UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Riddle: I don't want anything to do with MMA

9/11/13 10:57 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Riddle recently retired at age 27 following a seven-year-long, strange trip through mixed martial arts.

Riddle's professional MMA debut was in the UFC, a brutal, jaw-breaking knockout of Dan Simmler in elimination round of The Ultimate Fighter 7 back in 2008. The sound of it remains in many fan's ears. Riddle went on to go a very respectable 7-3 in the UFC, with two No Contests. The NCs were due to positive tests for marijuana; Riddle has a medical marijauna card, but still ran afoul of regulations prohibiting use of the drug.

Following his second positive test in Feb, Riddle was released by the UFC, and was signed by Legacy FC. Bellator bought out his contract, and scheduled him in an upcoming welterweight tournament, but then an injury kept him out of it. The next Bellator tournament is in Jan, but no singles fights were available, so Riddle is done.

In an interview with MMA Junkie, Riddle reflects...

"When Bellator bought out my contract they said, 'We're family, we take care of our own'" said Riddle. "But then I crack a rib two weeks out from a fight and ask for an extension, like Joe Warren got, and I get told no. Then I ask if I can fight before the end of the year and I get told no on that. I've got three kids, man. When they bought me out of the Legacy contract, that was back in May. They kept me on the bench from May until September. I got hurt for September and now they say they can't get me a fight until January or February. The bottom line is, I've got a wife and three kids. I've got bills I have to pay."

"I said it to them, I told them that if I couldn't get a fight by the end of the year, I need to retire and get a full-time job. They were like, 'Well, we can't.' Really? Viacom can't? Bellator can't? OK, I guess I need to retire then."

"I'm just tired of the unethical people, the scumbags, all that. Maybe that's how all businesses are run, but in MMA I've been in the UFC, Legacy and Bellator. The UFC was the best, and even they didn't treat you that well. It just gets sh---ier on the way down. I'd rather get a real job, do some BJJ, get my black belt and compete in some tournaments. And maybe I will fight in a year or two. But right now I'm so fed up with the people that run this sport, I don't want anything to do with it."

Read entire article...

9/11/13 11:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DreamSTi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he would have laid off the reefer he would still be in the UFC. Stop being a cry baby, Matt.
9/11/13 11:02 AM
EckY
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a very smart guy.
9/11/13 11:05 AM
UGCTT croy_00
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is really unfortunate, but he did bring this upon himself. At least he is man enough to know what he has to do to take care of his family, instead of hanging on too long.

9/11/13 11:07 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

pot/kettle when talking about scumbags in mma. just sayin.

9/11/13 11:10 AM
kungfugrip

I see him changing his mind in 2-4 weeks. This sounds like a tantrum not official retirement to me
9/11/13 11:10 AM
Willin
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't this the dope who ripped Dana after the UFC cut him because he couldn't find the self control to smoke weed in the weeks leading up to his fight for which he knew he'd be drug tested?

Now he's saying other people in the business are seedy?

Who's the idiot here? Phone Post
9/11/13 11:11 AM
StephenLangdown
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good on him for realizing his family comes first. However I'm sure he could make some money? Teaching classes, personal training etc to tie up till he fights in Jan/Feb? Either way I wish him the best. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:12 AM
El Ninja
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So a 27 year old father of 3 is forced to get a job to support his family. Welcome to adulthood. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:12 AM
StephenLangdown
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - I see him changing his mind in 2-4 weeks. This sounds like a tantrum not official retirement to me
I agree. Hope he finds some short term gig and keeps fighting. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:15 AM
MountainMedic
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tantrum

Kid has no real world skills. He'll fight again.

And I like the guy, but I have to be honest. Phone Post
9/11/13 11:17 AM
Dominique Robinson
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Despite his bad choices he's right about the people n this biz Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:18 AM
devilishstoner
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like Bellator called his bluff.
9/11/13 11:19 AM
sockeye
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better hope his new job doesn't test for drugs Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 11:28 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

"welcome to mcdonalds, may I take your order?" is in his future.

9/11/13 11:41 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a lot of love for mister Riddle here....

Perhaps he doesn't deserve it considering his stupidity (its really hard to call failing a drug test twice anything else).

Having said that though i do think he has been threated rather harshly at times.The dude was on a four fight win streak (sorry by NC due to weed use is a still a win in my book). He was decent enough to view.And lets face it,he was more skilled then a lot of fighters currently out there,including the UFC (they keeped some rather horrible people on their roster). But if you antagonize the company president and then still fuck up afterwards you margin of error isn't that big.

Still why i am rather taken aback by this retirement is that,once again,someone quits the sport of MMA because there is just not enough money going around. First it worries the fuck out of me that Bellator is not even able to give this dude a fight. Secondly it amazes my that the market for MMA sponsorship seems to have completely crumbled. And that is a rather sad thing because you would think that with both Viacom and Fox involvement (plus all the others) there would be a remarkable upturn in interest from more blue chip like companies. Why is nobody doing an investigative piece about this.
9/11/13 11:46 AM
Feelz Good

Edited: 09/11/13 11:57 AM
Bellator should give him a fight or let him take one fight elsewhere. They claim to be the ethical nice guys in MMA, with all the shit they've taken recently, this is a great chance for some good PR. Who the hell is even handling Bellator's PR these days, Tito? I don't get what they're doing, in so many ways.

Here you have a good fighter who was cut from the UFC (for bonehead decisions), dislikes the UFC, a father of three, and you don't take this opportunity to make yourselves look good? With the Vegh incident, Eddie's issues, being on the cusp of an Askren controversy, your ppv headlined by former UFC stars passed their primes, what the fuck are these guys thinking!

I'm not trying to say Matt deserves some great treatment, he smoked weed and later got injured, that's life. It's just Bellator's reaction to this makes zero sense. HEY BJORN, the universe has lobbed you a softball, knock this shit out of the park.
9/11/13 11:50 AM
Karl Olsson
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt is talking with so much emotion in this interview.

I see him coming back sooner then a few years atleast.
9/11/13 11:53 AM
Jacinto

I have a feeling he is gonna be rather disappointed with his job opportunities outside of MMA.
9/11/13 11:53 AM
Ramsey

Why does this nimrod continue to get thread worry and front page worthy attention. Did he have some underrated amazing career that I have yet to discover? Please enlighten me. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 12:00 PM
likatiga
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Getting a job to support his family is the first time I've heard this guy taking responsibility for something.

Good for him. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 12:04 PM
ranier wolfcastle
673 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in the meantime i recommend he spend his pot money on his kids instead

9/11/13 12:17 PM
BrattMamley
850 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramsey - Why does this nimrod continue to get thread worry and front page worthy attention. Did he have some underrated amazing career that I have yet to discover? Please enlighten me. Phone Post 3.0
He is on a nice little win streak. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 12:18 PM
LILBROCK

Can someone explain how this is Bellators problem? He said they kept him out of a fight since May. He tested positive for the 2nd time in February and I believe he got a 6 month suspension (He's lucky it wasn't a year like Nick got). That means his suspension was up in August. One month after the suspension, they have a fight for him on September 20th. He got hurt and needed to back out so they said, we'll have one for you in January when the next tournament starts.

If he just cracked a rib, when can he fight and begin training again? He conveniently left that out. Say he's out for 6-8 weeks, which is entirely plausible broken ribs. That brings him to the end of October/early November. An 8 week training camp brings him into January, when they said they could get him a fight.

Why can't he schedule seminars while he's injured? Teach privates? Teach classes? That would probably pay him more that getting a "regular" job and starting at the bottom.
9/11/13 12:19 PM
I LOVE GSP

Hope to see him back soon. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.