UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mayweather/Canelo, record setting 20 million gate

9/12/13 9:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMAhaiku
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this the Twilight Zone? Not arguing boxing's demise. Not comparing boxing to MMA.

Enjoy the fights on Saturday, everyone. Cheers. Phone Post
9/12/13 9:49 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAhaiku - Is this the Twilight Zone? Not arguing boxing's demise. Not comparing boxing to MMA.

Enjoy the fights on Saturday, everyone. Cheers. Phone Post
"I can't deny that after FMJ there's really no one that can command the attention."

That's exactly what you're doing. Like EB pointed out, this shit happens every decade.

There's always new stars being bred Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 9:49 PM
Frames4Life
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAhaiku - Never once argued boxing is dead, but as a fan I can't deny that after FMJ there's really no one that can command the attention. The prices are determined by the hype, but please enlighten me if I'm wrong. Phone Post
Molina v Ishe Smith , IBF world champion born and bred in Vegas.

Lucas Matthysse v Danny Garcia. PPV worthy, this is the one that has the fans drooling, potential FOTY.

Floyd v Canelo. Nuff said.

Lol @ this card, THIS CARD OF ALL THE CARDS being hype. Phone Post
9/12/13 10:02 PM
Frames4Life

For your future stars you are looking at...

Vyasil Lomachenko
Anthony Joshua

More immediately, It, pains me to say it but Broner might also be a real ticket seller and of course Rigo. Phone Post
9/12/13 10:32 PM
MarkRobinson
1427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are some tremendous figures. Canelos popularity is really driving this fight as well.

the kid is a star and it was a great business move by Floyd to set up this fight.

Win or lose Canelo is going to have a long and lucrative career. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 10:45 PM
jaytrainwreck
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingOfFighters -
MMAhaiku -  You can't make more seats in the MGM Grand. This gate says to me ticket prices were inflated to a ridiculous degree to attract rich phonies who are only going to be seen at an event.

Good for boxing though. Canelo wins in the hopes that boxing gets a new cash cow. FMJ can't go on forever, so 3 or 4 fights vs Canelo could set up the next decade of the sport. Phone Post

Rich phonies? huge boxing fights are huge socialite events. Anybody whos anybody will be there. you wont see any tapout goofs there, everyone wil be in suits, wearing their sunday best.
Most of your esteemed "socialites" are mooks who just want to be seen. Hell, most of them probably don't know who is fighting. Phone Post 3.0
9/12/13 10:59 PM
EatonBeever
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2006:
Boxing - DLH vs. Mayorga - 920K
UFC - UFC 66 'Ortiz vs. Liddell 2'- 1.05 million

2007:
Boxing - DLH vs. Mayweather - 2.4 million
UFC - UFC 79 - 700k

2008:
Boxing - Pacquaio vs. DLH - 1.2 million
UFC - UFC 91 "Lesnar vs. Couture" - 1 million

2009:
Boxing - Mayweather vs. Marquez - 1.05 million
UFC - UFC 100 'Lesnar vs. Mir 2, GSP'- 1.6 million

2010:
Boxing - Mayweather vs. Mosley - 1.40 Million
UFC - UFC 116 "Lesnar vs. Carwin" - 1.16 million

2011:
Boxing: Pac vs. Marquez IV - 1.45 million
UFC: UFC 129 "GSP vs. Shields" - 800k

2012:
Boxing: Mayweather vs. Cotto - 1.5 million
UFC: UFC 148 'Anderson vs. Sonnen 2' - 925k

The last UFC to break 1 million was in 2010 and that was thanks to Vince McMahon, not Dana White.   UFC doesn't build superstars, they build a name brand to rule MMA.  It worked late 2000 , but as we can see in the numbers, UFC continues to lose the number one ppv to Boxing every year.  Only two UFC ppvs got number one, 2006 and 2009.  That was it.  The rest was ruled by Boxing, Mayweather / Pac....

UFC 158 GSP vs. Diaz is at 950k.  Mayweather vs. Canelo should demolish that considering this fight is being promoted way more and talked about way more than Robert Guererro.  The only 'story' from the Guerrero-Floyd fight was that Floyd left HBO to Showtime and was getting out of jail.  The 'story' for this fight is Canelo is a 22 year old phenom who is undefeated just like Floyd , and whom some predict if Floyd is going down , it will be to this kid superstar.
9/13/13 1:49 AM
Chorizo
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such a great breakdown by Eatenbeaver and all I can think about is "paper view".
9/13/13 3:07 AM
EatonBeever
433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson Silva = 15 ppvs....Only ONE was number one UFC ppv of the year....  This was the so-called 'Mayweather or Fedor' of the UFC.  The UFC Poster boy, the so-called 'Goat' according to idiots.  Even this guy, the UFC still couldn't even promote his fights or legacy properly.

The number one ppvs of each year was in partly thanks to Brock Lesnar.  2008, 2009, and 2010 - all went to Brock Lesnar!  He wasn't the best fighter.  He was overrated , a Bob Sapp 2.0.  But why these big numbers, because Vince McMahon was brilliant at marketing talent.  People knew Lesnar before he entered UFC.  Dana just profited off of it.  Dana White and co refuse to build superstars because they dont have life time contracts for the fighters and want the ability to deminish their resume and 'cut' them at will.  When you do this, you throw legacy and history out the window.  Then sometimes they come back and what does that tell the audience?   Who gives a fuck about this guy.

Now - lets take a look at Floyd Mayweather.  This guy promoted himself to superstardom.  He helped create HBO 24/7.  He marketed himself to build himself up as a superstar.  And because he has the skill to back it up, it draws money.  Usually in Boxing, its about the record and talk about a fighter to attract an audience.  but a few like Ali, Mayweather, Tyson - these guys can market themselves by showing the world who they are and what their opinions / character are.  It creates a buzz.  These boxers didn't work for Dana White, afraid to lose their jobs and be cut from an organization.  They are superstars.  And UFC builds a brand name, not promote their fighters.  The only guy I can think of that did this was Chael Sonnen, who built himself as a superstar.  And he did it so well, exposed himself to the public eye so much, the guy got back to back title shots in two different weight classes!!   UFC didn't give him a title shot because of his record, but they decided to cash in on his popularity and buzz, the same way they cashed in on Brock Lesnar.  Vince made Brock.  Sonnen made Sonnen.  UFC made NO ONE.   UFC won't get the biggest ppv and have a world wide audience, because they dont need to.  They market themselves as a brand and the same frat boys will continue to purchase the ppv each month regardless of who is on the card.  And if the UFC knows their product will be purchased regardless, why build a superstar that could leave the UFC and make another org rich ?  Why pay big money to a main event when they dont have to because so many 'hungry' fighters can easily take the main event to save uncle dana a nickel.

9/13/13 3:15 AM
EatonBeever

2013 UFC PPV numbers

UFC 156 'Aldo vs. Edgar - 330k

UFC 157 'Rousey vs. Carmouche' - 450k

UFC 158 'GSP vs. Diaz' - 950k <----Dream Match, Diaz a Superstar. GSP a Superstar...Hence the big ppv #'s

UFC 159 'Jones vs. Sonnen' - 550k

UFC 160 'Cain vs. Bigfoot 2' - 380k <---This was a HW championship fight which is suppose to be the biggest fights of them all, and yet lowest ppv buyrate.  Pathetic UFC cant even promote a HW champion.....

UFC 161 'Henderson vs. Evans' - 180k

UFC 162 'Anderson vs. Weidman' - 550k

UFC 163 'Aldo vs. Korean Zombie' - 170k

We are toward the end of the year and these numbers are MUCH lower than the previous 5 years.  I know there is a rumor UFC is for sale which is probably untrue, but if the UFC is on the decline which it is, I can def see Zuffa cashing in on its popularity before it dies off like pro wrestling of 90's.

9/13/13 7:40 AM
Leck Brosnar

Frames4Life -  For your future stars you are looking at...

Vyasil Lomachenko
Anthony Joshua

More immediately, It, pains me to say it but Broner might also be a real ticket seller and of course Rigo. Phone Post

Don't forget Golovkin, he has the full package
9/13/13 7:55 AM
man meets fate

Leck Brosnar - 
Frames4Life -  For your future stars you are looking at...

Vyasil Lomachenko
Anthony Joshua

Don't forget Golovkin, he has the full package

Most definitely ggg

Broner is going to be the one to take over the shit talking. He is literally a clone of floyd.... just more immature

Lucas matthysse will be are new knockout king

Rigondeaux also has a chance to be a major star.

Ward definitely deserves it but feel he will never get that oppritunity

If amir khan had a damn chin he would already be a huge star in the u.s

So much talent has appeared the past couple years its insane
9/13/13 9:34 AM
thembones
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really weird to see a ppl claim boxing will be dead after Floyd, in a fight where he's fighting the next PPV superstar.

Fans who aren't completely clueless about boxing remember that Floyd was a PPV dud for most of his career. It wasnt until he fought Gatti and then DLH, and started embracing the Money Mayweather heel persona that he became a star. Back when he fought DLH, there were UGers claiming boxing was dead after DLH and that Floyd couldn't carry a PPV on his own.

If you really think boxing is dead after Floyd, you know about as much about boxing history as the "rich phonies" that will be watching this event. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 10:46 AM
Hikikomori
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White is MMAs biggest star. That is a major problem. It was disgusting to see Dana featured in the opening credits of TUF. It went Ronda, Meisha, and then Dana? Wtf!

They need reality shows for Demitrius, Jones, Pettis, Weidman, and Aldo Phone Post
9/13/13 11:02 AM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yawn....
9/13/13 6:15 PM
Frames4Life

Anyone watching this shit?

I've never seen anything like this. Phone Post
9/13/13 6:40 PM
man meets fate

I wonder how much dana spent? He said he paid a shitload of money for his tickets. So I'm guessing floor seats probably start out anywhere from 4k and all the way up to maybe 6k and cheapest ticket being $300
9/13/13 6:42 PM
man meets fate

MMAhaiku - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy - 20m* gate

And what will your excuse be when 2 million or more ppv buys roll in? Those people didn't love the sport either? They just love events? No. I could spend $0 and watch college football, instead I'm spending $75 to watch one of the best boxing cards ever put together because I love the sport. Phone Post 3.0
If people loved the sport, more ppvs would do a million+ than FMJ. Its the event, and I'm sure it will shatter ppv records. I hope it does. Phone Post

If people loved mma then Anderson vs weidman would have gotten way more than 550k ppv buys. It can go both ways if you want to put it like that

9/13/13 7:01 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatonBeever -

2006:

2007:
UFC - UFC 79 - 700k

2008:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

The last UFC to break 1 million was in 2010 and that was thanks to Vince McMahon, not Dana White.   UFC doesn't build superstars, they build a name brand to rule MMA.  It worked late 2000 , but as we can see in the numbers, UFC continues to lose the number one ppv to Boxing every year.  Only two UFC ppvs got number one, 2006 and 2009.  That was it.  The rest was ruled by Boxing, Mayweather / Pac....

UFC 158 GSP vs. Diaz is at 950k.  Mayweather vs. Canelo should demolish that considering this fight is being promoted way more and talked about way more than Robert Guererro.  The only 'story' from the Guerrero-Floyd fight was that Floyd left HBO to Showtime and was getting out of jail.  The 'story' for this fight is Canelo is a 22 year old phenom who is undefeated just like Floyd , and whom some predict if Floyd is going down , it will be to this kid superstar.
Doesnt ufc do more ppvs per year than boxing? (Idk)... and if so, couldn't that account in some way for lower numbers when comparing the #1 s? Wouldn't the spreading out of ppv #s over multiple events play some role?....if ufc were to do fewer ppvs per year (equal to boxing say), thus putting higher ranked/ more contender/title fights on each card, would that make a difference in the overall #s?? Phone Post
9/13/13 7:11 PM
EatonBeever

TheGoldenRule - 
EatonBeever -

2006:

2007:
UFC - UFC 79 - 700k

2008:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

Doesnt ufc do more ppvs per year than boxing? (Idk)... and if so, couldn't that account in some way for lower numbers when comparing the #1 s? Wouldn't the spreading out of ppv #s over multiple events play some role?....if ufc were to do fewer ppvs per year (equal to boxing say), thus putting higher ranked/ more contender/title fights on each card, would that make a difference in the overall #s?? Phone Post

I think you missed the point.  The people claiming boxing is dead , ufc taking over, yet UFC does not provide the number one ppv of the year.  That goes to Boxing each year.  So how can a 'dead' sport produce the number one ppv of the year ?

9/13/13 7:50 PM
PrettyBoy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAhaiku -

And what will your excuse be when 2 million or more ppv buys roll in? Those people didn't love the sport either? They just love events? No. I could spend $0 and watch college football, instead I'm spending $75 to watch one of the best boxing cards ever put together because I love the sport. Phone Post 3.0
If people loved the sport, more ppvs would do a million+ than FMJ. Its the event, and I'm sure it will shatter ppv records. I hope it does. Phone Post
How many MMA events can do over a million? The answer nowadays is probably none. Boxing has events that do it every year the numbers have not been stagnant. They have been going up.

Floyd and Manny would have done even more than this in 2009-2010. That's just scary.

Boxing isn't mortgaging shit these super mega events keep happening every few years. And the big events that happen every year still out draw MMA.

You don't understand the sport or it's history. The whole world love boxing. There is nothing more elite than a high Profile prize fight. Just move on. Phone Post 3.0
9/13/13 8:12 PM
EatonBeever

PrettyBoy - 
MMAhaiku -

How many MMA events can do over a million? The answer nowadays is probably none. Boxing has events that do it every year the numbers have not been stagnant. They have been going up.

Floyd and Manny would have done even more than this in 2009-2010. That's just scary.

Boxing isn't mortgaging shit these super mega events keep happening every few years. And the big events that happen every year still out draw MMA.

You don't understand the sport or it's history. The whole world love boxing. There is nothing more elite than a high Profile prize fight. Just move on. Phone Post 3.0

UFC hasn't had a ppv go over a million since UFC 116 - Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin in 2010.  Three years and not one ppv over a million.  The last number one boxing ppv of the year to not exceed one million was in 2006 - seven years ago.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.