UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mayweather/Canelo, record setting 20 million gate

9/12/13 4:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GayGuardMooseSaucy
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@SBNLukeThomas: $20,003,150 is announced as the new live gate receipt for #TheOne. There's your #boxing record, folks. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 4:39 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn!!
That's fucking crazy Phone Post
9/12/13 4:53 PM
Andersons'sPiece
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tabello - It'd be cool if it broke the paper view record as well
How can we view it on paper? Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 5:13 PM
bdog7
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Dude he's fucking with you, it's pay per view. Can't wait for this fight I just hope Canello can make Floyd fight that will make for an epic fight!
9/12/13 5:19 PM
bdog7
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Lol i might have
9/12/13 5:19 PM
EatonBeever
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But mma.tv & ufc fan boys told me boxing is DEAD over 4 years ago!?!?!  How could this be ????

9/12/13 5:28 PM
Frames4Life

EatonBeever -

But mma.tv & ufc fan boys told me boxing is DEAD over 4 years ago!?!?!  How could this be ????

I was counting down to this lol.

Will be interesting to see what the live boxing industry pulls in from sept to the new year.

Great few months ahead. Phone Post
9/12/13 7:27 PM
MMA Playwright
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had they put Butterbean in the co-main event, we'd be talking about 3 million PPV sales.
9/12/13 7:32 PM
MMAhaiku
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't make more seats in the MGM Grand. This gate says to me ticket prices were inflated to a ridiculous degree to attract rich phonies who are only going to be seen at an event.

Good for boxing though. Canelo wins in the hopes that boxing gets a new cash cow. FMJ can't go on forever, so 3 or 4 fights vs Canelo could set up the next decade of the sport. Phone Post
9/12/13 7:56 PM
KingOfFighters

MMAhaiku -  You can't make more seats in the MGM Grand. This gate says to me ticket prices were inflated to a ridiculous degree to attract rich phonies who are only going to be seen at an event.

Good for boxing though. Canelo wins in the hopes that boxing gets a new cash cow. FMJ can't go on forever, so 3 or 4 fights vs Canelo could set up the next decade of the sport. Phone Post

Rich phonies? huge boxing fights are huge socialite events. Anybody whos anybody will be there. you wont see any tapout goofs there, everyone wil be in suits, wearing their sunday best.
9/12/13 7:58 PM
MMAhaiku
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingOfFighters -
MMAhaiku -  You can't make more seats in the MGM Grand. This gate says to me ticket prices were inflated to a ridiculous degree to attract rich phonies who are only going to be seen at an event.

Rich phonies? huge boxing fights are huge socialite events. Anybody whos anybody will be there. you wont see any tapout goofs there, everyone wil be in suits, wearing their sunday best.
How is that not rich and phony? If "anyone who was anyone" really loved the sport of boxing like "tapout goofs" love mma, boxing might not be mortgaging its future on this fight. Phone Post
9/12/13 8:22 PM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAhaiku - 
KingOfFighters -

How is that not rich and phony? If "anyone who was anyone" really loved the sport of boxing like "tapout goofs" love mma, boxing might not be mortgaging its future on this fight. Phone Post

I don't think King understands the term "rich phonies", at least in this context.

The fact that celebrities who have very little interest in the sport of boxing overall will pay big bucks just to be seen at the fight is pretty much the definition of phony (as a celebrity, it's a given they are rich).
9/12/13 8:35 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rich Phonies? Like Dana who happens to be rich and loves boxing? Just face it, people fucking love boxing. All races. It's exactly why 40K people packed the Alamodome for Canelo/Trout. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 8:40 PM
Pancake Syrup Ali
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayweather making that money. Pretty jealous about how much he makes lol

9/12/13 8:46 PM
MMAhaiku

GayGuardMooseSaucy - Rich Phonies? Like Dana who happens to be rich and loves boxing? Just face it, people fucking love boxing. All races. It's exactly why 40K people packed the Alamodome for Canelo/Trout. Phone Post 3.0
People love events. Why does Wrestlemania fill 70k seat stadiums when Monday Night Raw might get a fraction of that?

If people loved boxing that much you wouldn't have 2 fighters taking the overwhelming majority of all time ppv sales.

And this isn't about a love for sport. This about a 2M gate being a result of inflated ticket prices for an event. Phone Post
9/12/13 8:59 PM
Frames4Life

MMAhaiku - You can't make more seats in the MGM Grand. This gate says to me ticket prices were inflated to a ridiculous degree to attract rich phonies who are only going to be seen at an event.

You are clueless about this event and Boxing in general. Phone Post
9/12/13 9:02 PM
Frames4Life

MMAhaiku -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - Rich Phonies? Like Dana who happens to be rich and loves boxing? Just face it, people fucking love boxing. All races. It's exactly why 40K people packed the Alamodome for Canelo/Trout. Phone Post 3.0
People love events. Why does Wrestlemania fill 70k seat stadiums when Monday Night Raw might get a fraction of that?

If people loved boxing that much you wouldn't have 2 fighters taking the overwhelming majority of all time ppv sales.

And this isn't about a love for sport. This about a 2M gate being a result of inflated ticket prices for an event. Phone Post
Lol @ inflated ticket prices.

again, stop. You are embarrassing yourself, do even the slightest bit of research into this event.

Compared to other boxing PPVs this is an absolute bargain. Phone Post
9/12/13 9:06 PM
MMAhaiku

Frames4Life -
MMAhaiku - You can't make more seats in the MGM Grand. This gate says to me ticket prices were inflated to a ridiculous degree to attract rich phonies who are only going to be seen at an event.

How so? Boxing lost FMJ/Pac and the ppv were trending downward with the incessant rematches. The promoters got the media machine behind Canelo and put him into a sellable match with FMJ. It is being sold the way FMJ/Pac would've been sold 3 years ago.

Its a huge event, no doubt. But a $2M gate isn't all that impressive when you consider the jacked up prices that appeal to people that just want to attend an "event". Phone Post
9/12/13 9:11 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

20m* gate

And what will your excuse be when 2 million or more ppv buys roll in? Those people didn't love the sport either? They just love events? No. I could spend $0 and watch college football, instead I'm spending $75 to watch one of the best boxing cards ever put together because I love the sport. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 9:14 PM
MMAhaiku

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 20m* gate

And what will your excuse be when 2 million or more ppv buys roll in? Those people didn't love the sport either? They just love events? No. I could spend $0 and watch college football, instead I'm spending $75 to watch one of the best boxing cards ever put together because I love the sport. Phone Post 3.0
If people loved the sport, more ppvs would do a million+ than FMJ. Its the event, and I'm sure it will shatter ppv records. I hope it does. Phone Post
9/12/13 9:14 PM
Frames4Life

MMAhaiku -
Frames4Life -

How so? Boxing lost FMJ/Pac and the ppv were trending downward with the incessant rematches. The promoters got the media machine behind Canelo and put him into a sellable match with FMJ. It is being sold the way FMJ/Pac would've been sold 3 years ago.

Its a huge event, no doubt. But a $2M gate isn't all that impressive when you consider the jacked up prices that appeal to people that just want to attend an "event". Phone Post
Literally, with every word you type you sound more and more clueless.

Go on, you tell me why you think ticket prices are so high for this event, you tell me why you think the PPV price is $75 or whatever.

Then I'll tell you the real reason.

You are basically trying to argue that boxing is indeed dead or it will be when Floyd retires, this is despite the fact not only are we on the verge of the most lucrative boxing event in history in America but the sport is reaching insane levels of popularity across the globe.

Please continue, this is fun. Phone Post
9/12/13 9:15 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

cool! I'll be watching.

9/12/13 9:17 PM
MMAhaiku

Never once argued boxing is dead, but as a fan I can't deny that after FMJ there's really no one that can command the attention. The prices are determined by the hype, but please enlighten me if I'm wrong. Phone Post
9/12/13 9:23 PM
EatonBeever
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing is not dead and will never be dead.  

1997 - "When Mike Tyson leaves Boxing, whos left?  Boxing will be DEAD"

2000 - "When RJJ & ODL leave boxing, who's left?  Boxing will be DEAD"

2013 - "When Mayweather & Pacquiao leave boxing, who's left?  Boxing will be DEAD"

This is probably the dumbest quote in the history of fan's opinion in combat sports.  There will ALWAYS be someone else.  Who?  None of us can see into the future, so we dont know whos after Floyd, but look at history.  No one thought anyone could replace Tyson in ppv, then RJJ and Oscar came along... Then no one thought they could be replaced, then Pac / Mayweather came along....  So of course there will be future champs.

And lets not even embarrass the UFC fan boys by pulling the American curtain down and revealing just how bigger Boxing is than UFC / MMA world wide.  In Europe , Klitschko bros pull in the MOST sick television numbers that Anderson vs. GSP vs. Bones couldn't even pull here in the States.  I know people from Germany and those countries in Europe and they've never heard of co-main events on a UFC card.  Ask a 'casual' sports fan overseas about David Haye or Klitschkos.  They are 1000x more popular and profitable than the UFC folks.

9/12/13 9:27 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Jesus fuck, don't you realize that this is why we have boxing after dark, ShoBox, FNF, etc? To DEVELOP new stars. It took Floyd to fight a superstar to finally do 1 million ppv buys and then he exploded. When teenage Floyd was trying to win an Olympic Medal, there was a guy named Mike Tyson selling millions of ppvs. How in the world would anybody sell ppvs like him after he retired?

Please stop, you don't know shit about boxing. Stick to mma Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.