UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How would Penn/Mendes play out?

9/12/13 10:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Call it...
9/12/13 10:36 AM
XcessiveZ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Today the safer bet would be Mendes by decision.He looked amazing in the Guida fight.His wrestling looked as sharp as ever and his striking took another step forward.Penn has never fought at 45 before and hasn't looked great in years.Prime Penn that fought guys like Sanchez and Florian would have a good shot at finishing Mendes though,one of the GOATS during that LW title run. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 10:40 AM
Larry Appleton
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes would own the King of Hilo Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 11:12 AM
IGOTBELCHED

Mendes would beat penn at any stage of his career, hate on me if you want but thats my honest opinion, he'd be far too much for bj.
9/12/13 11:48 AM
JROTT
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes has been fed mostly cans, and while I admit Guida was an impressive win, a prime BJ would box him up easy... But it's not a "prime" type of question.. So Bj wins a hard fought 3 rounder by taking the first 2 rounds before gassing Phone Post
9/12/13 11:52 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes has looked great recently but hasn't fought any of the elite featherweights on his current streak. I don't see him knocking out Penn. Although I don't really know what to expect from Penn fighting in a weight class he belongs in again, Mendes would be the favorite for his speed. Phone Post
9/12/13 11:55 AM
CaliKush
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can control distance to win by dec Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 11:57 AM
caseharts
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Mendes handles him. He's the best wrestler be would have fought ever. People keep saying he hasn't beaten the top guys at fw on this Current run... Because he ran through them in his previous run. Phone Post
9/12/13 12:29 PM
JStrongMMA

Mendes is the best featherweight in the world, imo. He is only getting better and he would probably beat BJ everywhere. Phone Post
9/12/13 1:37 PM
MediumRareMistake
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - Mendes handles him. He's the best wrestler be would have fought ever. People keep saying he hasn't beaten the top guys at fw on this Current run... Because he ran through them in his previous run. Phone Post
He's fought some pretty damn good wrestlers IMO GSP Hughes Fitch Sherk Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 2:30 PM
kingkoopa

BJ by 1st rnd sub after rocking Mendez Phone Post
9/12/13 2:32 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - Mendes handles him. He's the best wrestler be would have fought ever. People keep saying he hasn't beaten the top guys at fw on this Current run... Because he ran through them in his previous run. Phone Post
I think you're taking the team alpha male love a little bit far to say he's a better wrestler than elite wrestlers who outweigh him by 30+ pounds that Penn has fought. Phone Post
9/12/13 2:35 PM
caseharts
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
MediumRareMistake -
He's fought some pretty damn good wrestlers IMO GSP Hughes Fitch Sherk Phone Post 3.0
None are near as good of wrestlers. Maybe Sherk maybe Phone Post
9/12/13 2:37 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
I think you're taking the team alpha male love a little bit far to say he's a better wrestler than elite wrestlers who outweigh him by 30+ pounds that Penn has fought. Phone Post
Penn never fight a guy with his wrestling pedigree or ability. I'm not diminishing Penn at all. People don't get how Good Mendes is. Especially his wrestling Phone Post
9/12/13 2:44 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

caseharts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Penn never fight a guy with his wrestling pedigree or ability. I'm not diminishing Penn at all. People don't get how Good Mendes is. Especially his wrestling Phone Post
You think he's better than Fitch, Hughes, Machida, and GSP pound for pound or straight up just better? Phone Post
aka_rtotheoh

BJ by superior flexibility. Phone Post
bshaw1979

I really think round 1 would be tough for Mendes to handle with BJ. Bj The only time Bj ever really gassed was at 70 , let alone 45. Lol at people thinking Mendes is going to ko Bj.
9/12/13 2:45 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
caseharts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
You think he's better than Fitch, Hughes, Machida, and GSP pound for pound or straight up just better? Phone Post
In a pure wrestling match I think he can pin them all. In mma I think he can take them all Dien except gsp and machida Phone Post
9/12/13 2:51 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
Hahahaha best wrestler? How about GSP? How about Matt Hughes? Jon Fitch? Frankie Edgar? Mendes isn't taking down Penn. don't be surprised if Penn takes down Mendes. He took down Jon Fitch and even Rory McDonald. If he gets his hands on Mendes he will take him down Phone Post 3.0
I don't think you know how much better of a college wrestler he was than they were. Phone Post
9/12/13 2:52 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
I love Fitch but anyone arguing Fitch is a better wrestler than Chad Mendes had know idea what they're talking about. Phone Post
9/12/13 3:02 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

caseharts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
caseharts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
In a pure wrestling match I think he can pin them all. In mma I think he can take them all Dien except gsp and machida Phone Post
Okay, I assumed when you said best wrestler he ever fought you were talking about in MMA, not an amateur wrestling match. Seeing someone who wasn't as talented in amateur wrestling taking down the stronger amateur wrestler isn't really terribly uncommon in MMA.

Penn would probably get taken down in a fight against Mendes some but I know it's not impossible to stop his takedowns with good defence. And I don't think Mendes could keep Penn on the ground once he got him there. Phone Post
9/12/13 3:02 PM
bshaw1979

If Bj gets top control it would be game over.
9/12/13 3:03 PM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP is far and away a much better MMA wrestler then Mendes. There is no one to point to that GSP has not taken down. And that includes wrestlers with better pedigree then Mendes.

I think Mendes is clearly the second best fighter at FW but lets not go overboard. He has fought a lot of cans since his loss to Aldo. I would def favor Mendes over BJ at this point.
9/12/13 3:23 PM
Brabatross

Mendes KO round 1. Not really sure how it plays out any other way... Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 3:57 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
1a1 - GSP is far and away a much better MMA wrestler then Mendes. There is no one to point to that GSP has not taken down. And that includes wrestlers with better pedigree then Mendes.

I think Mendes is clearly the second best fighter at FW but lets not go overboard. He has fought a lot of cans since his loss to Aldo. I would def favor Mendes over BJ at this point.
Besides koshcheck who has a beget pedigree that transitioned to mma as well as mendes Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.