UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How would Penn/Mendes play out?

9/12/13 3:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
caseharts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
caseharts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
caseharts - Mendes handles him. He's the best wrestler be would have fought ever. People keep saying he hasn't beaten the top guys at fw on this Current run... Because he ran through them in his previous run. Phone Post
I think you're taking the team alpha male love a little bit far to say he's a better wrestler than elite wrestlers who outweigh him by 30+ pounds that Penn has fought. Phone Post
Penn never fight a guy with his wrestling pedigree or ability. I'm not diminishing Penn at all. People don't get how Good Mendes is. Especially his wrestling Phone Post
You think he's better than Fitch, Hughes, Machida, and GSP pound for pound or straight up just better? Phone Post
In a pure wrestling match I think he can pin them all. In mma I think he can take them all Dien except gsp and machida Phone Post
Okay, I assumed when you said best wrestler he ever fought you were talking about in MMA, not an amateur wrestling match. Seeing someone who wasn't as talented in amateur wrestling taking down the stronger amateur wrestler isn't really terribly uncommon in MMA.

Penn would probably get taken down in a fight against Mendes some but I know it's not impossible to stop his takedowns with good defence. And I don't think Mendes could keep Penn on the ground once he got him there. Phone Post
I feel like Mendes has fought guys with better ground games and wrestling games but bj is bj. I just think Mendes would be stronger faster more explosive and have ridiculous cardio. Bj is a more technical striker and a better bjjer but I feel Chad has an answer to all of that Phone Post
9/12/13 4:22 PM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prime BJ beats Mendes current BJ I'm. It so sure Mendes has a real chance ins. Rematch against Aldo IMO Phone Post
9/12/13 4:34 PM
caseharts
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts - Mendes handles him. He's the best wrestler be would have fought ever. People keep saying he hasn't beaten the top guys at fw on this Current run... Because he ran through them in his previous run. Phone Post
Hahahaha best wrestler? How about GSP? How about Matt Hughes? Jon Fitch? Frankie Edgar? Mendes isn't taking down Penn. don't be surprised if Penn takes down Mendes. He took down Jon Fitch and even Rory McDonald. If he gets his hands on Mendes he will take him down Phone Post 3.0
I don't think you know how much better of a college wrestler he was than they were. Phone Post
Who cares about college wrestling, gsp didnt even wrestle in college so don't bring up college wrestling. Chad Mendes being the great wrestler he was couldn't even keep aldo down or more then a second. Phone Post 3.0
Gsp is the exception to that rule. Don't kid yourself. You're I'll informed of you think otherwise. Phone Post
9/12/13 4:35 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
1a1 - GSP is far and away a much better MMA wrestler then Mendes. There is no one to point to that GSP has not taken down. And that includes wrestlers with better pedigree then Mendes.

I think Mendes is clearly the second best fighter at FW but lets not go overboard. He has fought a lot of cans since his loss to Aldo. I would def favor Mendes over BJ at this point.
Besides koshcheck who has a beget pedigree that transitioned to mma as well as mendes Phone Post
Daniel Cormier, Johnny Hendricks, Ben Askren, Phil Davis, Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, Gray Maynard Phone Post 3.0
I forgot to add. THAT'S FOUGHT BJ. But you wernt apart of that convo. And even the guys you named. They haven't all transitioned as well. Phone Post
9/12/13 4:37 PM
snookerbank
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ would win by sidestepping Phone Post
9/12/13 4:39 PM
Mr Sponge
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a in shape and ready Bj Penn shows up, he takes it by second sub. If out of shape Penn shows up hes gonna take a beating. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 4:43 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
MediumRareMistake -
He's fought some pretty damn good wrestlers IMO GSP Hughes Fitch Sherk Phone Post 3.0
None are near as good of wrestlers. Maybe Sherk maybe Phone Post
Get chads nuts out of your mouth cause he's no where close to gsp in terms of MMA wrestling. Dude looked like a fish out of water trying to take down Aldo. Frankie Edgar had more success in taking Aldo down then Mendes. GSP has never had a problem taking anyone down and I still doubt chad can take aldo down Phone Post 3.0
,Phone Post
9/12/13 4:43 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
Jackson_Junior -
Hahahaha best wrestler? How about GSP? How about Matt Hughes? Jon Fitch? Frankie Edgar? Mendes isn't taking down Penn. don't be surprised if Penn takes down Mendes. He took down Jon Fitch and even Rory McDonald. If he gets his hands on Mendes he will take him down Phone Post 3.0
I don't think you know how much better of a college wrestler he was than they were. Phone Post
Who cares about college wrestling, gsp didnt even wrestle in college so don't bring up college wrestling. Chad Mendes being the great wrestler he was couldn't even keep aldo down or more then a second. Phone Post 3.0
Gsp is the exception to that rule. Don't kid yourself. You're I'll informed of you think otherwise. Phone Post
Such a good wrestler haha tell that to Aldo Phone Post 3.0
Phone Post
9/12/13 4:47 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes is great, but prime BJ had best TD defense and killer hands.

Mendes is on a roll right now but he had one good win against Guida (who was tailor made for him), a great win against Elkins (i'll give him that), other were overmatched guys that had no business in there with Chad. So, he is great but he is not that great we could say he beats Penn 100% sure.
9/12/13 4:53 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
Jackson_Junior -
Such a good wrestler haha tell that to Aldo Phone Post 3.0
Phone Post
How about you show the entire part where Chad does take Jose down but then Jose gets up a second later Phone Post 3.0
Are you ignoring the cheating?
Yes aldo is great he has some of the best tdd in history he's only behind gsp And Jones to my knowledge.

You are hating on Mendes. Phone Post
9/12/13 4:55 PM
RKing85
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mendes for sure.

Not excited about this forthcoming UFC run for Penn.
9/12/13 4:57 PM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to get off topic, but that clip has lead some ill informed fans to go so far as to say "if Aldo had not held the fence Mendes would have kept him down and grind out a win"

Considering two seconds later Chad had him in the exact same position and Aldo popped back up I am not sure what you are trying to reference in that clip.

No one is arguing Mendes isnt a fantastic wrestler but you really can not coompare him to GSP at this point. When Mendes takes down other elite wrestlers with ease then we can talk. Up to this point it is not based on evidence.
9/12/13 4:59 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
1a1 - Not to get off topic, but that clip has lead some ill informed fans to go so far as to say "if Aldo had not held the fence Mendes would have kept him down and grind out a win"

Considering two seconds later Chad had him in the exact same position and Aldo popped back up I am not sure what you are trying to reference in that clip.

No one is arguing Mendes isnt a fantastic wrestler but you really can not coompare him to GSP at this point. When Mendes takes down other elite wrestlers with ease then we can talk. Up to this point it is not based on evidence.
See people are white knighting the cheating.

You don't know he'd pop right back up just because on another take down he did.

Regardless.

He's taken down or koed everyone he's fought. Phone Post
9/12/13 5:13 PM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think Im white knighting. I am actually agreeing with most of your points. The only point of contention is that he has not taken down and kept down elite wrestlers or people with elite takedown defense. I still think Mendes is largely untested at the elite level. He looks great but I think we should hold off on putting him near GSP or Jones until he proves it at an elite level.

With that said I think the UFC is handling him right. He is young and can be the future of the division. No need to put him against Aldo again right away. Especially if Aldo moves up. What if they fight again and he loses a close decision then Aldo moves up. Then you would have the clear numb 1 guy miles away from another title shot. He should get a guy like Zombie or Lamas. A good fight which he would likely win.
9/12/13 5:17 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
1a1 - I dont think Im white knighting. I am actually agreeing with most of your points. The only point of contention is that he has not taken down and kept down elite wrestlers or people with elite takedown defense. I still think Mendes is largely untested at the elite level. He looks great but I think we should hold off on putting him near GSP or Jones until he proves it at an elite level.

With that said I think the UFC is handling him right. He is young and can be the future of the division. No need to put him against Aldo again right away. Especially if Aldo moves up. What if they fight again and he loses a close decision then Aldo moves up. Then you would have the clear numb 1 guy miles away from another title shot. He should get a guy like Zombie or Lamas. A good fight which he would likely win.
K I apologize. I've never called for him to get the next shot. He's above kz. But lamas I'd love to see. Though I think Mendes handles him. Maybe porier orb cub but he handled cub already Phone Post
9/12/13 5:18 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
I will say this. I think he's by far the number 2 fw. No one compares to him Imo. Kz. No. Lamas eh. Cub nope. Porier not really. But aldo yes Phone Post
9/12/13 5:20 PM
Silverball
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A sucked up Kenny Florian went five rounds with Aldo, while Mendes couldn't make it out of the first. MMA math, true, but let's not get crazy with the 'Mendes beats any version of BJ' talk. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 5:21 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Silverball - A sucked up Kenny Florian went five rounds with Aldo, while Mendes couldn't make it out of the first. MMA math, true, but let's not get crazy with the 'Mendes beats any version of BJ' talk. Phone Post 3.0
Mendes would beat ken flo at any time. Phone Post
9/12/13 5:24 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
But I agree I don't know if Mendes could beat any bj. Time will tell. The fw division is so crazy right now. Phone Post
9/12/13 5:26 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Jackson_Junior -
caseharts -
1a1 - Not to get off topic, but that clip has lead some ill informed fans to go so far as to say "if Aldo had not held the fence Mendes would have kept him down and grind out a win"

See people are white knighting the cheating.

You don't know he'd pop right back up just because on another take down he did.

Regardless.

He's taken down or koed everyone he's fought. Phone Post
Frankie Edgar couldn't keep Aldo down and this is a guy whose outwrestled the likes of Benson, BJ Penn, Maynard. No way Mendes is a better wrestler then Edgar in mma Phone Post 3.0
I think Mendes would put him on his ass.

The best wrestler you mentioned was gray who didn't nearly as far in the ncaa tournament as Chad and his style isn't as good for mma Imo.

Benson was a naia wrestler. While different ball game but Benson showed so much through his will and technique which took him to the next level Phone Post
9/12/13 5:27 PM
claw11
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jackson_Junior -
You're a fuckin idiot! Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 5:28 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Edgar has experience sure but I think Mendes is way faster. Phone Post
9/12/13 5:29 PM
claw11
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - Edgar has experience sure but I think Mendes is way faster. Phone Post
And Mendes is about 10 times a better athlete than Edgar! No one has even gotten close to taking him down in god knows how long! Man people are stupid! Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 5:35 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
claw11 -
caseharts - Edgar has experience sure but I think Mendes is way faster. Phone Post
And Mendes is about 10 times a better athlete than Edgar! No one has even gotten close to taking him down in god knows how long! Man people are stupid! Phone Post 3.0
Its pretty obvious Chad is a next level athlete. With Duane as his striking coach and the monsters at team am he's going to be a legend one day. There's something crazy about his athleticism Jones or Anderson don't have its crazy but people don't appreciate it. Phone Post
9/12/13 7:37 PM
claw11

caseharts -
claw11 -
Its pretty obvious Chad is a next level athlete. With Duane as his striking coach and the monsters at team am he's going to be a legend one day. There's something crazy about his athleticism Jones or Anderson don't have its crazy but people don't appreciate it. Phone Post
Exactly man! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.