UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Why are the girls pulling out of ADCC?

9/6/13 10:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BigEyedFish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First Hanette pulls out because she was disrespected by the people running the show. Now Kyra is out. Anyone know what is going on? I wonder what happened to Hanette....
9/6/13 10:55 AM
BigEyedFish

Michelle Nicolini is gonna have to footlock herself at this rate
9/6/13 2:09 PM
checkuroil
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could be that they all synced their cycles and it is schedules for that time of the month Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 3:21 PM
Magic Mago

How was she disrespected? Phone Post
9/6/13 3:24 PM
BigEyedFish

I read something about the ADCC people never returning her calls and also the 'arab' culture toward women in general is reflected in how they deal with their competitors - something like that....I wonder why Kyra bailed...
9/6/13 5:30 PM
BJJBuster
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow interesting always wondered how they were with the girls but figured they musts treated them well. Hmmmm Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 6:43 PM
JSho
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigEyedFish - I read something about the ADCC people never returning her calls and also the 'arab' culture toward women in general is reflected in how they deal with their competitors - something like that....I wonder why Kyra bailed...
I'm not sure any of the organizing committee is Arab tho? It's primarily Scandinavians/Europeans and run by a Brit. Phone Post 3.0
9/6/13 6:49 PM
BigEyedFish

I found a quote. Not sure if its a translation or not tho...

“I talked to the promoter of the event, saying that people, especially women, deserve more respect. The lack of respect occurs more for females, because they do not care much for us. It is the culture of Arabs, not to highly value women. I think they asked me because of the pressure that I did, because Caroline De Lazzer is pregnant and she had said that she could not fight .”

full article  http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/hannette-staack-pulls-out-of-2013-adcc-the-organizers-dont-respect-me-female-competitors/

9/6/13 6:55 PM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They seem to begrudgingly allow women. They pay them less and every time they don't invite some of the people who obviously should have been invited. I've heard stories about really inconsiderate disrespect from more than one former ADCC competitor.

Plus, they bumped women back down to two weight divisions (-60kg/132lbs and +60kg/132lbs) in 2009, and there's no absolute any more. In 2007 they had 55kg/121lbs, 60kg/132lbs, 67kg/147lbs, and absolute. 60kg is a terrible weight class division for anybody who doesn't walk around at 65kg or so. It's bad for the the smaller girls because 60kg'ers are cutting from 65-67kg. So the 50kg girls who fought up to 55kg are giving up 10 or more kilos to the girls who are cutting from medio. Those who can't cut to 60kg are in a division with Gabi Garcia, who outweighs them by 50kg or more.

Too bad, too. I think Hannette is the only one who can beat Gabi. It would have been an exciting final.

9/6/13 7:19 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know the program is funded by sheiks. But isn't it a bunch of Brazilians that run it?
9/7/13 2:14 AM
BJJBuster
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

trianglegrrl -

They seem to begrudgingly allow women. They pay them less and every time they don't invite some of the people who obviously should have been invited. I've heard stories about really inconsiderate disrespect from more than one former ADCC competitor.

Plus, they bumped women back down to two weight divisions (-60kg/132lbs and +60kg/132lbs) in 2009, and there's no absolute any more. In 2007 they had 55kg/121lbs, 60kg/132lbs, 67kg/147lbs, and absolute. 60kg is a terrible weight class division for anybody who doesn't walk around at 65kg or so. It's bad for the the smaller girls because 60kg'ers are cutting from 65-67kg. So the 50kg girls who fought up to 55kg are giving up 10 or more kilos to the girls who are cutting from medio. Those who can't cut to 60kg are in a division with Gabi Garcia, who outweighs them by 50kg or more.

Too bad, too. I think Hannette is the only one who can beat Gabi. It would have been an exciting final.

Now I agree on the weight classes. They've had girls who fight like middle weight cut to the lower weight in adcc. So what's left for the small ones if the ibjjf middle weights are cutting down? That's almost all the women. Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 7:53 AM
Hywel Teague
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
Synado - I know the program is funded by sheiks. But isn't it a bunch of Brazilians that run it?
See Jsho's earlier post in this thread. Scandis Euros and a Brit is charge Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 7:55 AM
Biggy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Synado - I know the program is funded by sheiks. But isn't it a bunch of Brazilians that run it?
hell naw. I see the same intimidating faces at the score tables now as I did in the 2003 (or 2004) trials in Toronto - those doods were Arab Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 11:52 AM
Hywel Teague
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone else remember the big hooha with Cat Zingano at the 2011 ADCC? I think her husband / trainer wrote a pretty scathing open letter about how they treated her like shit Phone Post
9/7/13 11:57 AM
MickColins
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carlos Gracie would be disgusted by this. He never pulled out of anything.

/rimshot.

9/7/13 12:44 PM
Hywel Teague

Here's Kyra's statement, from Tatame.com.br

“Acho que eu já completei o meu objetivo em Abu Dhabi. Eu já tenho três títulos, lutei a primeira edição… Enfim, hoje minha vida está tomando um rumo diferente. Não estou mais focada em campeonatos como o ADCC”,

Quick translation:
"I feel that I already completed my goals in Abu Dhabu. I already have 3 titles, fought in the first edition... And so, today my life is taking a different route. I am no longer focused on championships like ADCC." Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 1:33 PM
Ridgeback

Wait. they are letting girls do jiu jitsu now?  Man, women ruin everything men try to do without them.

9/7/13 4:32 PM
Stubjj844
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't "respect" an athlete codeword for money, usually? Not that i'm saying the girls don't deserve to get paid as much as the men, cause they do! People don't usually come out and say "they ain't paying me enough!", cause it makes them sound hollow.
9/7/13 4:42 PM
BigEyedFish

Hywel Teague - Here's Kyra's statement, from Tatame.com.br

“Acho que eu já completei o meu objetivo em Abu Dhabi. Eu já tenho três títulos, lutei a primeira edição… Enfim, hoje minha vida está tomando um rumo diferente. Não estou mais focada em campeonatos como o ADCC”,

Quick translation:
"I feel that I already completed my goals in Abu Dhabu. I already have 3 titles, fought in the first edition... And so, today my life is taking a different route. I am no longer focused on championships like ADCC." Phone Post 3.0

makes one wonder if she isnt retiring...She isnt focusing on ADCC, she wont be in MMA. She winding things down maybe?
9/7/13 4:45 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

The women's prize money is WAY less than the men's. Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 5:00 PM
trianglegrrl
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stubjj844 - Isn't "respect" an athlete codeword for money, usually? Not that i'm saying the girls don't deserve to get paid as much as the men, cause they do! People don't usually come out and say "they ain't paying me enough!", cause it makes them sound hollow.

Oh, it goes far beyond money. (But I agree, obviously; the women should be paid the same.)

9/7/13 10:55 PM
countlphie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

most of the girls who get invitations got them pretty early in the year. when hannette didn't get one, she contacted them.

they didn't get back to her for 2 months, and only after several other women declined invitations (lana stefanac, and i think two others after her)

also, hannette committed to a tour of seminars in europe during the 2 months adcc was mum on her invitation.

the money she would lose by cancelling the europe tour to train and get ready for adcc is substantial compared to the purse winnings.

in the end, she told me the money had very little to do with it. it was the way they treated her throughout this invitation process, which is about as arbitrary and cloudy as the process they use to pick the locations for adcc.
9/8/13 2:14 AM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KDK1CallingKDK12 - The women's prize money is WAY less than the men's. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, but they do get a free Burka.
9/8/13 9:49 AM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Biggy - 
hell naw. I see the same intimidating faces at the score tables now as I did in the 2003 (or 2004) trials in Toronto - those doods were Arab Phone Post 3.0

I have seen a couple ADCC correspondence related to woman's travel and the name sounded Brazilian.
9/8/13 10:50 AM
Hywel Teague

BigEyedFish - 
Hywel Teague - Here's Kyra's statement, from Tatame.com.br

Quick translation:

makes one wonder if she isnt retiring...She isnt focusing on ADCC, she wont be in MMA. She winding things down maybe?

Absolutely. She's getting more and more involved in broadcasting here in Brazil, I think her competitive days are over

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.