UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> WSoF struggles to find support from NBC Sports

9/9/13 11:17 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

B/R's ever awesome Damon Martin did an extensive piece on the lack of support by broadcaster NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus) for the World Series of Fighting. While FOX is pushing the UFC heavily, and the Viacom owned Spike is doing the same for Bellator, WSoF is very nearly invisible on any NBC owned entity, including even Twitter.

World Series of Fighting debuted on the NBC Sports Network in November of 2012 and pulled in a respectable 198,000 viewers, but this was before their multi-fight deal was signed. Since that time, World Series of Fighting has increased viewership, pulling in 210,000 viewers for their second show, 201,000 viewers for the third show and most recently 264,000 viewers for their fourth show in August.

This is without virtually any notable support from the network itself, at least visibly on their website or through social media.

With a fight card less than a week away, the NBC Sports Network page currently set up for World Series of Fighting currently reflects the World Series of Fighting 4 card from August and videos from that night of fights.

Having a television partner in MMA has been crucial to the sport's overall success in the last eight years. The UFC signing a multi-million dollar deal with Fox Sports was considered a game changer in the industry, and since signing that deal the network has placed the sport prominently on all of their stations in terms of advertising as well as appearances during key NFL games and other sporting events.

Bellator was recently purchased by Viacom—the broadcast company that owns several major television networks including Spike TV, where the promotion is currently shown. It's hard to find a day or time where Spike TV isn't promoting Bellator or doing a cross-promotion advertisement with the company or its athletes.

Meanwhile, the NBC Sports Network can't seem to be bothered to even note that there is a fight card taking place on Saturday night.

Read entire article...

World Series Of Fighting 5
Revel Ovation Hall
Revel Beach, NJ
Sat, Sep 14, 2013 6:30 PM

Main Card (NBC Sports Network, 9 p.m. ET)
Andrei Arlovski vs. Mike Kyle
Dave Branch vs. Danillo Villefort - middleweight tournament semifinal
Elvis Mutapcic vs. Jesse Taylor - middleweight tournament semifinal
Rolles Gracie vs. Derrick Mehmen
Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Waylon Lowe

Prelim Card (MMAjunkie.com, 6 p.m. ET)
Rick Glenn vs. Artur Rofi
Ozzy Dugulubgov vs. Andrew Osbourne
Gregor Gracie vs. Richard Patishnock
Sidemar Honorio vs. Jimmie Rivera
Darren Costa vs. Neiman Gracie

9/9/13 11:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KickYoNuts
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good card too, what a shame they get no exposure even from the people who put them on their channel to begin with.

9/9/13 11:50 AM
JStrongMMA
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NBC hasn't pulled their weight on this deal from the very start. Offering a platform is simply not enough. Phone Post
9/9/13 11:54 AM
ColdKiller X
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no sympathy for this card

you don't put on an event the same night that floyd mayweather is fighting in the biggest combat sports event of the decade

9/9/13 11:55 AM
ChaosOverkill
736 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NBC sucks, they basically do Football well now and that's it.

9/9/13 12:02 PM
PrettyBoy
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC learned their lesson going head to head against Mayweather vs Marquez. WSOF just has horrible leadership. And not surprising half of their matchmakers/VP clients are fighting on this card... I'm sure for drastically inflated salaries that they could not earn anywhere else. Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 1:55 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes so sense. That channel has absolutely nothing else to show aside from the EPL. Nothing. There's no way whatever else they show would get more pull than WSOF.

Also, this and several other things make me think there's no way this promotion survives to the end of 2014. Phone Post
9/9/13 2:00 PM
ChaosOverkill
736 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - 

They should honestly go and try for CBS/Showtime they are dying to get back into MMA.

Viacom owns CBS

9/9/13 2:03 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WSOF is buried behind football, college football, F1, BPL soccer...after that it just seems like a bunch of fishing and other outdoor shows

9/9/13 3:14 PM
HITMAN DAN DIAZ
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great event i went to the last one and it was awesome and very well ran. met some of the guys that worked for it and they were all very nice and very polite and respectable guys. 

9/9/13 3:30 PM
Burt Reynoldz
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to see Rumble back in the UFC at 205.

9/9/13 3:42 PM
Tomato Can
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I skipped their last card because the matchups were pretty poor, but I think this one looks solid. It will have to go on the DVR though since it's at the same time as Mayweather/Canelo.

WSOF isn't really doing a great job in terms of scouting and matchmaking. Bellator has done a good job of finding talented prospects to build on, while WSOF is relying much more heavily on B and C-list veterans.
9/9/13 3:47 PM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry to hear this. I like WSOF and look forward to their events. Numbers haven't dropped so why has NBCs support?

Cindy

9/9/13 3:50 PM
MMAzombie

If and when this crashes I would like to see AA, Rumble, and Spong go to Bellator, I don't think UFC will call AA or Rumble and with Glory on Spike now with fighter sharing with Bellator I can see Spong moving over soon

But hopefully WSoF can survive Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 4:24 PM
Thuglife13
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If you hold an event the same day as a Mayweather event, you're gonna have a bad time..."
9/9/13 4:37 PM
Rob San Soo

Wsof is my 2nd fav mma org, hurts bellator . Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 6:53 PM
Authority Figure

This isn't about Mayweather this weekend. It's about WSoF all week, month and year. A promoter that doesn't promote is in breach of contract. 

9/9/13 7:19 PM
Chris27

NBC doesnt give a rats ass about them, they went and tried to do what SPike did once they lost the UFC and that is find any mma org they can get and hope they keep some of those fans who tuned in to watch UFC and WEC on Versus.

But they dont promote these events for shit.  This card is actually pretty solid, got Rofi, Rivera and Glenn on the prelims, all are legit prospects.  You got the MW tournament, AA/Kyle.  Georgi, rolles.

A shame they put it on the same night as Floyd/Canelo.  Def will DVR it.

9/9/13 7:43 PM
luctaro
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - 

This isn't about Mayweather this weekend. It's about WSoF all week, month and year. A promoter that doesn't promote is in breach of contract. 

NBC is a network not a promoter. WSOF is just programming in their network.

I doubt even the WSOF workers will be paying attention to this card. They will be watching Floyd card backstage.
9/10/13 12:29 PM
r_o_y

Wsof and pretty much all other mma in america just looks too much like ufc. It's all the same monotone production, same kind of cage, same kind of entrances. I want to see something different. It's just all BLAH.
9/10/13 2:18 PM
JimmersonzGlove
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brilliant move going up against Canelo vs PBF.

9/10/13 2:39 PM
mick713
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legacy Fighting Championship
MMA fans are a funny bunch. Friday night fights in boxing and now Monday night boxing are full of up and comers etc. and boxing fans still watch it because they like boxing. It is still in a ring and it looks a lot like any other boxing event but still gets very little to zero complaints. why is that and whats the difference between the fan base? I remember watching an unknown Manny Pacqiauo take a short notice fight back in the day and destroy his opponent in what was an upset at the time.
9/10/13 2:39 PM
mick713

Edited: 09/10/13 3:09 PM
Legacy Fighting Championship
__
9/10/13 11:51 PM
jsdaugh34
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They need to sign a few more fighters. A mix of names old and new. I would like to see Cro cop vs arlovski. NBC needs to promote this during commercials and put it with their boxing promotions so they feed off each other on ratings. They could also buyout a smaller org to bolster their roster, legacy....xfc.....
9/11/13 12:11 AM
RKing85
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know I will be watching on Saturday. Get me ready for the Mayweather fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.