UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Pope To Atheists: Don't Believe?Still Go To Heaven

9/12/13 11:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sagiv Lapkin
1903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-atheists-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.” 

Robert Mickens, the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic journal The Tablet, said the pontiff’s comments were further evidence of his attempts to shake off the Catholic Church’s fusty image, reinforced by his extremely conservative predecessor Benedict XVI. “Francis is a still a conservative,” said Mr Mickens. “But what this is all about is him seeking to have a more meaningful dialogue with the world.” 

In a welcoming response to the letter, Mr Scalfari said the Pope’s comments were “further evidence of his ability and desire to overcome barriers in dialogue with all”.

In July, Francis signalled a more progressive attitude on sexuality, asking: “If someone is gay and is looking for the Lord, who am I to judge him?”

9/12/13 11:11 AM
Sogsteel
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lete just make stuff up as we go along. Wheeeee!
9/12/13 11:13 AM
Combat Sport Fan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this pope is going to get himself killed.
9/12/13 11:13 AM
Sagiv Lapkin
1903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta give credit where credit is due. This Pope is awesome. Carries his own bags, personally calls people on the phone who write him letters, etc.

9/12/13 11:15 AM
fanat

Hypothetical question here:

There is an atheist who has been a good person all his life - doctor or a fire fighter who went out of his way and always tried to help others.

There is a murderer or some other horrible criminal who is a Catholic and goes to Church and a believer.

Are you telling me the murderer will go to heaven over atheist if he confesses his sins or something?
9/12/13 11:16 AM
DoctorVanNostran

The only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. If you're not a believer, it is impossible. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 11:16 AM
Willybone
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I definitely admire this new Pope's outlook and message.

The concept that you could be the best person in the world and follow all the important rules, but still be condemmed to eternal hell strictly because you didn't profess a specific faith is, to me, directly contrary to the concept of a merciful God.

9/12/13 11:18 AM
SnapLocally
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoctorVanNostran - The only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. If you're not a believer, it is impossible. Phone Post 3.0

If you're Mormon you become a god and get your own planet!
9/12/13 11:21 AM
TheVirginMary
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well,fuck.There goes the neighborhood.
9/12/13 11:22 AM
BigEyedFish

this is not going to sit well with his fanatic constituency
9/12/13 11:25 AM
Sagiv Lapkin

Also: Catholic priests may be allowed to marry amid Papal changes

9/12/13 11:25 AM
SlickPacific

And they thought the other one was senile.
9/12/13 11:27 AM
ptper
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fanat - Hypothetical question here:

There is an atheist who has been a good person all his life - doctor or a fire fighter who went out of his way and always tried to help others.

There is a murderer or some other horrible criminal who is a Catholic and goes to Church and a believer.

Are you telling me the murderer will go to heaven over atheist if he confesses his sins or something?

Yes. Jeffrey Dahmer is in Heaven.
9/12/13 11:28 AM
MickColins
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fanat - Hypothetical question here:

It isn't just confessing. He has to be truly sorry for what he's done and live a life atoning for it. Phone Post 3.0
Munk

Yeah it would be great if it's a who is the best person get's into heaven contest...but it's not.

God is without sin, so anyone with the least little sin can not be a part of him. Because God is the source of eternal life the result of cutting ourselves off from him is death. Knowing that man can not make himself sinless and thus restore the relationship to what he intended, he chose to suffer that consequence in our place.

God isn't dying to judge people on some ledger of rights and wrongs, he died to keep you from being judged because you can't pass. So this pope can say whatever he wants, it's irrelevant. Jesus said he had to do it and there is no other way.
MickColins
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It isn't just confessing. He has to be truly sorry for what he's done and live a life atoning for it. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 11:30 AM
Vitor29

My in laws are pentecostal and they hold this very belief. They've even said that all sins are equal and when I asked them if telling a lie was as bad as molesting a child they said yes. Phone Post
9/12/13 11:30 AM
invalid
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ptper - 

Not with those glasses 

Talk about 1st degree murder of fashion amirite?

9/12/13 11:31 AM
fanat

MickColins - 

And what if that person is truly sorry? That makes it ok somehow?

Are you telling me if Hitler and Stalin confessed and felt truly sorry they would be in Heaven???
9/12/13 11:33 AM
Rev Horror

Eater of Sacred Cows, Pwner

Real Catholics to Pope: Try learning your own professed religion.

9/12/13 11:35 AM
ptper
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - 
ptper - 

Not with those glasses 

Talk about 1st degree murder of fashion amirite?

His vision was restored to 20/20 when he entered the pearly gates of Heaven to walk the streets of gold with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (and any of his victims who happened to be saved before he brutally murdered and ate them after fucking them in the ass).
9/12/13 11:36 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well just when I think I may have seen everything.
9/12/13 11:36 AM
paw
1303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin - 

Gotta give credit where credit is due. This Pope is awesome. Carries his own bags, personally calls people on the phone who write him letters, etc.

This

9/12/13 11:37 AM
Jacinto
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What he is saying makes sense to me. I don't think an honorable,compassionate person that lives a good life is gonna be kept from entering the pearly gates by not being a believer or being sure God exists. Not saying that there is a glorious afterlife or anything as i really don't have any idea that there is or not.
9/12/13 11:42 AM
Jack Carter
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sogsteel - Lete just make stuff up as we go along. Wheeeee!
The Catholic Church has been doing that for well over a thousand years.

Their perversion of The Word of God is epic because of how it has permeated the Christian belief system Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.