UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rankings Update 9.9.13

9/9/13 10:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

After each live event, the UFC polls various members of the media to update its rankings in each weight division as well as the pound for pound rankings. 

With only a couple meaningful bouts at last week UFC on FOX Sports 1: Bader vs. Teixeira event the middleweight division is where we saw the most movement.

Middleweight Champion: Chris Weidman

1 Anderson Silva
2 Vitor Belfort
3 Ronaldo Souza +2
4 Michael Bisping
5 Mark Munoz +1
6 Yushin Okami -3
7 Costa Philippou
8 Luke Rockhold
9 Chael Sonnen
10 Tim Boetsch

With his second impressive win since joining the UFC ranks, Ronaldo Souza has quickly moved up the middleweight ranks, landing in third after impressively stopping Yushin Okami whom previously held the same spot.

9/10/13 4:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Middleweight rankings a little off.

Bisping should defintley not be 4, and if you are going to put Chael on the middleweight list, he is much higher, with his last loss coming from Anderson Silva. Given he has no fought at this weight class in 2 fights, if he is going to be ranked in this division, he deserves a higher spot, espicially if we are going to rank Bisping at 4.

C- Weidman

1. Anderson

2. Belfort

3. Souza

4. Philippou

5. Sonnen

6. Okami

7. Munoz

8. Rockhold

9. Bisping

10. Boetsch

9/10/13 6:47 AM
EckY
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These rankings are so flawed its laughable. The system they have in place to determine them obviously doesnt work correctly.
9/10/13 7:26 AM
AMartElbow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY - These rankings are so flawed its laughable. The system they have in place to determine them obviously doesnt work correctly.
The media vote Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 7:45 AM
BruceLeroysLowKick
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping at 4 blows my mind, though I do feel a bit sorry for him. Every one of his losses are to fighters who now fight at LHW. Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 7:47 AM
Jobe Watson the Gentleman
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least they got the champions spot on... Phone Post
9/10/13 7:50 AM
EckY
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AMartElbow - 
EckY - These rankings are so flawed its laughable. The system they have in place to determine them obviously doesnt work correctly.
The media vote Phone Post 3.0

Exactly, which simply makes it a flawed, flavour of the month, popularity contest between the the useless halfwits that make up the MMA media.
9/10/13 4:15 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

not sure how Bisping can be ranked higher than Chael.

9/10/13 4:32 PM
OctagonJitters
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio - 

Bisping should defintley not be 4, and if you are going to put Chael on the middleweight list, he is much higher, with his last loss coming from Anderson Silva. Given he has no fought at this weight class in 2 fights, if he is going to be ranked in this division, he deserves a higher spot, espicially if we are going to rank Bisping at 4.

C- Weidman

1. Anderson

2. Belfort

3. Souza

4. Philippou

5. Sonnen

6. Okami

7. Munoz

8. Rockhold

9. Bisping

10. Boetsch

Rankings are always subjective and it doesn't seem like the official rankings are even that important to the UFC as far as who gets the next title shot. I agree that Chael should be higher if you are going to consider him in the MW rankings. But if you are going to argue that Bisping should definitely not be #4, then what exactly has Philippou done that makes him that much more deserving of the ranking? Boetsch is his only big win, and I'd argue that Boetsch doesn't actually belong in the top 10 at this point anyways. Why would beating the #10 guy put him ahead of Sonnen (who beat the #6 and the #9 on your list while losing only to the #1 guy). Souza you have at #3, he's beat the #6 guy, but lost to #8. Why's he ahead of Sonnen? Okami is 1-3 against the other fighters on your list, beating the #7 guy but losing to #1, #5, & #10. Shouldn't he be ranked lower than say Rockhold, who beat the #3 ranked figher and his only loss in years was to the guy you've got ranked #2? I think everyone agrees Anderson is #1 after the champ Weidman, but that's just about all everyone agrees on; it's bordering on arbitrary how you rank the fighters after that. The official rankings seem about as justifiable as any other rankings I've seen out there lately.
9/10/13 5:00 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OctagonJitters -
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio - 

C- Weidman

1. Anderson

2. Belfort

3. Souza

4. Philippou

5. Sonnen

6. Okami

7. Munoz

8. Rockhold

9. Bisping

10. Boetsch

Rankings are always subjective and it doesn't seem like the official rankings are even that important to the UFC as far as who gets the next title shot. I agree that Chael should be higher if you are going to consider him in the MW rankings. But if you are going to argue that Bisping should definitely not be #4, then what exactly has Philippou done that makes him that much more deserving of the ranking? Boetsch is his only big win, and I'd argue that Boetsch doesn't actually belong in the top 10 at this point anyways. Why would beating the #10 guy put him ahead of Sonnen (who beat the #6 and the #9 on your list while losing only to the #1 guy). Souza you have at #3, he's beat the #6 guy, but lost to #8. Why's he ahead of Sonnen? Okami is 1-3 against the other fighters on your list, beating the #7 guy but losing to #1, #5, & #10. Shouldn't he be ranked lower than say Rockhold, who beat the #3 ranked figher and his only loss in years was to the guy you've got ranked #2? I think everyone agrees Anderson is #1 after the champ Weidman, but that's just about all everyone agrees on; it's bordering on arbitrary how you rank the fighters after that. The official rankings seem about as justifiable as any other rankings I've seen out there lately.
Vote up.

I was considering the streaks each fighter were on, the way they have lost their recent fight(s) at MW, and so on. Though after reading your post, realized I was wrong in areas. Thank you for the good read, good sir Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.