UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Evans ready to set aside friendship for business

9/9/13 10:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1033 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Fighting someone in the Octagon isn't always about wanting to hurt someone or beat up an adversary, sometimes it's just about business. When Rashad Evans mets Chael Sonnen at UFC 167, that's exactly what it comes down to for Evans:

"It's not manufactured (friendship), it's not false, I really do like Chael. Chael is a real good guy, I like Chael a lot. But, when it comes down to fighting, it's a business and I know that he is going to step into the cage 100-percent prepared for me, so I have to do the same. I can't go in there, like, ‘Oh, that's my buddy Chael.' No, Chael is going to try to whoop me. Chael is going to whoop me and be able to brag on me so I got to go out there and do what I need to do."

read entire article...

9/9/13 10:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LILBROCK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh he is huh? Funny
9/9/13 11:13 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to know he doesn't get offended when a friend is willing to fight him. That would be kind of ridiculous. Phone Post
9/9/13 11:14 PM
Root12
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This ones too damn easy to go for.... low hanging fruit. Phone Post
9/9/13 11:16 PM
IhaveDSL'SforPettis

Chael via decision Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 11:27 PM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

money over friends?

Sounds like a sellout to me.

9/9/13 11:30 PM
Trane

They're not real friends, they're more like business associate friends or colleague friends. I have friends at work but I don't hang out with them outside of work. This is the same thing, it's not like they go over to each other's houses for bbqs.
9/9/13 11:33 PM
kid chaos
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trane - They're not real friends, they're more like business associate friends or colleague friends. I have friends at work but I don't hang out with them outside of work. This is the same thing, it's not like they go over to each other's houses for bbqs.
They probably will after this fight Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 11:46 PM
FanToFighter
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trane - They're not real friends, they're more like business associate friends or colleague friends. I have friends at work but I don't hang out with them outside of work. This is the same thing, it's not like they go over to each other's houses for bbqs.
So does that make Chael and Anderson friends with benefits? Phone Post 3.0
9/9/13 11:48 PM
JStrongMMA

He needs to side step the friendship, imo. Phone Post
9/9/13 11:48 PM
Naderhood
800 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they have a good workin relationship that's fairly public so it would be too difficult and obvious to the fans if they tried to fake a beef to sell tix. Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 5:29 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't really like this fight at all for Chael.

I guess fighting Wandie did not make sense because of the rankings but it would still be a lot more fun to see (they probably book it after this one).

Anyways if Evans trains normal (seem unfortunately like a big if these days) i am afraid he beats Chael in a decision without to much trouble. The difference in strength and speed will just be to big.

I sort of get why Chael did not want to move back down (would have been a lot more fun though) but couldn't they make a more fun match-up at LWH for him. Seems to me he is '''taking one'' for the company onces again.

The trash talk will also be virtually none existent.After the Wandie vid that is more then a little disappointing. And its not like this fight has any real title implications either.
9/10/13 6:02 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 09/10/13 6:08 AM

Rashad has looks like he's slowed down alot.  I dont think he's got the cardio, hands or wrestling anymore to beat chael.  Rashad just stares at his oppononent most of the time now.

9/10/13 6:47 AM
GodSaveTheReem
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad is tough to gauge these days, he looked a little slow and tenative against hendo...but it is also hendo so you have to be careful. Then there was that "fight" against lil nog, which told us nothing. I think his whole game is based around speed, so while he is younger than chael his age (33) may have more of an effect on him.
9/10/13 7:49 AM
Naderhood
800 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flipmode -
MMALOGIC - 

Rashad has looks like he's slowed down alot.  I dont think he's got the cardio, hands or wrestling anymore to beat chael.  Rashad just stares at his oppononent most of the time now.

I got Rashad for all of the above reasons, better cardio, better wrestling, better and faster hands.

Sprawl 'n' box for 3 rounds.
Better wrasslin? Better cardio? You meant Chael, right? Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 8:06 AM
Flannerz
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad has looked awful in his last few fights. He has hardly engaged in striking and looked very tentative. Chael is the 'form' fighter for want of a better expression
9/10/13 8:31 AM
JStrongMMA

flipmode -
MMALOGIC - 

I got Rashad for all of the above reasons, better cardio, better wrestling, better and faster hands.

Sprawl 'n' box for 3 rounds.
Better wrestling? Phone Post
9/10/13 10:15 AM
DeuceDroppin

Hypocrite much? Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 12:29 PM
Bay Area

DeuceDroppin - Hypocrite much? Phone Post 3.0
Yeah but I think the main difference is that they aren't training partners. Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 7:06 PM
TexLadue

KingofBJJ -

Just heard sonnen earned $100k from UFN 28.  He hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of salary, he certainly has never held a championship or beat a former UFC champion.

Blasphemy! Chael has beaten three world champions! How dare you going sir, how dare you! Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 7:15 PM
LILBROCK

KingofBJJ - 

Just heard sonnen earned $100k from UFN 28.  He hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of salary, he certainly has never held a championship or beat a former UFC champion.

Not even a huge Sonnen fan, but he should be making WAY more than $100K per fight. If the UFC puts him in main events on FS1, it means they feel he is a draw. Dude should be making $1M a fight if he's headlining.
9/10/13 7:36 PM
HandyDarsh
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashads got too many friends Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 7:58 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I think Rashad wins a decision.
9/10/13 8:07 PM
JStrongMMA

KingofBJJ -

Serious? Phone Post
9/10/13 8:10 PM
Cole Can Grapple

Immaculata - I think Rashad wins a decision.
This. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.