UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Cruz coming back in early 2014

9/10/13 10:24 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1050 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During Tuesday's UFC 165 media conference call, UFC President Dana White revealed said that that Dominick Cruz, who has not competed since October 2011 due to continuing knee injuries, is expected to return to the UFC in early 2014. Should Cruz not be able to return at that point, he would at that point apparently relinquish his title.

“I certainly hope this is the last time we’re doing the interim title,” said White of UFC 165’s Renan Barao-Eddie Wineland interim bantamweight title bout. “We’re expecting his return at the beginning of the year, and if he can’t return at the beginning of the year, then we’re going to have to make a decision.”

For his part, Barao considers himself to the division champion.

"Certainly, Dominick's been out awhile. It's going to be two years now," said Barao. "I mean no disrespect to him, but from the moment I won this belt, and I have defended it once, I've considered myself champion for certain." 

What do you think UG? Who's the champ?

9/10/13 10:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willin
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally. I really hope it works out for Cruz - he's been through hell and he seems like a good guy. His MMA analysis is excellent. 

9/10/13 10:39 PM
FanToFighter
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope we can see him come back 100% so his fight with Renan is nothing short of Legendary Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 10:57 PM
Pessimist_Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Hell yeah Phone Post 3.0
9/10/13 11:24 PM
DWray
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as I admire Barao considering himself the champ, and as much as he may be the best fighter in the division, there's still an asterisk next to his reign thus far because he hasn't beaten the champion.

None of that is his fault, but still.
9/10/13 11:26 PM
jmont

very excited for his return, baroa vs cruz is a superfight imo two of my favourite fighters Phone Post
9/11/13 3:54 AM
JoeMimic
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao ftw. Phone Post
9/11/13 4:31 AM
Rtchamp15
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao is the champ. I like Dominic but I consider him the number 1 contender at this point. Phone Post
9/11/13 4:59 AM
time traveling 12er
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a really weird situation and I wonder if there's something we don't know behind the scenes that's allowing him to hold the title hostage like this. I'm not sure any champ could sit this long without losing his belt. Dominic has only fought in the UFC twice and is really holding the WEC title to begin with and was handed the title like Rhonda was. He's a great fighter but I have to wonder if there's some sort of contract stipulation that lets him keep the title while sitting for 3 years.
9/11/13 5:19 AM
Huntsman
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kazp306 -
Rtchamp15 - Barao is the champ. I like Dominic but I consider him the number 1 contender at this point. Phone Post
I dont even consider him the number 1 contender at this point. 3 years??? Its bullshit they even call him champion anymore. Phone Post
If you want to be the champ you gotta beat the champ.

I feel bad for Cruz. It's completely out of his control. Must be so frustrating being out that long. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 5:32 AM
Soul Gravy

Cruz who?
9/11/13 5:37 AM
Jonno

Renan is a beast who will enter p4p contention sooner rather than later. Dont feel Cruz's footwork will save him and he will will get caught by Barao. Phone Post
9/11/13 6:24 AM
TuLegit

Barao kills Dominick at this point. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 7:50 AM
Sinful1
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's good that Cruz is coming back , Now he can challenge the champ Barao for the tittle.
9/11/13 7:52 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to be interesting to see how bad the ring rust is. Pulling for Barao in this one.
9/11/13 7:55 AM
Herman Munster

Not convinced that he will.  He'll probably be stripped.

9/11/13 8:53 AM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he will probably lose due to mega cage rust, but he will rack up a few wins, get the feeling back, and get his belt back sometime in 2015. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 9:04 AM
Robbied01
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jackson_Junior -
ChokeEmOut -
DWray - As much as I admire Barao considering himself the champ, and as much as he may be the best fighter in the division, there's still an asterisk next to his reign thus far because he hasn't beaten the champion.

None of that is his fault, but still.
What's sad is how he has been the only interim champ to defend the belt ever let alone multiple times. Phone Post
Didn't nogeuria defend the interim agaisnt Tim sylvia Phone Post 3.0
No my fren, he won it against Sylvia and lost It to Frank Mir. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 9:36 AM
ugctt_warjimmiller
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao is such a tough comeback fight after so long. Renan finishes him IMO. I like dom too Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.