage all over him, and there was no way he was getting through that.”

“It was only controversial because Hinds stepped in right at the moment, right at the first absolute point he could come in there … to keep him from really getting hurt bad. Frank jumped up and made a huge stink about it, and that’s where the boos came from.”

“It does cheapen the win to some degree, but also what makes it difficult is that he gets up and says what he wants to say and I can’t just slug him and knock him out again. The problem with that is, the repercussions would be bad. I told him, I go, ‘Well, I understand why you’re upset and I’d be mad if I felt it was stopped early too.’ … There was a little understanding on my part, but I was also visibly -- I was incredibly upset myself because I felt like I got robbed of the moment. I did all this training. We get in the ring. We’re not there to be friends. I put this man on his face, and all of a sudden all that time spent getting up to this point, I feel like that’s my time. I get to cash in for all the sacrifices I’ve put in … and I get denied.”

“I’m right in the title contention no matter where I’m at. Everybody knows that I can carry the gold.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (1:07:189 mark)

9/6/13 10:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
da Vinci 81
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't sound like he's pissed so much at Mir as he is pissed that Mir has a legit reason to complain. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 10:31 AM
Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir was about to be out cold.... Like in deep freeze the movie. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 10:32 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
736 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stark raving mad. 

9/6/13 10:33 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
736 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Barnett threatens to 'slug' Mir after stoppage."

9/6/13 10:36 AM
HalfThisGameIs90PercentMental
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mur wasn't getting out of that. I like Barnet always have. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 10:40 AM
JStrongMMA
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eh...I think the fans that know anything about the two fighters and mma in general know that Mir lost that fight and he was out before he popped back up. Barnett has a right to be upset with Mir because he was completely full of shit at the post fight presser.

"....I went down on my own and was fishing for underhooks" Phone Post
9/6/13 11:02 AM
Labrador
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - Doesn't sound like he's pissed so much at Mir as he is pissed that Mir has a legit reason to complain. Phone Post 3.0

"...Hinds stepped in right at the moment, right at the first absolute point he could come in there … to keep him from really getting hurt bad. Frank jumped up and made a huge stink about it, and that’s where the boos came from"

I don't know man, it sounds like it's Frank he's identifying as the source of the problem.

Also, I don't like the "the fans got robbed" aspect Frank is bringing into it because I think he's using that to try to get fans on his side and he's really just concerned with himself. As a fan, I don't feel robbed at all, I thought it was great.
9/6/13 11:04 AM
kevsh
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know that thread here about the most lopsided MMA fights? If this went much longer it would've been in contention.

Frank was never in this fight. He got one good hook in if I recall, other than that he was getting blasted against the cage and had no answer. A little early for sure but merciful.
9/6/13 11:14 AM
FortyKoatz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate early stoppages and am usually the one advocating it to go a bit longer.

This was a great stoppage.

Mir dropped like a sack of potatoes and looked to be out cold. Either way he was about to be pummeled into another planet.

9/6/13 11:14 AM
JStrongMMA
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - You know that thread here about the most lopsided MMA fights? If this went much longer it would've been in contention.

Frank was never in this fight. He got one good hook in if I recall, other than that he was getting blasted against the cage and had no answer. A little early for sure but merciful.
Frank was landing some shots over the top when Josh initially clinched but it wasn't anything significant. Josh had won the fight as soon as he got him against the fence. Phone Post
9/6/13 11:25 AM
Sakuraba belt
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/06/13 11:26 AM
I think Mir's complaint to the ref was legit, but only because he was flash KO'd and as a result, would not have realised he went out.

Did take some shine off a great win for Barnett, unfortunately.
9/6/13 11:31 AM
Sprawl'n'Stall
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FortyKoatz - I hate early stoppages and am usually the one advocating it to go a bit longer.

This was a great stoppage.

Mir dropped like a sack of potatoes and looked to be out cold. Either way he was about to be pummeled into another planet.

Agreed.

Ref made a good stoppage at the time he decided to do it. By some freak thing, Mir went from limp and KOed to back to almost full consciousness in a second or two, but the decision had been made prior.
9/6/13 11:32 AM
garrote
597 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir was done. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 11:40 AM
OneGloveJimmerson
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It takes a little bit of the shine off, but everyone knows where that fight was going. Mir was 1 or 2 big shots away from a face down mat nap.
9/6/13 11:47 AM
pharochuck
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
I feel where Barnett is coming from. He won fair and square. The stoppage was fine, there was going to be no comeback Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 12:07 PM
Kinkle

Early stoppage, but there was zero chance Mir would've came back. It was 3-4 seconds away from a LATE stoppage. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 12:10 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

da Vinci 81 - Doesn't sound like he's pissed so much at Mir as he is pissed that Mir has a legit reason to complain. Phone Post 3.0
Yep, his arms going limp for a second after he dropped like a sack of tortillas is a legit reason to say it was stopped early. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 12:19 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1372 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mir was out when he fell to the floor

ref has to stop that

sure he was fine shortly after, and i woulda liked it to continue

but it was a textbook stoppage

9/6/13 12:23 PM
JStrongMMA

BTT-RyannVonDoom -
da Vinci 81 - Doesn't sound like he's pissed so much at Mir as he is pissed that Mir has a legit reason to complain. Phone Post 3.0
Yep, his arms going limp for a second after he dropped like a sack of tortillas is a legit reason to say it was stopped early. Phone Post 3.0
But he was fishing for underhooks dammit! Phone Post
9/6/13 12:24 PM
ajsr
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it would be perfectly understandable if Barnett was unhappy with Mir claiming that he strategically went unconscious and dropped flat on his face to improve position.

It would be a different story if Frank accepted how badly hurt he was but argued that he should have been afforded a bit more opportunity to recover.
9/6/13 12:30 PM
I_lov3_JUSTIN_BIEBER

Josh is right.

It shouldn't be about whether Mir got robbed (which I don't believe he did) it should be about how great Josh performed in his entrance back into the UFC.

Sucks for Josh. He did great. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 12:31 PM
SignsOfChaos
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir needs to suck it up and can the complaints.

Was it stopped quickly? Absolutely.

The ref's job is to protect fighters from injury and that was the result here. Mir was getting his ass handed to him against the cage......and like Barnett felt I'm sure most fans watching at home felt that at any moment Mir was gonna eat something big and get KO'd which he did. Sure.....he recovered quick and got up but I don't think there's any doubt that if it was allowed to continue he wasn't going to get up after the knee shot as Barnett would have swarmed him and likely inflicted some stout damage Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 12:35 PM
JunkieDog

da Vinci 81 - Doesn't sound like he's pissed so much at Mir as he is pissed that Mir has a legit reason to complain. Phone Post 3.0

Right. Always sucks to have the fight stopped just as you're fishing for underhooks.....

In your head, while sleeping.
9/6/13 12:37 PM
The Wizzle
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WARMASTA!!!!!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.