UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> MMA books

9/11/13 6:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
disco dave
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello people I have been lurking here for some time and think this is just the place to help me. I am trying to find some MMA books as the thread title suggests and was hoping people here will have some titles for me. I am actually researching the development of MMA for a uni project/book I am writing and so am not interested in instructionals just early fighter biographies and any books on the history of MMA or MMA in general. Also any articles or documentaries that people think are informative would be well recieved. Many thanks in advance to anyone that helps.

Dave
9/11/13 6:21 PM
Wilson_20

Bj penns is a good book. Could be useful because he was part of the ufc before and after tuf so it could be useful in that sense Phone Post 3.0
9/11/13 6:28 PM
teamquestnorth

No holds barred by clyde gentry. This is the best book ever written about mma. It also focuses on the early days of the ufc and mma. This is a must read trust me. Give me a shout out in the acknowledgements is all im asking Phone Post
9/11/13 7:01 PM
DiscipleDojo
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're looking for research/history of MMA, get your hands on "Mastering Jujitsu" by Renzo Gracie and John Danaher. It's incredibly informative.

9/11/13 7:13 PM
phydeau
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's this thing called The Fighter's Notebook...
9/11/13 9:40 PM
CowboysStuntDouble
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoyed 'Blood in the Cage'
It focuses on Pat Militech and the earlier days of MMA Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 12:11 AM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely pick up Raw Combat By Jim Genia. Great read about underground MMA in NYC. You'll find a few familiar faces in there. Phone Post
9/12/13 12:17 AM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
9/12/13 3:12 PM
disco dave

Thanks a lot for the replies there are some books here I have never heard of and I had forgot all about BJ Penns book. I knew there would be some good suggestions from the Undergound. Thanks again!

Dave
9/12/13 5:00 PM
RKing85
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have yet to read a MMA biography book that I would classify as good.

Stann and Pulver's were the best, but they were good because of the non-MMA parts in them.
9/12/13 5:10 PM
MrMead
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Total MMA, by Jonathan Snowden

Inside The Lions Den

Fighters Heart, Sam Sheridan
9/12/13 6:53 PM
ironmik
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/12/13 6:54 PM
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&gbh=1&CurrentPage=MyeBayAllSelling&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK:MESX<br /><br /><br />Selling a bunch on ebay right now under books / self defense<br />

oops... mostly instructionals...
9/12/13 10:43 PM
DiscipleDojo
602 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This book by Dave Mayeda was also an interesting read from a sociological perspective: http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Acceptance-Martial-Violence-American/dp/0595478913

(The fact that it has Mayhem on the cover is somewhat prescient in light of recent events as well)

9/12/13 10:55 PM
teamquestnorth

DiscipleDojo -

This book by Dave Mayeda was also an interesting read from a sociological perspective: http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Acceptance-Martial-Violence-American/dp/0595478913

(The fact that it has Mayhem on the cover is somewhat prescient in light of recent events as well)

Sweet thats mayhem in superbrawl. Does this book go into detail about the hawaii fight scene? Phone Post
9/12/13 11:31 PM
ohpossum
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary Goodridge Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 11:53 PM
devilishstoner
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second "A Fighter's Heart" by Sam Sheridan.

Will have to check out some of the others mentioned, I love this stuff.
9/12/13 11:55 PM
FanToFighter
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 1:58 AM
JimmersonzGlove
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brawl should be the first MMA book you read. Phone Post
9/13/13 5:28 AM
SteezeIrwinJr
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blood in the cage is dope.

It's about the early days and its focused on pat miletich Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 3:31 PM
DiscipleDojo

teamquestnorth - 
DiscipleDojo -

Sweet thats mayhem in superbrawl. Does this book go into detail about the hawaii fight scene? Phone Post

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, it mostly interviews fighters and discusses the sociology and violence in culture in regard to how affects MMA and vice versa. I read it a few years ago so I can't remember many specifics.

9/13/13 6:35 PM
SecondBase
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A Fighters Heart is great. As for documentaries I like Smashing Machine and Choke.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.