UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Arlovski: My chin is not weak

9/11/13 10:14 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Andrei Arlovski appeared recently on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show ahead of his fight Saturday night with Mike Kyle at World Series of Fighting 5.

“(Mike Kyle) gave some interview and he told that he was going to knock me f---ing out because I have a weak jaw, I have a glass chin," said Arlovski. "I don’t [think] it’s impossible to prove to him that he’s wrong.”

“Somebody asked me yesterday or two days ago [if Kyle’s remarks] pisses you off. Yeah, definitely, it pisses me off, but now I’ve kind of came down. But before, like probably two or three years ago, I was so mad because … in heavyweight division, it doesn’t really matter how strong your chin, because of one punch, one right hard fast punch in the jaw and the fight’s over. But anyway, listen, first of all, I have proved that my chin is okay when I fought first Antonio Silva and he landed a few good right hands straight in my face and I survived. And I survived in my fight against Anthony Johnson. So I guess he’s wrong. If Kyle has only one hope that I have a weak chin, he’s absolutely wrong.”

The talk about Arlovski's chin started when he was knocked out by Fedor Emelianenko in the first round, back in 2010. Next fight was another first round KO, to Brett Rogers, in 22 seconds. Then there was a decision loss to Bigfoot. and then Arlovski got knocked out by Sergei Kharitonov in the first round.

However, Arlovksi susequently won four straight (and one NC) before losing a decision to Anthony Johnson; Arlovksi didn't quit, despite suffering a broken jaw.

"When I saw Greg Jackson’s face after the first round, yeah. I knew something was wrong," said Arlovski of the Johnson fight. "Obviously I tried to close my mouth and it didn’t happen. I knew something was wrong with my jaw. I didn’t know that I broke my jaw in two places, but yeah.”

"Absolutely not," replied Arlovski on whether he thought of quitting. "I thought everything was going well except I can’t close my mouth. … I thought maybe right now I’m going to have a good punch and I’m going to knock him out. It didn’t happen, but to be honest with you, second, third round, every punch Anthony would throw at my head or in my chest, I felt like electricity -- [like] somebody put electricity in my body. It was so f---ing painful.”

“I flew back to Chicago and I had surgery the next day, so I was with a broken jaw another 24 hours. It was kind of funny like some scary movie. People tried to stop me at the airport and asked about some pictures, autographs and when they saw my face, [they said], ‘OK, never mind. Have a good day.’”

“Everybody asked me, ‘What happened?’ [I say] I was just hit by the car. They say, ‘Wow.’ They probably don’t understand my humor because I have kind of a different sense of humor. … At that time I tried to be positive and I tried to be funny too.”

Listen to entire interview... (2:12:23 mark)
Trasncription courtesy of Sherdog.

9/11/13 10:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
flyingtoehold
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping would knock him out! Phone Post
9/11/13 10:25 AM
grkblood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Show Radio, janitor

check your PMs flyingtoehold

9/11/13 10:29 AM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always a fan

Always scared he will get knocked out though. When hes on point he is still a killer Phone Post
9/11/13 10:45 AM
FOTN
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I worry about him, but there's no doubting he's a true fighter.
9/11/13 10:55 AM
Tehuna4president

flyingtoehold - Bisping would knock him out! Phone Post
Bisping can't even knock Overeem out with his best punch.. Phone Post
9/11/13 10:56 AM
Xuh
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The talk about Arlovski's chin started when he was knocked out by Fedor Emelianenko in the first round, back in 2010."

pretty sure people were talking about it before then.
9/11/13 11:11 AM
kungfugrip
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

has be ever been ko'd by a "weak" punch? I've seen him get ko'd, but usually been pretty strong strike
9/11/13 11:28 AM
Snayke13
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee - Always a fan

Always scared he will get knocked out though. When hes on point he is still a killer Phone Post
I feel the same. Kick his ass saturday Arlovski! Phone Post
9/11/13 11:43 AM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the last thing he needs.

Now he's gonna take punches to the head just to prove he has a good chin. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:52 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - has be ever been ko'd by a "weak" punch? I've seen him get ko'd, but usually been pretty strong strike

From what I remember he tends to get stunned, then crumpled with the power shot that gets launched soon after.
9/11/13 11:55 AM
MarkRobinson
1143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - has be ever been ko'd by a "weak" punch? I've seen him get ko'd, but usually been pretty strong strike
Iirc, Second fight against Tim Sylvia it looked like a pretty light punch that put him out.

That's when the chin talk started. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:59 AM
I_lov3_JUSTIN_BIEBER

Beat Kyle! Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 12:19 PM
EckY
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair he has only ever been KOd by massive punchers.
9/11/13 12:21 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for Andre! Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 12:24 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY - To be fair he has only ever been KOd by massive punchers.
Very true.

On top of everything he's fighting in the HW division where everyone has power. Phone Post
9/11/13 12:25 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His chin isn't particularly weak... He's fighting heavy-handed heavyweights, only very rare heavyweight fighters are able to sustain heavy punishment from their peers.

His problem is his defense. He lets himself get tagged too much, and he backs straight up to avoid further punishment, instead of moving laterally. I think he's too far into his career to improve his defense now, but that was always his major flaw. Offensively gifted, defensively retarded. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 12:28 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/11/13 12:29 PM

Arlovski/Sylvia II changed him.

In complete control, Tim hurt badly,Andre moves in for the kill and gets clocked. Face plant, fight over. It wasn't a weak chin, it was leaving himself wide open (much like Barry did vs. Kongo). He seemed to became way too apprehensive (gun shy) after that - remember the 3rd Sylvia fight? It seemed like the only thing Andre cared about was not getting hit.

9/11/13 12:30 PM
OGT
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cringe every time he gets knocked out now. I really hope he doesn't have serious complications later in life, his head has been through hell and back Phone Post
9/11/13 1:41 PM
ProteinOverdrive

It's not about the chin, it's just that Andrei does not see punches coming.
9/11/13 2:04 PM
THERE WAS A GLITCH IN THE MATRiX
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kevsh - 

Arlovski/Sylvia II changed him.

In complete control, Tim hurt badly,Andre moves in for the kill and gets clocked. Face plant, fight over. It wasn't a weak chin, it was leaving himself wide open (much like Barry did vs. Kongo). He seemed to became way too apprehensive (gun shy) after that - remember the 3rd Sylvia fight? It seemed like the only thing Andre cared about was not getting hit.

this
9/11/13 2:11 PM
Domingo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arlovski's chin is no different than most other heavyweights.
His issue is that he only goes forward or in reverse, and when he's moving in either direction, he doesn't protect himself.

Heavyweights all hit hard enough to KO people. We've seen almost all of the greats get full-on blasted at least once.
The key is how often they put themselves in that position, especially when they're in their prime.
9/11/13 2:22 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well he hasn't a reputation for a great chin, and, as mentioned already, his offense is great but his defense is subpar, so he gets tagged a lot. And in the HW division, that's an even worse weakness than in any other weightclass.
9/11/13 2:22 PM
Jason Reinhardt
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arlovski, If your chin was truly WEAK, you wouldn't still have a job as a prizefighter for all these years WARRIOR!! Don't listen to any of this BS. Stay off the damn internet, don't listen to negative comments, do your thing you've been doing for years and go get YOUR much DESERVED WIN!! You got this!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.